It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus Infection Medication Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-12-2014, 11:10 PM   #1
    Orchid.Ldy
    (female)

Orchid.Ldy HB User
    Sinus Infection Medication Question

I was just diagnosed with a pretty bad sinus infection tonight. I was given a Z-Pak (Azithromycin) and Methylprednisolone (steroid). If I had my way I'd be taking neither, but it's terrible, so I have no choice. My question is, do I HAVE to take the steriod? Surely not, and just the actual antibiotic should be ok, right? I really dislike taking steroids. My face always gets so hot, along with other side effects. I'm already nervous about the z-pak and its side effects. The abdominal cramping mainly, but it must be done. So, steriod, or can I skip it and just use the z-pak only? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Orchid.Ldy; 12-12-2014 at 11:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2014, 05:47 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Sinus Infection Medication Question

The Z pack has fewer abdominal distress side effects than some others. Just be sure and take it with food. As for the steroid, it all depends on how inflammed your sinuses are. You may need it. What's the dosage? if it's low dose, you be OK on it for just a few days. i was on a low dose once a day for 6 days last year for a skin reaction and never noticed any side effects - but I also took a benedryl at bedtime just in case I couldn't sleep.

Closed Thread