It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board

• Sjogren's and low back/possible kidney involvement.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-22-2018, 12:02 PM   #1
    Mindy L
    (female)

Mindy L HB User
    Sjogren's and low back/possible kidney involvement.

I was diagnosed with Sacroiliac joint syndrome, and Lumbar Facet syndrome. This is arthritis in my sacrum due to an injury I received in a bicycle accident when I was 15. They do feel better why back has hurt pretty much since then. I am 54 now. I am just now beginning to worry that the pain that I experience above the area that is supposed to have arthritis, is my kidneys complaining.
    They do feel better when I drink electrolyte drinks. So, I am wondering if anyone knows whether there is a way to protect my kidneys from any further problems.

FYI: My mother had 50% kidney function in both her kidneys the last 20 years of her life. She broke her hip, needed surgery, got an opportunistic infection in her wound, which warranted IV antibiotics. This killed what was left of her kidneys. She died a few days later.

My point is that I don't show any other real kidney issues other than the back pain in the kidney area. AND, it seems to get better with electrolyte drinks. I am concerned that they will not be enough to protect them from getting sick. I am used to my back hurting, but I just want to protect my kidneys from more problems.

Yes, I have Sjogrens syndrome. 2003, at the opthamologist, and lacrimal tear duct plugs along with the diagnosis. I ended up giving up my teeth to prevent any heart damage from infections in my jaw. (It was a necessity.) Unfortunately, for Sjogren's patients, dentures don't work well in mouths with little salivation. So my mouth has collapsed in, and I looked 20 years older than I did. Bummer! I also was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Without any pain intervention, I am unable to move. I cannot function. At least there is pharmaceutical means to help with this particular issue.

My mother took Neurontin/gabapentin for 20 or more years, and it is what I am taking. This is my concern. I do not want to go the route my mother did with her kidneys. The last 10 or more years she had to eat almost a protein free diet due to her creatinine levels being elevated. She lived with 50% function in her kidneys for years, but osteoporosis got the best of her. She was only 67.

I have a good deal of reasons to continue to function well, and Sjogren's affects most of my life. I want to make sure that I do everything possible to protect my kidneys.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Thanx,
    Mindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply