It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Anyone moved states?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
    Meeper
    (female)

Meeper HB User
    Anyone moved states?

I used to live in MN and had very few sinus problems. I moved to WA and have chronic sinus infections along with pain and sore throats. My face is constantly puffed up. I was diagnosed with non allergic rhinitis, so only nasal sprays and steroid rinses given to me by Mayo Clinic are my options. All of them don't seem to help. I don't want to have surgery and am really against this, given that I was fine in MN.

My husband thinks it's ridiculous to move state because of sinus problems but I can't live like this anymore! I am in agony every single day. Has anyone else found that they just can't live in certain states/climates due to their sinus problems?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: Anyone moved states?

I don't have a lot of advice on moving states, other than the fact that I never had any sinus problems until I moved to a new state in my mid-20's. I think a combination of new allergens, altitude, and drier air contributed as well. It took me over a decade to find a solution to my chronic sinus problems.

While I had serious allergies that contributed to my sinus problems, treating the allergies didn't resolve my chronic sinus infections. What did halt my chronic sinus problems was treatment for 'silent' reflux. Seriously... how can acid you don't even feel impact all the way to the sinuses? I had surgery for acid reflux in 2008 and have only had one sinus infection since. Prior to that, I had infections about 8 months out of the year. Turns out that my 'silent' gaseous acid was making it all the way up into my sinuses which created a state of constant inflammation. I refer to it as 'silent' reflux because I didn't have any symptoms such as heartburn. It might be something worth looking into if everything else has failed.

If you do decide to move, I would travel to visit the places you are considering for a while before you move. It is difficult to know how you may do until you experience the new area.

Good luck.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
    Meeper
    (female)

Meeper HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
    I don't have a lot of advice on moving states, other than the fact that I never had any sinus problems until I moved to a new state in my mid-20's. I think a combination of new allergens, altitude, and drier air contributed as well. It took me over a decade to find a solution to my chronic sinus problems.

While I had serious allergies that contributed to my sinus problems, treating the allergies didn't resolve my chronic sinus infections. What did halt my chronic sinus problems was treatment for 'silent' reflux. Seriously... how can acid you don't even feel impact all the way to the sinuses? I had surgery for acid reflux in 2008 and have only had one sinus infection since. Prior to that, I had infections about 8 months out of the year. Turns out that my 'silent' gaseous acid was making it all the way up into my sinuses which created a state of constant inflammation. I refer to it as 'silent' reflux because I didn't have any symptoms such as heartburn. It might be something worth looking into if everything else has failed.

If you do decide to move, I would travel to visit the places you are considering for a while before you move. It is difficult to know how you may do until you experience the new area.

Good luck.
    You're one of the first I have found with a similar story to mine! The silent reflux problem makes a lot of sense. What doctor diagnosed your acid reflux? I don't have any symptoms that indicates that either. But I DO have a lot of GI problems - a slow stomach for one. So I wonder if that could be part of the problem. I did have an endoscopy and that showed the fluids/acid in my stomach looked fine. But it does seem like my sinus issues and GI problems seem to always occur at the same time.

Thanks for letting me know about this - gives me some different avenues to look into!

The following user gives a hug of support to Meeper:
    MountainReader (10-08-2014)
    Old 10-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #4
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

My situation was a bit more complicated and diagnosis was over time because I ended up with multiple health issues that all have the same symptoms. I ended up with a primary care doc, Gastroenterologist, ENT/Allergist, and Pulmonologist all supporting my treatment for the acid reflux. If you find a forward thinking one, I think a good ENT/Allergist would be my first choice. Next, a good forward thinking Gastroenterologist. In my case, it was determined early on that I had some reflux, but I didn't realize the severity of it until I saw my Pulmonologist since my 'silent' reflux was actually irritating my lungs and became life-threatening at one point. He was the one who first recommended that I have reflux surgery. It was after that when my sinus problems went away that I realized how much the acid was contributing to my sinus issues.

If you are researching, you want to search for Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (Silent Reflux) or (LPR). There are lots of symptoms, but the information out there is pretty limited. If you have any PND issues with the sinus stuff, that can be a symptom. I attributed mine to the sinus and allergy stuff, and never to the reflux. I had throat and breathing issues too. When the acid makes it up above the upper esophageal sphincter, it is usually in a gaseous form. There is a fairly new pH test just for this by a company called ResTech. This is one my ENT did for me several years ago. It is different from the traditional pH tests that measure the liquid acid so if you ask for one, you will want to be sure they specifically use this kind. It would be what I ask for if I started having those issues again. I'm not sure if any other companies are using this technology yet.

There is some good information out there by a Dr. called Jamie Koufman. She promotes herself as an aerodigestive doctor. You may find the information helpful.

I developed IBS around the time my reflux was at it's worst, in 2008. I still have issues with it. I've had some issues lately with the IBS as a side effect of some supplements another doc put me on. I went to see my GI doc a couple weeks ago and he told me that the GI issues can cause acid to 'back up' when they are flaring. If you are dealing with GI issues, it could impact that.

I'm not sure if I answered your questions, but it certainly is worth exploring.

I wish you well. I know how incredibly miserable and wearing the chronic sinus issues are.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:07 AM   #5
    SpoodleDoodle
    (female)

SpoodleDoodle HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Meeper View Post
    I used to live in MN and had very few sinus problems. I moved to WA and have chronic sinus infections along with pain and sore throats. My face is constantly puffed up. I was diagnosed with non allergic rhinitis, so only nasal sprays and steroid rinses given to me by Mayo Clinic are my options. All of them don't seem to help. I don't want to have surgery and am really against this, given that I was fine in MN.

My husband thinks it's ridiculous to move state because of sinus problems but I can't live like this anymore! I am in agony every single day. Has anyone else found that they just can't live in certain states/climates due to their sinus problems?
    Hi there,

I can totally understand your predicament.

I'm in the UK and moved from a remote part of Scotland to a busier part of England 5 months ago. The difference is quite dramatic. My sinus infection has returned with a vengance. I think there are a few factors.

The air quality is not so good.
    There has been a lot more pollen in the atmosphere.
    The stress of the move accentuates the problem.

This is so much so that I am considering moving back - just the hassle of it all is putting me off. And of course, stress makes my sinusitis worse.

Take care

Old 10-10-2014, 04:35 AM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Are you doing a saline rinse morning and night? It's critical to keep your sinsuses flushed out and clear of infection. Also, have you had allergy testing?

Old 10-10-2014, 07:55 AM   #7
    Meeper
    (female)

Meeper HB User

Yeah, I've done up to 4 sinus rinses a day before. This seemed to make matters worse. I asked Mayo Clinic why and they said "Some find it's like rubbing salt in a wound." It def feels that way. I've had all allergy testing, both blood and skin - nothing showed.

Last edited by Meeper; 10-10-2014 at 07:56 AM.

Closed Thread