It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• chronic cough for 4 months

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #1
    lennysmom
    (female)

lennysmom HB User
    chronic cough for 4 months

I have had a productive mucous cough for over 4 months with general cold & flu symptoms that come and go. Slight digestive issues w/ GERD (small hiatal hernia) as well as fatigue. I have taken 4 types of antibiotics, twice with steroids, cough syrup, regular inhalers, Advair and another inhaler with steroid, all with no relief. CT scan of chest, spirometry and breathing challenge tested as normal. CT of sinus showed left maxillary cyst with inflammation. Eosinophils (14.6%) and monocytes (14.5%) high, and lymphocytes (18.4%) low, but absolutes run in normal range. Eosinophil, monocyte and lymphocyte counts were normal 9 months prior. Any likelihood the cyst is causing all of this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: chronic cough for 4 months

Yes. It could be that the cyst is contributing to Post Nasal Drip which can be a cause of cough.

The most common causes of dry chronic cough are: asthma, allergies, PND, acid reflux.

Since you have been 'productive', you are probably dealing with something more. Personally, I've found that a cold or flu can trigger a chronic cough, even when the original symptoms are gone.

Have you been tested for Pertussis/Whooping Cough? It can easily last as long as you've had your cough.

What doctors have you seen? When I get chronic coughs, I tend to see my Primary Care Doc, Gastroenterologist, ENT/Allergist, and Pulmonologist.

Right now, I've had my cough since November, and I've tried many of the things you have. I know I have multiple triggers, but I still haven't been able to find the correct combination of things to get the cough under control.

I wish you well with your treatment.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:03 AM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: chronic cough for 4 months

I doubt the cyst is causing this. With your eosinophils so high, it is most likely related to allergies, If the mucous you cough up is clear or white, it is from inflammation. If it is yellow or green, you should have a sputum culture and sensitivity done to identify the bacteria and what antibiotic will work against it. Mycoplasma infection is common and can be identified by mycoplasma antibodies in the blood. Other things like TB, histoplasmosis, valley fever (coccidiomycosis) should be considered as well, depending on where you live. I would see an allergist and pulmonologist to get to the bottom of it, since it has been going on so long.

Closed Thread

Tags
    cough, sinus infection