It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Had sinus surgery - now what?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-01-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
    KelleyH
    (female)

KelleyH HB User
    Had sinus surgery - now what?

So I had my surgery on Monday and survived. Now I'm trying to recover but it's taking longer than my dr said it would. He said I'd be fine after 4-5 days. 5 days later and I feel horrible. I feel like I have the worst sinus infection EVER. My head feels like its going to explode. My ears r full of pressure and my eyes r watery and blurry. I have been doing the sinus irrigation which makes me feel so much worse. Not all the water gets out and I can feel it in my nose/sinuses. I am getting out alot of clots but the pain I'm in afterwards is horrific! I also feel like I will never breathe thru my nose again I had my mom stay with me this week but is leaving tomorrow then I'm on my own with my kids again. I also work from home and I am supposed to start back up on Monday. But I can barely get out of bed now! I've tried to limit my pain meds to bedtime so that im not in a fog all day. But with the way my head and nose feels I can barely move. Is this all normal???? I really thought I'd be better by now! I just don't know how much more I can take!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
    adpace
    (female)

adpace HB Useradpace HB User
    Re: Had sinus surgery - now what?

I'm sorry you're feeling bad. If you had a traditional surgery, that can take up to 6 weeks to really heal from. I don't know what exactly you had done, but the healing process takes some time. However, if the rinses aren't providing you with any relief, I would call the doctor and express your concerns. I don't think you should be feeling pressure in your ears. I would say it's normal to feel a little congested for a while, but what you are describing doesn't sound quite like it should be. Did your doctor prescribe antibiotics for you take after the surgery?

In any case, it can't hurt to have a follow up appointment to make sure everything is healing as it should be. I do hope you get to feeling better soon!

Old 02-04-2014, 02:52 AM   #3
    KelleyH
    (female)

KelleyH HB User

Thanks. I have an appt with the Dr once a week and my next appt is today. Im going to tell him everything I've been feeling. The headaches and pressure r Horrible. I feel worse than I did before the surgery! I had FESS on both sides and my deviated septum was fixed. Do u know when u can blow ur nose? I did last night for the first time after I rinsed and so much blood came out. It was purple and old looking. Hopefully I didn't make myself worse.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

If your doctor told you that you would be "fine" 4-5 days after having a deviated septum repair, he was being wildly optimistic. Most people feel pretty good 4-5 days after having endoscopic sinus surgery but deviated septum repair is a fairly invasive procedure that can take quite a bit longer to recover from.

It's good that you have an appointment with the doctor today to get some answers but it generally takes at least 5 days before you'll start to feel better and may take a couple of weeks. It will take 4-6 weeks for all of the swelling to go down and for the tissues inside your nose to heal. In the meantime, keep up the irrigation (be sure you're using correctly balanced saline solution for the irrigation) and take it as easy as possible to give yourself a chance to heal.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:38 PM   #5
    KelleyH
    (female)

KelleyH HB User

Thanks! Yes he never explained the septum surgery was more invasive. That's probably y I am still not feeling better. I had an appt today and he said my left side (which was the worst) was looking really good. But my right side I needed to do the rinse better. I have been doing the left more cause the right hasn't felt as clogged. But he said im coming along good. He scraped and sucked out some junk. Actually felt better for most of the day after that. Also said my cultures came back and I tested pos for a resistant strain of staph. So had to be put on a diff antibiotic. I really pray this infection doesn't come back. I had it for 7 months and I do not want to be sick anymore OR have this surgery again!

Closed Thread