It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus Surgery on Monday

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
    KelleyH
    (female)

KelleyH HB User
    Sinus Surgery on Monday

Hi there - My sinus surgery is scheduled for this Monday and because of my anxiety issues I am extremely freaking out! I had my pre-op appt yesterday which made it seem all the more real. I was just hoping maybe someone here could help me with my fears. I have never had surgery before where I had to be knocked out. I had a C-section with my 2nd child and that was bad enough. Im very worried about what its going to feel like being put under as well as possible complications of the anesthesia. Im also fearful about the surgery itself. the fact that its my sinuses and being so close to the brain makes me really scared. I have been dealing with chronic sinusitis since last June. It has not gone away and has only gotten worse. I have daily headaches, sinus pain and pressure, post nasal drip and a horrible stench in my nose. I am tired constantly and can hardly wake up in the morning and want to sleep all day - which isn't good with 2 kids (age 6 and 2). I had thought about sucking it up and just living like this because im so scared but I cant take how tired and sick I feel every day. I want my energy back. I just want to feel better again. I have been on every antibiotic possible and have done nasal sprays, saline sprays, and neti pot with no help. so Monday I am having endoscopic surgery on both sides and they are fixing my deviated septum. Has anyone had this surgery? How bad is it? r there a lot of risks? I want to feel better but I don't want to die either! anyway I have been in full on panic mode since yesterday. so any helpful advice would be appreciated! thank you!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
    Bea590
    (female)

Bea590 HB User
    Re: Sinus Surgery on Monday

First of all, right now pick up the phone and call the doctor's office and tell them your high level of anxiety and could you please have a small prescription of Valium (or whatever the doc says) to get you through the weekend. It's OK to do that...they will understand and not want you so stressed going into the surgery.

Going under is very simple and easy...they may ask you to count backwards from 100...you'll feel very relaxed and go 99, 98, 9....asleep. Then you wake up and it's all done. The only problem I ever had with anesthesia was being nauseated when I woke up. After that first time, I just told the anesthetist and they add something so that doesn't happen. Speak up! They need to know what you're worried about.

I had my surgery Nov 2012 and it was the best gift I ever gave myself. Life is so much better when you're not sick all the time!

Let us know how it goes and be sure to come back here if you have more questions.

Clare

Old 01-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
    KelleyH
    (female)

KelleyH HB User

Thanks for the response! I am already on anti-anxiety meds. I take Effexor every day and I also have a bottle of Xanax that I have been taking at night. It makes me sleepy so I cant take it during the day. My ENT told me to definitely take one the night before. Im glad to hear ur surgery went well and u are feeling much better now. That's all I want - is to not feel like this anymore. Its horrible. I have felt like a zombie every day for months and its an awful feeling! was the pain very bad after ur surgery?

Old 05-27-2014, 01:17 PM   #4
    SMARK2011
    (female)

SMARK2011 HB User

Hi KelleyH,

I know this post from you is old I was wondering how surgery went?? I just found out today that I have to have a ENT procedure done 6/18 it's a FESS w/Septoplasty. (Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery) I had a polyp surgery done 2 years ago but not like this one...my polyps are so severe, my septum is slightly deviated and since then I have been diagnosed with Samters Triad. My panic attacks and anxiety were nothing then, but now its gotten so much worse!! The thought of going under for what could be a few hours he said is terrifying!!!!

I'm freaking about the possibility of them hit my eyes and im blind or brain since they have to all the way onto my frontal sinuses as well!!!!!

Thanks in advance!!

Closed Thread