It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Hoping some expert sinus person can shed some light?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-09-2014, 07:26 AM   #1
    Smlpkg122
    (female)

Smlpkg122 HB User
    Unhappy Hoping some expert sinus person can shed some light?

First off, I apologize for this being a little long, but one needs to get the full story. I would so appreciate if anyone out there could take the time to read and comment.

Almost a year ago I had woke up with sinus pressure headache (bad) and really bad stuffed up nose. For the past 5 years I had suffered minorly with PND sometimes and took Claritin which worked well. When I woke up that morning I actually thought I was getting a cold. The headache went away and the symptoms of the cold stayed. I actually at that time had thought it was a cat that I had adopted and gave him up at the urging of an allergist only to find out that it was not the cat at all.

Since last February I have been to an allergist twice (once for full allergy testing) which only was positive for dogs (don't have one), dust mites, mold, and pollen. He said 90% of the population would test positive for dust mites and mold. I have been to my primary care numerous times who is a pulmonologist and started seeing an ENT about 3-4 times.

Every time I would go to the ENT, he would just want to do a nasal scope on me. Keep in mind I am self-pay as I did not have insurance. I am in the medical field and I kept telling him that I needed to be sent for a CT of the sinuses, but he would keep saying no. My symptoms kept getting worse. I always sounded like I had a stuffed up nose even when it was clear with no congestion, always had a dry hacking cough to the point of gagging, have not slept in my bed for 4 months, had a funny cigarette smell for a while, but now I have had no taste or smell for quite some time.

At the urging of my primary care, he was the one who finally sent me to have a CT scan of the sinuses (9 months later) in November and it showed pansinusitis. So basically because that ENT doctor made me wait and wait, now I have ALL sinuses blocked up.

During the course of 9 months I have been on 2- Z-packs, 2 steroid dosepaks, a 20 day course of prednisone, QVAR (hate that stuff), fluticasone nasal spray (still taking), Allergra D and Claritin (never know which would be better, can't tell you how many bottles of Cheratussin and tessalon perles and then in November after the CT scan showed pansinusitis I was put on a 6 week course of Augmentin/clavulanate. I also do nebulized breathing treatments. Sometimes I get a dry cough and cannot stop or catch my breath. Other times it will be wheezing. My pulmonologist just keeps saying that he thinks all the lung issues are related to the sinuses draining down into the lungs as he did a bronchoscopy in October and everything was clear.

I am truly at about the end of my rope. There have been times during those 8 months when it was just the stuffed nose. However, I went in the hospital in October for 3 days and had a bronchoscopy and CTA of the chest as I broke a rib from coughing. A 3 day stay with no insurance.......30,000. I took the 6 weeks of antibiotics and I am still having major nose blowing of pale yellow thick stuff at times, lots of coughing that keeps me awake (sometimes dry, sometimes sounds like bronchitis but can't get it up). Now I have an appt with a new ENT on the January 20th. I swear I think I should go after that first ENT that did not send me for a CT as he cost me a ton of money. I had a cruise planned and lost out on that as I went in the hospital (lost all the money), lost my dear sweet cat, and caused me to incur a huge hospital bill.

Has anyone at all ever had anything like this for so long or are my doctors just very lax? Maybe I am too patient. Of course when you have no insurance sometimes that curtails you from wanting to spend the money at the doctor.

I am just trying to figure out if after taking 6 weeks of antibiotics and still using up to 2 boxes of kleenex a week --should this be gone? Could it still be the infection draining after all this time. I often wonder when all the sinuses are blocked how long it takes for it to all drain out. I am also doing nasal rinses and seeing stuff there everytime also.

Again, I am so so sorry this is so long. It just seems that the doctors never want to listen to the entire story so they do not get the full picture. It seems even worse now as they are not paying attention to you because they have to be entering in their work on the electronic medical records. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
    Spyder96
    (male)

Spyder96 HB User
    Re: Hoping some expert sinus person can shed some light?

You may need Surgery, especially since you've had Sinusitis for a long time. On the CT Scan, which of the Sinuses are blocked up(filled with fluid)? I would advise getting Medical Insurance. You have had this problem for way too long.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #3
    Smlpkg122
    (female)

Smlpkg122 HB User
    Re: Hoping some expert sinus person can shed some light?

I did just get medical insurance the beginning of the year. That is the reason I am going to a new ENT doc. The one I was going to was absolutely too lax.

Closed Thread