It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Sinus Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-28-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
    jade789
    (female)

jade789 HB User
    Talking Sinus Surgery

de789 6 minutes ago
    I had sinusitis since I was a young teenager. It was a massive, albeit unwelcome, part of my life. In February 2014 I had Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery (FESS) and also had my septum straightened. I was a little apprehensive about the surgery and I'm sure others considering surgery as an option are too. My surgery was on the NHS (the NHS is incredible) and I want to share my experience with those who are scared by the prospect.
    I had all the classic symptoms of bad sinusitis: a constant headache; thick mucus that wouldn't move from my nasal passages; pressure around my eyes- my eye-sight was worsening, I had to have a new prescription every three months (my eye-sight actually improved since my operation). I could hardly breathe through my nose, I found it difficult to study and I was very fed up. I was prescribed Naproxen to ease the inflammation and it hardly helped. I was taking codeine or cocodomol to help with the head pain. I was also taking antihistamines and using a nasal spray. I used Sterimar sinus irrigation too- this actually helped a little. I touched upon remedies like Apple cider vinegar and reducing my sugar intake. Nothing really helped. I was miserable and I was snotty! The surgery I had sounds grim, so if you're squeamish, stop reading because I'm about to describe what it involves.
    I went under general anaesthetic. The surgeon places a probe into the nostrils that goes into the sinuses. There is a balloon on the prob that expands and breaks the little bones that form the air pockets that are the sinuses, thus expanding the space for airflow and drainage. They know which areas to focus on based upon an MRI scan of your sinuses. A small incision was made in my septum and it was stitched up in a way that straightened it.
    After the surgery, in the hospital, I had what can only be described as tampon like waddling up each nostril. These have to be pulled out and it feels really strange but it doesn't hurt. I had a nose bleed for several hours, but it became less severe with time and rest. I didn't have black eyes at all, but my face was swollen and tender. I was told to eat ice lollies to help with swelling. I didn't have to be told twice to eat lollies. The best thing to do going into surgery is relax. The best thing to do when you get out of surgery is to rest and relax. I found myself tiring very easily after surgery, give yourself plenty of rest.
    The results of my surgery have been life changing for me. I am no longer fuzzy-headed and in constant pain. I rarely get pressure in my sinuses. I am so much happier and healthier now. If you have doubts, I say go for it!

The Following User Says Thank You to jade789 For This Useful Post:
    sweetpotato13 (12-29-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread