It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Never-ending postnasal drip/drainage!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2015, 01:10 PM   #1
    zee703
    (female)

zee703 HB User
    Never-ending postnasal drip/drainage!

Does anyone else have never ending drainage? I've been on antibiotics off and on for well over a year now and don't know what to do (other than starting allergy shots (generic) and Allegra (generic) but don't think they're helping to dry up any of this drainage and wonder if Claritin-D or Allegra-D would be more effective. My PC hasn't recommended it; my EN&T just recommended allergy shots. What works for all of you? Anything??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
    Manny13840
    (male)

Manny13840 HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zee703 View Post
    Does anyone else have never ending drainage? I've been on antibiotics off and on for well over a year now and don't know what to do (other than starting allergy shots (generic) and Allegra (generic) but don't think they're helping to dry up any of this drainage and wonder if Claritin-D or Allegra-D would be more effective. My PC hasn't recommended it; my EN&T just recommended allergy shots. What works for all of you? Anything??
    But is it allergies? Anti biotics does not treat or help with post nasal drip, have you gotten xrays for your sinuses? You might have nasal polyps that is causing drainage, my drip isn't as bad anymore after drinking antihistamine med and been using a intranasal steriod spray.. And my post nasal drip started in January.. Always suffer from sinusits all my life and my emt doc says due to me having all my life and my xrays of my sinuses were negative he says i suffer from allergic rhinitis and i have a very sensitive nose I can't be breathing cold weather have to cover my mouth and nose when going outside when its cold... He says I don't have post nasal drip and he said if i feel phlegm just to swallow it don't force it out cause it will irritate the throat and not to blow my nose either only in the mornings while taking a hot shower and thats it... I was also taking alavert-D which is the same as claritin d and allegra d, but if you have allergies just take the regular claritin or zyrtec.. And also see to take a allergy test too..

Old 03-10-2015, 12:41 PM   #3
    zee703
    (female)

zee703 HB User
    Re: Never-ending postnasal drip/drainage!

Thanks for your reply. I take antibiotics when there's an infection which causes awful fatigue. Because I can't seem to "dry up" this drainage, there is frequently infection. It's a vicious cycle. I've had sinus surgery twice, last time there was just some mucus plugs (Nov. 2013). Was tested last May and have lots of allergies (never showed up before) so the shots started in May. I was just wondering if the "D" form of Claritin or Allegra would be more effective than the regular which doesn't seem to do anything to help my drainage.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #4
    Manny13840
    (male)

Manny13840 HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zee703 View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I take antibiotics when there's an infection which causes awful fatigue. Because I can't seem to "dry up" this drainage, there is frequently infection. It's a vicious cycle. I've had sinus surgery twice, last time there was just some mucus plugs (Nov. 2013). Was tested last May and have lots of allergies (never showed up before) so the shots started in May. I was just wondering if the "D" form of Claritin or Allegra would be more effective than the regular which doesn't seem to do anything to help my drainage.
    Have you tried mucinex D?

Old 03-11-2015, 04:13 AM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Yes, a decongestant could help. You could add sudafed to your meds and see if it helps.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
    zee703
    (female)

zee703 HB User

Thanks. I already use plain Mucinex--never thought about trying the D version (will look into that). Sudafed? I think I'll look into that as well. Why the heck wouldn't my EN&T suggest stuff like this to me? This has been so frustrating...I feel that since I'm not one of the "I can't breathe" sinus patients that they have no interest in my problems. I appreciate both of your suggestions!

Closed Thread