It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

  • NARS & Chronic Sinus Infections

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 07-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date: May 2009
    Posts: 34
    Meeper HB User
    NARS & Chronic Sinus Infections

    I went to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN last year and was diagnosed with non-allergic rhinitis. I keep getting sinus infections since moving to Washington state. Mayo prescribed Ipratropium/Bromide spray along with Gentamicin nasal wash when I get an infection. I also tried Budesonide steroid rinses for 60 days - didn't do anything. The nasal spray and Gentamicin worked for awhile but now I find that neither work.

    I am looking at going back to Mayo Clinic soon to help the problem. My question is - has anyone else had a similar experience? Is Mayo Clinic the way to go or would John Hopkins or another facility be a better place? I'm kind of guessing surgery is in the future but not sure...

    Sponsors Lightbulb
    Old 07-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
    Senior Veteran
    Join Date: Nov 2007
    Location: Cleveland
    Posts: 1,236
    gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
    Re: NARS & Chronic Sinus Infections

    Both the Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins are excellent at treating sinus disease - there's really no appreciable difference between the two in terms of their reputation or level of expertise.

    If you are going to need surgery you may be better off asking them to recommend someone near where you live. Generally you won't be able to fly for at least 2 weeks after the surgery and will need 3-4 follow up visits during the month after surgery to remove crusts that can lead to scar tissue, along with additional follow up visits every 3-6 months for the first year, so you will have to plan on an extended stay if you have the surgery far from where you live.

    Most large university medical centers have rhinologists who specialize in treating chronic sinus disease/sinus surgery (you definitely want to stay away from an ENT with an office-based practice or a generalist ENT who doesn't specialize in sinus disease) so even if you have the surgery at the Mayo Clinic you probably need to find an ENT who is experienced in treating sinus disease near where you live.

    Closed Thread

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:58 PM.

    2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!