It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• 9 yo daughter with Chronic sinusitis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #1
    LCGamble78
    (female)

LCGamble78 HB User
    9 yo daughter with Chronic sinusitis

Hi all, I'm new to this forum. First post!

My daughter is 9 and has battled sinusitis since I can remember. At least 2 years old. She had her first endoscopic sinus surgery at age 4, and had some relief from symptoms about 2.5 years. The infections started back with a vengeance, and despite using flonase and singulair and using sinus irrigations she had no relief. She ended up getting sinus surgery again at age 8, due to diseased mucosal tissue. She's been on multiple antibiotics where nothing works anymore. We even did a gentamicin antibiotic spray for her nose. 9 days after sinus surgery last year, she became very ill. Long story short, she spent a week in intensive care fighting for her life. We discovered she had developed toxic shock syndrome from her sinus surgery. She spent weeks on vancomycin and then clindamycin. She survived that ordeal, and it took months to recover from that but her sinuses were good at least 8 months.
    Now she's a year past the surgery and the TSS but the sinus infections are back full force.
    She's been on augmentin, then the infection came back. Then she was put on Bactrim for 10 days. It started to clear up then came back. Her primary doctor put her on that. I called her ENT, which is over an hour away, and they can't see her until next Tuesday. They have already told me surgically there is nothing else that can be done. I took her and had her allergy tested in December and she wasn't allergic to ONE thing, so it's not allergies causing this. She was actually tested for cystic fibrosis and it was negative, and for immunodeficiency and it was negative as well.
    What can we do for her?? Nobody around here will touch her because of her medical history, and I'm not sure the ENT has any great ideas either. I wonder if she needs some more IV antibiotics. Just looking for any input or advice from others who have had similar situations.
    I actually had one doctor recently recommend that she try an anti-inflammatory diet, but I'm not sure I buy into that.
    Thank you all in advance for reading this far.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2015, 11:16 AM   #2
    LCGamble78
    (female)

LCGamble78 HB User
    Re: 9 yo daughter with Chronic sinusitis

she also has a history of MRSA.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #3
    Snoopy61
    Inactive
    (female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
    Re: 9 yo daughter with Chronic sinusitis

Hello LCGamble78,

I am so very sorry about your Daughter. It's so difficult to have a child that keeps getting sick, as a parent you feel so helpless.

When my son was young he had chronic ear infections and chronic sinusitis. It got to the point his pediatrician referred him to Children' Hospital as they had a sinus clinic. It was during this time that allergy testing was recommended. Allergy testing came back positive for grass pollen and milk proteins. Once we cut out all milk protein (many processed foods have milk protein) his sinusitis symptoms improved and cleared up.

For my son, his allergies were the cause for his chronic sinusitis.

If your Daughter has never had allergy testing that might be something to look into.

Take care.

Closed Thread