It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Persistent rhinitis or something else?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2015, 06:57 AM   #1
    PartyMarty
    (male)

PartyMarty HB User
    Cool Persistent rhinitis or something else?

Hello beautiful people!

I have had a problem with my sinuses or my nose in general. To cut it short, it's like having hay fever, but all the time minus the itchy eyes. 70% of the time I have a stuffy nose, it's not very comfortable to breathe, sometimes I have to breathe through my mouth. The doctors at NHS (UK) called in persistent rhinitis after about 90 second examination and told me that it's incurable but manageable. Since I'm not in the mood to battle with the GPs of NHS over the accuracy of my diagnosis, hopefully some of you will be more helpful.

I have posted in the anxiety forum as well, I have been feelign anxiious for quite a bit, I breathe very awkwardly sometimes and I think my nose could be a source of this problem, due to how long I had this problem - about 3 years now. I do take steroid nose spray and some antihistamines - they do help, but the problem is still there.

Thanks!

Last edited by mod85; 03-09-2015 at 03:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
    zee703
    (female)

zee703 HB User
    Re: Persistent rhinitis or something else?

Sorry you're not getting much help from your healthcare providers. Watch out with those nose sprays...some of them help close up your nostrils (not sure what happens...maybe there's swelling?) so you can't breathe (at least that's what's happened to me when I take something like a nonprescription nose spray). You might be helped by using a sinus rinse. You can buy it along with already mixed packets of sodium chloride & sodium bicarbonate (it's very mild and soothing...don't make your own). Get the plastic bottle that you squeeze gently so that the solution goes up into your nostrils (forget the Neti Pot...you get water all over yourself!).

Old 03-21-2015, 01:43 AM   #3
    sinuspatient
    Inactive
    (male)

sinuspatient HB User

Looks like you've been had by the ENT surgeons.
    At least you haven't had revision turbinectomy like me.

find a gp that will do a swab test
    or better yet find a good allergists
    they will do a skin test for allergies (allergic rhinitis)
    AND a swab test (chronic rhinitis)
    then YOU will know what the problem is

nearly all nasal problems fit into these two categories
    no need for destroying your turbinates
    at least not before proper, non-invasive, 100% safe tests like swab and skin tests
    let us know how you go

Last edited by mod85; 04-16-2015 at 08:50 PM.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:33 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Since you don't say what medications you are on, it's hard to offer a suggestion. If it's allergic rhinitis, then an antihistamine or allergy injections would be the way to go. You would need specific allergy testing for that - skin scratch test for environmental and blood for food. And you may have to try several antihistamines to find one that works best for you. If it's non allergic rhinitis, the antihistamines won't do anything. A saline nasal rinse could help both types of rhinitis. Also, a nasal inhaler QNAsl works well for non alelrgic rhinitis for me. I don't know if it's available in the UK or what the name might be there. Hope this helps.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:47 PM   #5
    Roxane1
    Inactive
    (female)

Roxane1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PartyMarty View Post
    Hello beautiful people!

I have had a problem with my sinuses or my nose in general. To cut it short, it's like having hay fever, but all the time minus the itchy eyes. 70% of the time I have a stuffy nose, it's not very comfortable to breathe, sometimes I have to breathe through my mouth. The doctors at NHS (UK) called in persistent rhinitis after about 90 second examination and told me that it's incurable but manageable.

Thanks!
    Persistent rhinitis? That's a good one, is it just another word for vasomotor rhinitis meaning I don't have a clue why you got this problem.

Did you test if your sinus problem is the same if you go to a different place?
    Mine got slightly better after I moved. I'm still getting sinus congestion, just not as bad.

Checked yourself out for allergies first.
    Did they do a CT? check for polyps?

Old 04-16-2015, 08:40 PM   #6
    zee703
    (female)

zee703 HB User

Definitely get tested for possible allergies. I was shocked to learn how many things I'm allergic to (dust, cats, grass, certain trees). Have been getting shots once a week since last June and I'm beginning to finally feel better (they had told me it could take 6 months to a year before I began to get relief and feel normal and they were right).

Old 04-17-2015, 12:15 AM   #7
    Roxane1
    Inactive
    (female)

Roxane1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zee703 View Post
    Definitely get tested for possible allergies. I was shocked to learn how many things I'm allergic to (dust, cats, grass, certain trees). Have been getting shots once a week since last June and I'm beginning to finally feel better (they had told me it could take 6 months to a year before I began to get relief and feel normal and they were right).
    What are the shots for? dust mites? How you handling taking shots every week? What if you going away? Any side effects?

Old 04-17-2015, 11:10 AM   #8
    zee703
    (female)

zee703 HB User

I was just told "dust". I've done very well getting my shots once a week. You can skip a week or two. Every so many months they "up" the dosage of whatever they're injecting and I have to sit in the reception area for 15 minutes to make sure my body can handle it. After a few weeks, I can leave as soon as I get the shots. I've never had a reaction. And the shots don't hurt :>)

Closed Thread