It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Balloon Sinuplasty - can anyone share experience?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-21-2014, 07:53 AM   #1
    BriteBabyBlue
    (female)

BriteBabyBlue HB User
    Balloon Sinuplasty - can anyone share experience?

Hello,

I am scheduled for a balloon sinuplasty procedure next month. Has anyone had this procedure that could share your experience with me? I see a lot of posts for the traditional sinus surgery but have not been able to find much on the balloon procedure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #2
    Bea590
    (female)

Bea590 HB User
    Re: Balloon Sinuplasty - can anyone share experience?

I had the balloon procedure, combined with traditional surgery where needed. I was an absolute basket case, terrified because I'd heard so many horror stories. My daughter brought me home, I dozed in the recliner for a few hours, (had to stay upright for 24 hours), had NO pain, very little drainage, felt fine by the next day. I was tired from being upright ... I don't sleep well unless I'm laying down on my side...but otherwise ok.

A week after surgery, and another week after that, I went to the doctor's office, where they squirted the numbing stuff up my nose and pulled the balloons out. It was unpleasant, not painful, for about 10 seconds, but that was all. I could breathe again and no more sinus infections for a year...and that because I had to fly with a cold. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again and wish I'd done it years ago.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
    BriteBabyBlue
    (female)

BriteBabyBlue HB User

Bea, Can I ask you a couple more questions One of my main problems in chronic post nasal drip which causes me to cough and clear my throat constantly. I have been on all steroid nasal sprays as well as antibiotics and other allergy/sinus medications and nothing really works. My other big concern is I have sinus headaches, pain, pressure in my face, forehead and around my eyes. Were these symptoms similar to yours? If so, did the procedure help these? I am also very scared and have considered cancelling it because I keep hearing horror stories, he is only doing the balloon on me, as far as I know. Thank you for responding, I really needed to hear from someone that had the procedure.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #4
    Bea590
    (female)

Bea590 HB User

Yes, those were the same symptoms, plus just feeling really sick, dizzy and weak all the time from the infections. I do have drainage, but not the kind that makes you cough...the reason for getting the surgery is to open up the sinuses so they drain and don't get stagnant and infected. I am being 100% honest that I had no pain. My surgeon was well aware of how scared I was and I think you need to tell him/her. You might want to take a Valium (they'll prescribe a small amount) or other anti-anxiety med. When is your surgery scheduled? Where? I had mine in the Kansas City area.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #5
    Bea590
    (female)

Bea590 HB User

Just wanted to add, it takes a few weeks to be completely healed and feeling wonderful...remember there will be some swelling that has to go down naturally, so don't expect instant results...although with the infection gone, I did feel much better almost right away.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
    BriteBabyBlue
    (female)

BriteBabyBlue HB User
    Smile Re: Balloon Sinuplasty - can anyone share experience?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bea590 View Post
    Just wanted to add, it takes a few weeks to be completely healed and feeling wonderful...remember there will be some swelling that has to go down naturally, so don't expect instant results...although with the infection gone, I did feel much better almost right away.
    Thanks Bea, I live in Northern Indiana by Notre Dame (South Bend) area. I can breath through my nose fairly well, but I still have the facial pain and pressure almost daily, I wake up with a sinus headache most mornings and the post nasal drip is bad. My ENT said the balloon procedure will help the headaches but might not help the drainage down my throat. I was thinking if he opens my sinuses to drain more efficiently then the secretions will not get so thick and stick in my throat, but I'm not sure if this is correct thinking. I have tried all the prescriptions and been to two ENT's. The only thing I have not tried is oral steroids.

I told him how scared I was and he said why? I said I was worried about the pain and the bleeding and he called it a discomfort more than pain and said there should not be much blood. But then I started researching it online and everyone says different. It is encouraging to hear your story, you must have a high pain tolerance! Thanks you for your response.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:26 PM   #7
    Bea590
    (female)

Bea590 HB User

No, I do NOT have a high pain tolerance! He was right, it's a bit uncomfortable...think of having a cold and not being able to take a deep breath through your nose and you're a bit swollen so there's a little pressure...but no pain. I think the people who have a lot of pain are having deviated septums cut and remade and things like that.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #8
    BriteBabyBlue
    (female)

BriteBabyBlue HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bea590 View Post
    No, I do NOT have a high pain tolerance! He was right, it's a bit uncomfortable...think of having a cold and not being able to take a deep breath through your nose and you're a bit swollen so there's a little pressure...but no pain. I think the people who have a lot of pain are having deviated septums cut and remade and things like that.
    Were you intubated? or just put to sleep normally, was there a tube in your mouth? One person on here said the intubation hurt worse. Now that I am reading all these boards I think I need to make a new list of Dr. questions before my procedure on April 9th.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
    Bea590
    (female)

Bea590 HB User

Hmmm, I don't know if I was intubated. I was put to sleep with an IV and didn't have a sore throat when I woke so I don't think I was. They would never intubate you when you were awake, so don't worry about that.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:46 AM   #10
    BriteBabyBlue
    (female)

BriteBabyBlue HB User

Hi Bea, I had a long phone conversation with my ENT. I feel a bit better now. He is doing four procedures with the balloon. 1) frontal sinusotomy 2) maxillary antrosotomy 3) concha bullosa resection 4) bilateral turbinate reduction. He said the only cutting he will be doing is a little bit for the concha bullosa removal. I wondered if that is what you had as well because you said you had the balloon procedure combined with traditional sinus surgery. He is using disolvable packing. I have two more questions for you - were you able to breath out of your nose at least little bit afterwards? and ultimately did this help your energy level? I feel I am more fatigued than I should be because of my chronic sinus headaches and drainage. Thanks again, so much!

Old 03-26-2014, 10:34 AM   #11
    Bea590
    (female)

Bea590 HB User

I'm so glad you were able to get this information and feel better about it! Yes, that's pretty much what I had...my doctor also used disolvable packing. Yes, I could breath through my nose right away. I felt "stuffy" like when you're coming down with a cold but not "stuffed up" for a week or more (it's hard to remember now!) while the swelling went down. And yes, I felt so much better without the chronic infections.

One thing that might help you is what I did...prepare a space for the first 24 hours...you have to sleep sitting up (unless your doctor says otherwise) so I moved the recliner to in front of the tv, with a pillow and a couple of blankets and a pair of pajamas/sweats to be comfy. I put a box of tissues on the table beside it and a small trash can, a bottle of hand sanitizer and some wipes. You might think of things you want handy. I had some dvd's that I'd been wanting to watch all ready and I drifted in and out of sleep while watching.

My daughter stayed with me for the first few hours in case I was dizzy (I wasn't, just sleepy) but she left before dinner time. My daughter-in-law brought me dinner for a few nights so I didn't have to bend over getting pots and pans to cook or you could have simple meals ready to pop in the microwave. Just plan ahead and to treat yourself to a good rest for a couple days and go easy for a few more after that. I was amazed at how easy it all was compared to my fears of what it would be.

When is your surgery?

Keep in touch!

Old 03-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #12
    BriteBabyBlue
    (female)

BriteBabyBlue HB User

My surgery is scheduled for Wednesday April 9th. I have a friend staying with me for a couple days and then I have two teenage kiddos that are very helpful, but they will be in school during the day. I am hoping to go back to work on Monday afterwards, I work at Notre Dame and have an office job.

I keep seeing where people are saying the intubation tube really hurt their throats, my Dr. said he uses an LMA (I had to Google that) and it does not go down into the trachea as far. Holy cow though,,,,there are nothing but horror stories out there, pain, blood, nausea, dry mouth. Your experience did not sound bad though. I'm hoping for that!

Old 03-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #13
    Bea590
    (female)

Bea590 HB User

The only reason the intubation tube would hurt is if the anesthetist is rough when they put it in. When you have your meeting before the surgery with him/her mention that you are concerned about a sore throat and they will be extra gentle. I've had several surgeries and only once had a scratchy throat when I woke up. And that was gone in a few hours.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #14
    BriteBabyBlue
    (female)

BriteBabyBlue HB User

Hi Bea, My surgery was on Wednesday and I am doing good so far. I had to have a little more than just the balloon, he did some cutting with a tool, but still the recovery has not been too bad so far, I have had a lot of blood drainage down the back of my throat, and I am a bit dizzy with a headache. I am taking the pain meds and they really help. It's only been 48 hours, so too soon to tell much else, but so far so good. Thanks again for your pointers and helping alleviate all my fears beforehand.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #15
    Bea590
    (female)

Bea590 HB User

Good news The dizziness is probably from the pain meds and that will go away when you can stop. Glad to hear you're doing well. Make sure you take it easy for the next week or so and give it all time to heal.

Bea

Closed Thread