It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Weirdest Nose Question ever, I promise.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
    MollyW2013
    (female)

MollyW2013 HB User
    Weirdest Nose Question ever, I promise.

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since i posted, my sinuses have been doing so well, I keep forgetting to visit this site.

Anyway, have a weird question. Hopefully you all don't think I'm crazy.....
    BUT, sometimes, when lying down, my nose makes noises. Is that weird or what? And I don't mean that it's twitching or doing something I can feel. It's like it makes crackly or shifting noises. Like creaking stairs.... OMG I can't figure out how to describe it. But it makes like ticking sounds off and on, depending on how I'm lying. Doesn't go on forever, just for a bit.

My hubby says it's my sinuses shrinking and air escaping due to the fact that I have HORRIBLE allergies, and have my whole life. I allergic to trees, grass, pollen, you name it! And, it's that time of year, where I give Zyrtec all of my money.

Background, I've had sinus surgery twice. Once, 20 years ago, and the second time a year ago May. Both times I had a deviated septum fixed and some polyps removed. I am a huge hypochondriac as well, so when I hear these sounds, I automatically think the worst, like my septum is collapsing!

I probably just need valium.

Anyone?

Many thanks,
    Molly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
    Re: Weirdest Nose Question ever, I promise.

I also suffer seasonal allergy's and have a deviated septum.
    The noises you describe are NOT at all unusual in people who have nasal problems.
    I have suffered whistling noises and bone=cracking noises in my passages at times so I wouldn't worry if I was you.
    When I use "Breathe Right " nasal strips I find these noises are not so obvious,

Solofelix.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
    Bea590
    (female)

Bea590 HB User

YES! Mine has done that...especially when I irrigate, for the next few minutes, I hear a lot of crackles as the last of the water---I picture it trapped in there---drains out. I use a Grossan Nasal Irrigator and it gets the water up into the higher sinuses. The Neti pot just does a tiny bit compared. I do remember after my surgery, hearing a lot of crackles as it healed. I agree, I think it's the air pockets (for lack of better word) opening up.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
    MollyW2013
    (female)

MollyW2013 HB User

Interesting! Thanks for the replies! I do have a lot of seasonal swelling, as I am allergic to a large amount of trees, plants, grasses and weeds in California. So, I'm thinking maybe it's just due to some swelling since allergy season hit. It is a little disconcerting to hear, though, and not feel anything. Like, uh is something moving in there or breaking?? LOL

Old 04-24-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
    Hiz Sinus
    (male)

Hiz Sinus HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MollyW2013 View Post
    Hi everyone,

It's been a while since i posted, my sinuses have been doing so well, I keep forgetting to visit this site.

Anyway, have a weird question. Hopefully you all don't think I'm crazy.....
    BUT, sometimes, when lying down, my nose makes noises. Is that weird or what? And I don't mean that it's twitching or doing something I can feel. It's like it makes crackly or shifting noises. Like creaking stairs.... OMG I can't figure out how to describe it. But it makes like ticking sounds off and on, depending on how I'm lying. Doesn't go on forever, just for a bit.

My hubby says it's my sinuses shrinking and air escaping due to the fact that I have HORRIBLE allergies, and have my whole life. I allergic to trees, grass, pollen, you name it! And, it's that time of year, where I give Zyrtec all of my money.

Background, I've had sinus surgery twice. Once, 20 years ago, and the second time a year ago May. Both times I had a deviated septum fixed and some polyps removed. I am a huge hypochondriac as well, so when I hear these sounds, I automatically think the worst, like my septum is collapsing!

I probably just need valium.

Anyone?

Many thanks,
    Molly
    I am from Redding area, age 63, had lifelong sinus issues, FESS in '94 and '07 in Redding,and last week at Stanford.
    You are not a hypochondriac, there are Quality of Life Surveys now and Sinusitis Sumptom Inventories that show the many disruptions in the life of a CRS pt. I have had nose/sinus noises mostly crackling when breathing in, and only intermitently. You might benefit from a routine I use. Afrin
    an hour before bedtime one spray only, each nostril and wait a full hour for it to decongest. then, Neil Med sinus irrigation. Then Breathe right nasal strip and off to bed.
    Afrin is bad to overuse, but is is a good drug to use sparingly.
    The directions say up to 3 sprays twice a day for 3 days then see MD. This is very bad instruction because it takes a full hour for one spray to decongest at which time spray #2 or 3 is never needed.
    Using only one spray at bedtime I never get rebound congestion, My nose is open and I sleep well, No post nasal drip, side lying and sniffing after the irrigation can completely empty the sinuses preventing night time cough, life is much better.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:32 AM   #6
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,

If using nasal-sprays causes problems then I would suggest
    "Sudafed" if it's available where you live.
    I take it in liquid form, it is a decongestant and it keeps my nose clear and aids breathing.
    Like most things it is a short term help but any is better than none at all and I have had NO side effects from this,

Solofelix.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
    MollyW2013
    (female)

MollyW2013 HB User

Thanks for your responses. I'm actually seeing my ENT on Tues for a follow up. I'm thinking of doing nasal steroid sprays again for a bit.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:00 AM   #8
    rainbowsrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User

I had noises in my nose when I had a spell of sinusitis complicated by acid reflux...after a night when I believe the acid went into sinuses

Old 05-01-2014, 06:38 AM   #9
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Molly, you have lots of company from allergy/sinus sufferers whose noses make noises, so don't worry. I think the Sudafed suggestion is good, but only the regular or 12 hr taken first thing in AM, as it may cause insomnia. The nasal steroids and nasal antihistamine sprays (both Rx) are helpful, and Singulair helps a lot of people too with seasonal allergies. It works differently by stabilizing mast cells, and is oral, taken once daily-Rx also. You could ask your allergist or ENT for any of those. Sudafed is OTC but quantities limited, ID required in US, must ask at pharmacy for it.

Closed Thread