It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• A few questions about my upcoming sinus surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
    jonance
    (male)

jonance HB User
    A few questions about my upcoming sinus surgery

Hi,

I am a 38 year old male who has been battling chronic sinus infections for several years. I've always had 3-4 per year for the last decade, which is a lot, but the last few years it seems that i have fewer and fewer "well" periods in between sinus infections, and even then i feel tired and groggy often. In other words...i think my "best" has been other people's "run down" for quite awhile. All of this despite having been on Flonase, Zyrtec, etc the entire time.

I ended up going to an allergist to get tested, which despite living in Louisville, KY, the newly minted #1 worst place in the US for allergies, turned up nothing really major besides seasonal pollen allergy. The allergist ended up doing a CT scan in the office which showed, not surprisingly, my sinuses were filled with gunk. They put me on the strongest antibiotic, steroid combo they could for 2 weeks (i think) to see if it changed my CT scan at all. Upon re-scanning...there was very little, if any, change in my sinuses.

They then sent me to an ENT, which happens to be the same one who did my son's ear tubes. He is very professional. I first met with him in 2012 and he examined my CT scans. He told me i'm one of the curious cases, because I don't have any "major" things that jump out to him as causing my sinuses to be unable to drain. My septum is "slightly" deviated, but don't have tons of polyps, etc blocking the flow.

Well after another 2 years of being sick i was fed up and recently visited him again. He ordered another CT scan just to see if there were changes. I waited until i felt "well" (for me anyhow), I could breathe easily through my nose when i was scanned. Well the CT showed the same thing, a ton of irregular gunk in my sinuses.

So i've decided I am going to have the surgery. He is going to increase the sinus openings as well as fix the partial septum deviation. I asked him a ton of questions before leaving...but there was one obvious question I forgot to ask.

"How is it that even if i am able to breathe freely (at least what I consider freely)...that my sinuses can still show they are full of infected gunk?"

Can someone please answer this? If i can breathe, doesn't that mean that there should be enough of an opening for mucous to drain? I mean, i've basically been told that it now seems likely my sinuses haven't fully cleared for a long time....but without some obvious major obstruction, why would this be the case?

So...right now, after yet another infection I am on antibiotics...but i can breath pretty well....but i can feel sinus pressure as well and know they aren't clearing. My doctor by no means forced me or even pushed me to surgery...and also didn't guarantee some "miracle cure"...but i've tried everything else. I just wish that there were clear issues that were being "fixed"....or does my body just need some "help" with wider sinus openings and a fix of the septum?

Any info would help....especially if anyone is similar to my case.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
    BriteBabyBlue
    (female)

BriteBabyBlue HB User
    Re: A few questions about my upcoming sinus surgery

Did you already have your surgery? If so, how are you feeling? I had sinus surgery on April 9th 2014. I am going to attempt to post a link to my thread and a kind lady that went back and forth with me regarding my procedure. It might help you??? Good Luck.
    http://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/977215-balloon-sinuplasty-can-anyone-share-experience.html
    If the link does not work you might be able to search for it via my screen name or some other way.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
    Bea590
    (female)

Bea590 HB User
    Re: A few questions about my upcoming sinus surgery

I could be writing your story! That's the question I asked, too, and never did get a good answer aside from the sinuses don't all fill up at the same time.

The gunk in there is thick and filled with infection and there is no blood supply to it so antibiotics are not going to kill the infection. I was amazed after the surgery that I had thin "post nasal drip" and not thick rubber-band-like drainage. I had my surgery 18 months ago and have only been sick twice, both times when I flew with a cold I'd caught from my grandkids. Both times they cleared quickly with a single course of antibiotics.

It will take you a few weeks after the surgery to really feel better...remember you've had infection in your system for a long time, been run down for a long time and it will take a while for your sinuses to heal completely and your body to recover. Don't overdo it too soon! Let your body rest and heal and in a few weeks you'll be saying, "I didn't realize HOW sick I was...I feel so much better!"

Oh, here's a tip...you have to sit up for 24 hours after the surgery (unless, of course, your surgeon says different) and it was helpful for me to have a place prepared. I moved the recliner right in front of the tv with a pillow and blanket, had a stack of DVDs...sitcoms for me since I knew I would be drifting in and out of sleep and not concentrating...a box of tissues, wastebasket, hand sanitizer. My daughter stayed with me and brought food and drinks as I felt like having them. You might be dizzy from the pain med (although I honestly had NO pain, I took them the first day, expecting pain) and need help to walk to the bathroom. Wear something comfortable to the hospital that you can sleep in at home and won't matter if you do get a bloodstain on it. I had no bleeding but each person is different.

Don't hesitate to write here with questions and updates.

Bea

Closed Thread