It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• What is NeilMed doing to me?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-15-2014, 11:32 AM   #1
    tvix
    (female)

tvix HB User
    What is NeilMed doing to me?

I have had allergic rhinitis for years. I am allergic to 14 things (seasonal and perennial allergies) and have have non stop post nasal drip for 10 years. Last year, the drip got so bad it inflamed my bronchial passages and I started having problems breathing. I knew I had to do something about it. I saw my ENT and started getting allergy shots...which helped a little...but not enough. I explained to my ENT that I was still having problems and he told me the allergy shots will only help to a certain extent because of my perennial allergies and if I wanted to see a huge difference, I needed to get a NeilMed Sinus Rinse. The idea of shooting water up my sinuses scared me but I would have done anything to get rid of that cough and chest tension, so I followed doctor's orders. Guess what? NeilMed was amazing and for 6 months I felt better than I had in years. It didn't completely get rid if my PND but it cut it down to the extent where I had no breathing problems and I only occasionally coughed. The honeymoon lasted 6 glorious months but now, sadly, it is over. About a monthly ago, I did my nightly NeilMed rinse as usual and afterward I felt a strange sensation - tightness gripped my forehead and little shooting pains hit my sinuses. Over the next week, it got worse to the point where the area behind my eyebrows hurt to the touch. I called my ENT, but he was in surgery, so I talked to another doc who said the NeilMed had probably shook up a sinus infection I had starting. I needed to wait it out and call them back if it gets worse. This seemed weird to me since I had no issues before using the NeilMed rinse that night and I'd only had 1 sinus infection my whole life. Still, I stuck it out and a few weeks later, I started to feel better. I continued using NeilMed during this time because the doc recommended it. I thought this issue was a done deal until Saturday night. I used my NeilMed rinse before going out and that familiar tension crept back into my forehead. I wanted to believe this wasn't the NeilMed's doing. It has been SO good for my PND. I have TMJ too and started to wonder if this was the cause if my recent forehead tension. Even though my TMJ has been under control for years. Last night was the moment of truth - I used NeilMed one more time and sadly, I felt worse afterward. In the middle of the night I woke up with the frontal sinus on the side I was sleeping on throbbing. This is not TMJ. Now my head pressure is almost as bad as it was in the beginning. My ENT told me he doesn't think I ever had a sinus infection because inflammation and a little pain over my eyelids were my only symptoms. He wants me to continue using the NeilMed but I'm afraid it will keep getting worse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: What is NeilMed doing to me?

Hi...wow, wounds as though something else is going on.

I have just a few questions, however.....
    Are you using distilled or filtered water?
    Are you using the larger or smaller NeilMed bottle?
    Are you using the NeilMed packet?

What other meds/otc meds are you using such as antihistamines, decongestants, etc?

Last question...are you blowing out any mucus at all?

q

Old 05-19-2014, 05:22 AM   #3
    tvix
    (female)

tvix HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    Hi...wow, wounds as though something else is going on.

I have just a few questions, however.....
    Are you using distilled or filtered water?
    Are you using the larger or smaller NeilMed bottle?
    Are you using the NeilMed packet?

What other meds/otc meds are you using such as antihistamines, decongestants, etc?

Last question...are you blowing out any mucus at all?

q
    Thanks for the response, Quincy! I really appreciate the help. I use only distilled water. I am paranoid about amoebas. I should add, I was on bactrim for 10 days because if a skin infection I probably didn't have (it's been a bad month) so if it were a bacterial infection, I'd imagine that would have wiped it out. I am on Dymista nasal for my rhinitis, which is an antihistamine and a corticosteroid. When this first happened, I was using store brand neti pot packets but after, I started using the Neil Med packets. I am using the 8 oz NeilMed bottle. Not sure if that's the large or snall one. I didn't realize there were different sizes.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:32 AM   #4
    tvix
    (female)

tvix HB User

Oh I forgot to answer one of your questions - I've been blowing my nose the same as normal, so yes something has come out. As I mentioned, it started to get better than worsened again after I used the NeilMed last Tues. That night, I slept on my right side and woke up on the middle of the night with my right frontal sinus pounding. When I went back to bed, I put a pillow under my head and slept on the other side. A few hours later when I woke up, it was much better. Then the next day in work, I had a sneeze attack and running mucus came out of my nose. This is not totally abnormal as I have allergies but I felt a little better after. That's why I'm sober ding if this is happening because of water getting stuck up there. Added info: I don't have a deviated septum.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:30 PM   #5
    testa
    (female)

testa HB User

I'm not sure this is any help, but I've had a similar experience once with the NeilMed bottles. I think I squeezed too hard, honestly, and the nasal rinse ended up pushing too hard against my sinuses. I laid off the NeilMed for a few days and let it heal -- it felt almost like a bruise, and made my muscles tense up on that side of my head, especially the top of my head, which was very odd.

Similarly, when I use Simply Saline, a more directed spray, I can easily hit spots which tingle and sting and make the sinus cavity feel really strange for a while.

I have no idea what causes this or anything. But you may want to try sleeping sitting up to promote drainage, which helps me at times.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:19 AM   #6
    tvix
    (female)

tvix HB User

Thanks Testa! It DOES help. Although everyone's experiences are different, from my research online, I've learned the sinuses are really sensitive. I'm laying off the NeilMed for now, using steam inhalation therapy and hoping with time it will get better as it had started to do before. I will try to sleep sitting up. I've been folding my pillow in half, which has helped somewhat. Such a bummer. I'd been doing so well with the NeilMed. I feel like it betrayed me 😣

Old 05-20-2014, 10:32 AM   #7
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You might also try Breathe Right nasal strips at bed time. I rely on them!

Old 05-20-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

tvix...hard to say whether the NeilMed is a cause or just that something else is going on. But it sure seems a good idea to maybe give it a break for a few days.

I also think you should consider to add a decongestant such as Sudafed (the 60mg generic pseudoephedrine is what I use, not the PE kind).

When I used to use a steroid nasal inhaler (can't remember the kind), but they changed the formula to be a "wet" one...I ended up with a sinus infection, which I thought was from that, and quit them all together.

What I think you should request from your doctor, however, is a sinus x-ray to make sure that you don't have a blocked area that's not able to drain.

Antihistamines can make it worse sometimes by drying out the areas without allowing drainage if you have an infection. Kind of a fine line of what to use when, sort of thing.

You might also need antibiotics if it continues and it IS an infection.

I like the idea Titchou of the nasal strips...worth a try.

The other thing....maybe don't use it at night and use it in the morning instead.

How are you doing today? Hopefully, steaming will help too....but do consider the decongestant tablet.
    q

Last edited by quincy; 05-20-2014 at 07:10 PM.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:26 AM   #9
    tvix
    (female)

tvix HB User

Thanks to everyone for the tips! I will buy some Breathe Right strips on my lunch break.

Quincy, thank you for the informed post. The pressure is better than it was Monday but definitely still there. I'm going out of town for a few days. When I get back Wednesday, if there isn't a significant improvement, I'll call the doc and make an appointment. The timing is kind if awful because I'm getting married in 3 weeks then going on my honeymoon for two weeks. I'd rather not gave this hanging over my head (literally and metaphorically!) then but what can you do? Thanks for the advice about antihistamines and decongestants. I just bought some Tylanol Sinus. Hopefully it will do something.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:39 AM   #10
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi...the Tylenol Sinus has pseudoephedrine in it and will help. I think it can be taken up to 4x daily.

If you are flying...you do want this mostly dealt with before, and bring the decongestant with you (take before you leave on the plane, and chew gum while on the plane).

Definitely ask the doc for an x-ray of your sinuses...especially since this is something that isn't being resolved.

Hope you feel better soon...congratulations on your soon-to-be wedding.

Another thing...make sure you're taking in enough water :-)

Keep us posted how you're doing.
    q

Old 05-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #11
    tvix
    (female)

tvix HB User

Thanks Quincy. I'm not sure what's going on at this point. The pain over my eyebrows is mostly gone except for one spot. Unfortunately this spot now hurts worse and the pain radiates to my eye below and forehead above. I think I may have pressed on the area too hard. This started Saturday and the pressure in my head is worse. I am pretty sure the pressure is mostly from muscle tension, as heat relieves it a bit. I saw another ENT today who looked in my sinuses and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I remembered what you said and asked for a CT scan. I am going Monday. Just what I wanted to do the week before my wedding!

Old 05-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #12
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Seems a conundrum, but at the very least you'll have a CT scan pretty much immediately. I'm impressed!

Definitely let us know the outcome.

Are you still blowing out anything of colour from that side?

Has the Tylenol Sinus helped?

As well, maybe a very warm cloth over that area could help? There's also a massage/acupressure that might help. If you do a search in videos, you could find it...I can't post links.

Hope this gets resolved.

Just as an aside, I've also had a continuing sinus "thingy"..lol..could be allergies, but it does come in waves of feeling full and when I blow it's obviously yellow. I have to take Sudafed for sure twice a day..but I have been a bit lax on the NeilMed. I'll bet back to it today and see how it does.

One thing interesting...it's either one side or the other. weird.

Hope all is going well with your wedding plans.

q

Old 05-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #13
    tvix
    (female)

tvix HB User

Hi Quincy. Thank you for keeping in touch and checking on me! I went to see my ENT today. CT scan. I am curious to see if it reveals anything but I am a little afraid if what it may show. I don't need bad health news before my wedding :-(. The Tylanol Sinus seems to help...but part of me wonders if it's in my head. When I blow my nose, it's clear as always. No change. Some if the head pressure I was feeling this morning seems to have calmed down, so one piece of good news at least. I've been so worried about this I think I may be giving myself tension headaches on top of it.

Oh wow. Your sinus thing does sound like allergies. I hope it clears up soon!

Last edited by tvix; 05-28-2014 at 03:08 PM.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:29 AM   #14
    rainbowsrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User

I get sinus problems when my acid reflux gets into my sinuses...and bought a NeilMed as yet unused

Can I just ask...sometimes when I cough I get a sharp pain around the top of my head, is that common in sinus problems?

Old 05-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #15
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tvix....good to hear the Tylenol Sinus is helping.

What do you mean by "in your head"? as in you're imagining it?
    nah.

rainbowsrock....I get head pressure daily as well. It could be a combo of things regarding the general fluid in our sinuses and sensitivity to the changes happening. Our sinuses/Eustachian tubes might be overly reactive with mild inflammation/irritation....which could cause continual ups and downs, especially if we have allergies or possibly food sensitivities/histamine sensitivities.

Regarding the pain/pressure when coughing, I get that as well, worse when I have a headache. It's definitely related to my neck and neck/head muscles. But, not to say that hormones or blood pressure wouldn't have a huge hand in it as well if that's an issue....as would air pressure and fluctuating weather.

In the mornings, I sometimes feel like my head's going to explode if I cough.

I do see a chiropractor, although not as often as I could. I get great relief.

Hard to pinpoint exactly when so much could be going on at the same time and when many things can contribute to one issue, depending on what's worse at the time.

I had an ENT say to me "you're not clinically allergic or obviously with issues that we can pinpoint. Actually, we see a lot of people like you...we just don't know what to do to help you". As weird as it seems, it was a relief because I didn't fit into a specific criteria.

I juggle the best I can with what's been working. I also have BPPV, which can be triggered by sinus infection or cold or just whatever. While I haven't had a lot of attacks over the past few years, I do have the feeling of being "off" quite often if I oversleep, consume high salt, weather severely fluctuating regarding pressure...etc.
    The pseudoephedrine daily has been a help as has the NeilMed.

With you, deal with the sinus issues and reflux with acid reducer and the NeilMed. Get your blood pressure checked. Try appropriate stretching exercises for the muscles in your shoulders and neck as well as massage (yourself or someone else/professional). Even sleeping on a special pillow can help.

q

Last edited by quincy; 05-29-2014 at 11:18 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to quincy For This Useful Post:
    rainbowsrock (05-29-2014)
    Closed Thread