It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Anyone having or just had septoplasty?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2014, 07:38 AM   #1
    desertlady42
    (female)

desertlady42 HB User
    Anyone having or just had septoplasty?

Hello, I am scheduled to have septoplasty and turbinate reduction a month from today. I have to admit I am a little nervous about this surgery, not so much the surgery but the post op. I have a very very dry mouth and already wake up in a panic when I can't breath through my nose and feel like my throat is closing up. The thought of packing in my nose absolutely frightens me even though I have diminished breathing through my nose already. I have ordered some post op supplies...neck pillow, saline spray, moisturizing gels and sprays for my mouth. Anyone have any other suggestions for a comfortable post op experience? or as comfortable as it can be
    Would love to talk to anyone that is has surgery coming up or has already had it.

Last edited by desertlady42; 04-20-2014 at 07:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
    Re: Anyone having or just had septoplasty?

Firstly "How bad is your nasal trouble to require surgery".
    I was told I have a deviated septum many years ago and have learned to live with it.
    Either one side or the other side of my nose is blocked or both sides most days.
    I don't have much trouble in the day but at night I do and finish up with a mouth like the dessert in the mornings.
    What things have you tried to give you some relief. One of the best things I discovered for night time was "Breathe Right Nasal Strips"...
    I would also panic at the thought of wadding stuck up my nose. I wish you well for your forth coming surgery,

Solofelix.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #3
    desertlady42
    (female)

desertlady42 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
    Firstly "How bad is your nasal trouble to require surgery".
    I was told I have a deviated septum many years ago and have learned to live with it.
    Either one side or the other side of my nose is blocked or both sides most days.
    I don't have much trouble in the day but at night I do and finish up with a mouth like the dessert in the mornings.
    What things have you tried to give you some relief. One of the best things I discovered for night time was "Breathe Right Nasal Strips"...
    I would also panic at the thought of wadding stuck up my nose. I wish you well for your forth coming surgery,

Solofelix.

Hi Solofelix, I have tried prescription nasal spray, nasal rinses, breathe right strips, humidifier but most everything only helps briefly. The surgeon said both my nasal passages are blocked and something about a part of my nose that is collapsed. I find my self gasping for air throughout the day and night time is definitely the worst. I would have to say the very thick postnasal drip is the worst part of all of it. I have sore throats almost every day of my life and it's just a miserable feeling having a ball of dried mucus stuck in the back of your throat. The doctor said the surgery should help with this and the breathing. My dryness problems are a whole other issue and will likely continue, but hopefully I will get some relief in the breathing department!

I know what you mean about the desert mouth in the morning. Have you tried oramoist tabs for the mouth? They taste kind of awful but they do help a little with moisture, I also use biotene mouth gel.
    Thank you for the well wishes :-)

Old 04-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
    Lizzymae
    (female)

Lizzymae HB User

I had septoplasty with turminate reduction on 3/28/14. Post op on 4/7/14.
    I am in my middle 70's. Evidently a life time of living with a deviated Septrum can cause changes and eventually caused my breathing problems. My first week befor post op was horrible, but I breathe thru my mouth, took pain pills and survived. After post op I was so releaved to breath, I didn't mind all the
    sinus drainage. I'm 8 days out now and my sinuses are still draining.....of course everyone else with any allergy problems are having troubles now with
    the pollen count so high. My Doctor told me not to use sprays, he gave me
    a prescription for zyrtec (generic) after I called him. I'm still looking and waiting for some relief. I wake up in the mornings with my mouth all dry. I can sleep pretty good, but the medicine supposed to be for 24 hours and dosen't help me but about 12 hours. I would appreciate any help on this since my Dr. is not that good on followups.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:27 AM   #5
    desertlady42
    (female)

desertlady42 HB User

Thanks Lizzymae, I'm sorry the first week of post op was horrible for you. I have a feeling it will be worse than the surgeon makes it out to be but hopefully I have all that I can to make myself comfortable. I guess it is not the greatest time of the year to have this kind of surgery. I hope you are starting to feel better!

Closed Thread