It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Frontal Sinus Obliteration

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2014, 06:50 AM   #1
    catliz
    (female)

catliz HB User
    Frontal Sinus Obliteration

Hello, I am looking to connect with anyone who has any experience either having the Frontal Sinus Obliteration surgery or knowing someone close to them who has had it. I know this is a major surgery but I have had 8 failed endoscopic procedures to try to keep the left frontal sinus open. It has always closed up creating debilitating pain, pressure and constant infection. Now it has been completely obstructed by bone that has been removed on several occasions but keeps growing back. I don't understand why the bone keeps growing back! I have been asthmatic all my life and am allergic to NSAID's, have no quality of life, can't work anymore and am 55 years young and have a lot to live for! The posts I have seen previously on this board have been discouraging. Yes, i know this is a tough and very major operation and I am scared, but also very scared if this isn't done due to the complications of brain abscesses and meningitis from the infection getting into the brain. I know there are not many of us with the condition this severe. I live in Toronto, Canada and my surgeon has only seen and done 3 of these kinds of severe cases. He is my 4th ENT, specializes in difficult cases. Anyways, any feedback, discussion, experiences or support I would be appreciative of. Thank you for listening to my story!

Last edited by catliz; 02-19-2014 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
    Re: Frontal Sinus Obliteration

Sorry to hear that you're going through this.

The reason that frontal sinus obliteration isn't done that frequently is because it is an EXTREMELY invasive procedure that comes with its own set of risks from both the surgery and the long-term possibility of a sinus mucocele (mucus membrane that is missed during the procedure continuing to produce mucus and creating an encapsulated pocket of mucus within the closed sinus).

I would be EXTREMELY cautious about having a physician who has only performed the procedure 3 times do a frontal sinus obliteration given how invasive and complex the procedure is.

Have any of your previous procedures included a Modified Lothrop Procedure (a frontal sinus drillout in which they remove the bone from the floor/center line of the frontal sinus and create a single large sinus that improves drainage dramatically.

The Lothrop is the primary alternative to the sinus obliteration, is much less invasive and has generally good long-term results.

I'm also curious to know if you have a history of nasal polyps (you describe two of the three legs of something called Samter's Triad which includes aspirin/NSAID allergy, asthma and nasal polyps). Samter's can be tough to manage but some physicians have had great success with aspirin desensitization in dramatically reducing the inflammation and symptoms associated with Samter's triad (Singulair also seems to be effective in reducing polyp development).

I would absolutely exhaust all other options and, if you do get to a point where the obliteration is your only option, see if there's a surgeon who has more experience with the procedure (which means looking for a surgeon associated with a major research hospital who specializes in the treatment of sinus disease).

Old 08-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
    marsbonfire29
    (male)

marsbonfire29 HB User
    Re: Frontal Sinus Obliteration

Hey boss... (I realize your problem may have already been solved and this thread no longer applies)
    I had the sinus obliteration surgery Friday Sept 9, 2011. It was a 9 hr+ procedure. Once I awoke after the procedure, the nurses attending me were twittering in awe of the description and blow by blow record logged in the hospital's surgery book (which they are allowed to view YOUR surgery book-- a DETAILED record of the operation). What I stress in this thread is that my surgeon and I had ABSOLUTELY ZERO PROBLEMS immediately after the surgery as well as during the past three years. According to my surgeon, a sinus obliteration is likely the most complex surgery that a Head & Neck surgeon does. If you have experienced one since your Feb post, I hope you are healing without incident. If you're still in a holding pattern, I urge you to do the right thing long term. I wish you the very best and God Bless!!

And take care of yourself--Life is soooooo short!

Closed Thread