It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Help me decide if I should have surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #1
    GatoLoco
    (male)

GatoLoco HB User
    Help me decide if I should have surgery

Quick background: For the past two years I've had a very annoying tightness in the right side of my throat accompanied by ear fullness on the right side as well. Both are there constantly but seem to get worse after eating.

I've been through all sorts of tests, MRI, CT, EGD, etc. etc. and nothing is ever found. I've had allergy skin testing multiple times and nothing ever shows up as a strong allergy. IgE blood testing for foods did show slightly elevated levels for wheat, rye, barley, etc. so I stopped eating any wheat products for several months and didn't notice any improvement.

This seems to just be getting worse and worse as time goes on. It feels like my throat is always tight and that I can't breathe. Almost like somebody is just following me all the time and pushing their fingers into a spot right below my jaw on the right side.

I've gone to multiple ENT doctors. They always do the scope through my nose to look at things. It has been noted that my right nostril/sinuses are almost totally blocked by a large nasal polyp. One of the ENT doctors has suggested remove that polyp and also performing some type of enlargement of the sinus passengers during the same procedure to help the drainage.

It's also been suggested to me that I could have my tonsils removed, even though they don't appear very enlarged.

I also have a deviated septum where my left nostril doesn't get much air because the deviation is over to that side.

So my question is, do these symptoms seem to warrant this type of surgery? The one ENT doctor has said he can do the nasal polyp, sinus surgery, and remove the tonsils all at once, although I don't know if that is a good idea or not. It seems like at this point any type of surgery would just be a "let's see if this fixes it" thing, but the problem is so bad that I barely do anything now because I constantly feel like I'm being choked. I'm wondering if the polyp could be causing some type of drainage backup that goes into my throat and irritates other things, and also if my tonsils could somehow be infected or having an issue even though they don't appear really bad through my mouth.

Has anybody had surgery for polyps or tonsil removal due to these types of symptoms? It is very strange to me since it is only ever on the right side so it seems like it is tied to something on that side.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
    Re: Help me decide if I should have surgery

You should absolutely get the polyp removed - polyps are essentially a non-cancerous growth that blocks drainage from your sinuses and it's not going to go away without surgery. Beyond that, though, I don't know that having your tonsils removed or opening up the sinuses makes much sense without specific medical reasons for those procedures.

Have you seen a gastroenterologist to see if acid reflux - particularly a form of reflux called LPR (laryngopharyngeal reflux) could be causing your other symptoms. The fact that they worsen after eating could be a clue that your issues are reflux related.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #3
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

I've had surgery for polyps but the sad fact is, polyps usually grow back. The last time I went to my ear nose and throat doctor she said that rather than surgery she would like to inject my polyp with a steroid, in the hopes that the steroid shrinks the polyp and then my drainage will be much improved. I like this idea since it is not a surgery, and it is localized and does not affect the entire body like oral medication would. I am going to get the steroid sometime this summer.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Are you taking Singulair and using a steroid nasal spray to help prevent the recurrence of the polyps? While it's true that polyps often grow back, Singulair helps dramatically reduce the likelihood and severity of recurrence in many people.

Closed Thread