It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus Polyp?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #1
    Flutterbye77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User
    Sinus Polyp?

I had a ct scan of my sinus's and my doctor found a mass which he thinks is a polyp. I am scared to be put under general but he said it's only 30 minutes and I should be fine.

Is general anesthesia the only way they can work on a sinus's?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
    Re: Sinus Polyp?

Hi flutterbye, My friend had this surgery last summer & she had all iv anesthesia, no gas & it was general however she had and most everyone if not everyone having a scheduled outpatient surgery has an anesthesia consult a day or two before the surgery & depending on the type of surgery & the surgeon, the anesthesiologist then will be able to offer different kind of anesthesia & answer questions regarding general & exactly his anesthesia plan for you. I took her to surgery & home & she was fine immediately afterwards & alert but she did nap off & on in the afternoon but was up & around by dinnertime. I hope everything goes well for your surgery & you can be to normal in no time!

The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
    Flutterbye77 (04-08-2014)
    Old 04-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Flutterbye: There are some ENTs who can use "twilight sleep" (conscious sedation) for some sinus procedures (you're not totally under but you may not remember the procedure), but it also depends on what needs to be done.

You mentioned in your post that your ENT "thinks" it's a polyp - did the doctor explain where the polyp is (which sinus cavity) and did the doctor perform an endoscopic exam (using a flexible or rigid endoscope to look in your nasal cavity and try to see the polyp)?

If the procedure is only going to take 30 minutes twilight sleep might be an option to discuss with the doctor.

Depending on where the polyp is it may not be possible for the doctor to use twilight sleep for a polyp removal.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:50 AM   #4
    Flutterbye77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

He tried to use an endoscope but could not get it through my nasal cavity. Then I had an MRI and the whole right side is black, he said it was a mass. He put me on antibiotics, a nasal spray and saline. He said I had a massive infection. He said it would be a 30m minute procedure and would use light general, whatever that means.

As of today I have not heard if they are going to do surgery or not for sure, I meet with him on thursday. My neuro said my MRI was good and he did the lantern test on me and he feels it probably needs to be drained.

Closed Thread