It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• NARS & Chronic Sinus Infections

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
    Meeper
    (female)

Meeper HB User
    NARS & Chronic Sinus Infections

I went to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN last year and was diagnosed with non-allergic rhinitis. I keep getting sinus infections since moving to Washington state. Mayo prescribed Ipratropium/Bromide spray along with Gentamicin nasal wash when I get an infection. I also tried Budesonide steroid rinses for 60 days - didn't do anything. The nasal spray and Gentamicin worked for awhile but now I find that neither work.

I am looking at going back to Mayo Clinic soon to help the problem. My question is - has anyone else had a similar experience? Is Mayo Clinic the way to go or would John Hopkins or another facility be a better place? I'm kind of guessing surgery is in the future but not sure...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
    Re: NARS & Chronic Sinus Infections

Both the Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins are excellent at treating sinus disease - there's really no appreciable difference between the two in terms of their reputation or level of expertise.

If you are going to need surgery you may be better off asking them to recommend someone near where you live. Generally you won't be able to fly for at least 2 weeks after the surgery and will need 3-4 follow up visits during the month after surgery to remove crusts that can lead to scar tissue, along with additional follow up visits every 3-6 months for the first year, so you will have to plan on an extended stay if you have the surgery far from where you live.

Most large university medical centers have rhinologists who specialize in treating chronic sinus disease/sinus surgery (you definitely want to stay away from an ENT with an office-based practice or a generalist ENT who doesn't specialize in sinus disease) so even if you have the surgery at the Mayo Clinic you probably need to find an ENT who is experienced in treating sinus disease near where you live.

Closed Thread