It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Is this a sign of sinus or inner ear?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-10-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
    Kmj023
    (female)

Kmj023 HB User
    Is this a sign of sinus or inner ear?

Since last Tuesday night after my shower, I've been feeling as if I'm on an elevator when I stand up. My head makes me feel bouncy. When I lay down, it subsides and may come and go but then don't feel this symptom until I stand up again. Small rooms, like my bathroom make it a little worse sometimes. It's been a little better today. I went outside and didn't feel it and I walk straight. My balance seems normal I guess. I could walk a straight line for a cop. Hehe. It's really annoying though when it happens. Was wondering if anyone has had this. It isn't a spinning effect, just pretty much feels like an elevator!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
    coffeelove
    (female)

coffeelove HB User
    Re: Is this a sign of sinus or inner ear?

Hi Kmj023
    I wanted to post a reply because I have been feeling a little of what you are feeling for about 4 months now. its an off balance feeling I also have post nasal drip and super dry nasal passages. I feel like its sinus issues without the constant sneeze or drippy nose. I have greyish green mucus its so gross....I have an ENT appointment soon! I hope you are feeling better!

Old 02-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
    Kmj023
    (female)

Kmj023 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coffeelove View Post
    Hi Kmj023
    I wanted to post a reply because I have been feeling a little of what you are feeling for about 4 months now. its an off balance feeling I also have post nasal drip and super dry nasal passages. I feel like its sinus issues without the constant sneeze or drippy nose. I have greyish green mucus its so gross....I have an ENT appointment soon! I hope you are feeling better!
    I went to urgent care on Tuesday and it was an unpleasant trip. I told the dr about this elevator feeling as I like to call it and she asked about my sinuses I told her that sometimes my head feels tight and that I can feel some pressure at times and I have some nasal congestion. She went to look at my ears and said they were impacted with wax and without a doubt said that was probably my problem and I thought so too. So they irrigated both of them but had a hard time getting the wax out of left one. So went to right ear and got all wax out of that one and told me I had a little fluid in my right middle ear. But she didn't say that was the cause of my symptoms. She was pretty sure it was ear wax. They couldn't finish removing the ear wax from the left ear and it was hurting from the irrigation so they wanted me to go back the next day. She did not even bother checking my sinuses! She gave me prescription for nasonex. Then I
    Was out of there.

Next day was worse, went back and had two different doctors and they were quacks. The dr said I had swimmers ear in left ear cause he said it was irritated so I'm sure the irrigation caused that. No fluid found in left ear. Just right one.

I've got an appt with my main dr on march 11th. And in the mean time I have been getting some answers from drs on an app on my phone. Health tap. 3 doctors have told me it's middle ear fluid. An ent told me it wouldn't be an inner ear issue if I had fluid in my middle ear. And all my friends say it's middle ear and so that's what I'm hoping it is. It could be sinuses alone but not sure. Again, my sinuses have not been checked.

Have you had your ears checked? Sinuses?

And as far as the symptoms. Mine is like I'm on an elevator. It feels like the floor underneath me is bouncing. When I stand up, bend or lean over and then stand up I will feel it. It's worse on hard surface floors. I can sit in chairs just fine and sit on my bed just fine. Can barely notice it outdoors.

Sometimes when I look directly infront of me nothing I see is bouncing. But I can feel it and feel like things beside me are. It's so hard to explain.

You can share with me how your symptoms are. Maybe we can both be free of this real soon!

Old 02-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Just a suggestion for those of you with ear wax issues. Don't let them irrigate to remove it. If' it's compacted, irrigation will make it worse. My ENT uses a crochet hook looking instrument. It's not comfortable but it really cleans out the ear much more easily. I have mine done every 6 months

Old 02-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
    Kmj023
    (female)

Kmj023 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    Just a suggestion for those of you with ear wax issues. Don't let them irrigate to remove it. If' it's compacted, irrigation will make it worse. My ENT uses a crochet hook looking instrument. It's not comfortable but it really cleans out the ear much more easily. I have mine done every 6 months
    They put ear wax softener in mine then irrigated it and then started hurting then used the crotchet hook and picked it out. With the left ear they didn't even use a hook. The nurse let it fall out by irrigating it after it was already irritated. I don't know why they irrigated it. Maybe cause it was so impacted they couldn't see ear drums. I am still feeling pain coming and going in that ear. Right one is fine other than fluid.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:30 PM   #6
    Flor01
    (female)

Flor01 HB User

Omg I to have that elevator feeling but no one listens to me. What have you found out

Last edited by Administrator; 03-25-2014 at 01:06 PM.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:17 AM   #7
    Kmj023
    (female)

Kmj023 HB User

I saw my dr last week and told her about it. I always had been feeling dizzy headed too when turning my head or looking down then up. She checked my sinuses and didn't see an infection in the lower ones and she said she was gonna treat it as a frontal sinus infection. I asked her like 3 times if she was sure and she said yes. And she did do a nuerological test on me, it consists of checking motor skills, sensory skills, and balance. She said my balance was fine and said that was a good thing. I asked her if it was my inner ear, like those disorders and mentioned bppv to her, she quickly stopped me and told me to stop reading stuff over the internet, that those were rare. So I hope she's right.

She put me on amoxicillin and antivert. Cause of these crazy symptoms I've been having terrible anxiety and panic attacks. So I couldn't take the antivert cause she said not to take it with Xanax.

My blood work came back fine. My potassium showed up high but she thinks that was an error cause it happens a lot so I got to go back and have blood drawn again.

It's been one week now and I'm still having the elevator feeling even though it doesn't seem to be as severe like it was. My head still feels off too. Like pressure and pressure behind my eyes a little. I get that bouncing feeling a lot when I bend over. The dizzy head is better so i don't know if it was anxiety, sinuses, or my tense and sore shoulder. But it makes me wonder if my shoulder is playing a part in this now. I'm going to ask her about thst. It makes my neck tense.

I'm going to ask for another round of antibiotics and tell her I'm still having the symptoms. I'm so confused by these symptoms. I hear they can be easily misdiagnosed. I know it's not anxiety cause I wasn't having anxiety when it started happening. It triggered my anxiety.

How long have you been feeling the elevator?

Last edited by Administrator; 03-25-2014 at 01:07 PM.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
    Flor01
    (female)

Flor01 HB User

I've felt this off and on for years but it leaves me for long periods of time. My ent said it was my sinus blocking the air to my ears cuz of inflamation ?.
    ???????

Last edited by Administrator; 03-25-2014 at 01:05 PM.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #9
    Kmj023
    (female)

Kmj023 HB User

I am seeing ent. Did your vet give you meds to help yours?

Last edited by Administrator; 03-25-2014 at 01:07 PM.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:25 PM   #10
    Kmj023
    (female)

Kmj023 HB User

Ent not vet lol.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #11
    Flor01
    (female)

Flor01 HB User

He can't give me much because I have hbp and decongestants raise it. What did they do for you, are you better?

Old 03-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #12
    Kmj023
    (female)

Kmj023 HB User

I was on amoxicillin for 10 days and I felt a tiny bit of a change and today it's the sense of imbalance has been less. It feels like it's slowly getting better. It hasn't gotten worse. My anxiety is the only think that does make it worse so I have Xanax to help with anxiety. It seems like the days my head feel pressure is when I can feel it the most. It will do it bad when I lean or bend over and today I bent over just a little and was ok. My dr also gave me a different medicine, it's called azithromycin. It treats bacterial infections, sinus infections, and tons of other things. I took two today and I will just take one the next 4 days. So maybe it will wipe it out for good. I'm praying for a miracle cause I don't want to see the ent, I have seen enough doctors lol. But if it's still there even just a little I'm still going. I really do believe that it's still sinuses related. It could be pressure on the ears, the bacteria from the sinus infection could have traveled to the ears. I have heard that sinuses can mess someone up. I just never thought it would be this bad. I don't think it's an inner ear disease, if so then it is odd from other people's cause I hear they get all kinds of vertigo and can't even drive.

Are you recently still feeling the elevator?

Old 03-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #13
    Flor01
    (female)

Flor01 HB User

Lately yes, but it came after stress. My father just passed, my head feels tight. They recommended sudafed but can't take that

Old 03-25-2014, 03:04 PM   #14
    Kmj023
    (female)

Kmj023 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flor01 View Post
    Lately yes, but it came after stress. My father just passed, my head feels tight. They recommended sudafed but can't take that
    I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I know that must make it all worse for you. I don't know why your ent couldn't give you an antibiotic unless you didn't have an infection. I know that can be taken with high blood pressure pills cause my mom does. Try mucinex. It helped my head for the time being. How did he check your sinuses? I have never been to one.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #15
    Flor01
    (female)

Flor01 HB User

He gave me antibiotics and nasal wash but what I can't take is anything wth a decongestant so therefore I can't reduce inflamation in my nose which affects the pressure to my ears. . He used a scope and a light and gave me atest to see where pressure was , yes stress definitely adds to it ,I use nasonex too , I need a good allergy pill now, yes I'm takin mucinex export ant but now I see there's a new allergy mucinex pill. I am in the valley so pollution is so bad here, wat else has worked for u

Closed Thread