It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board

• Burning of the mouth and tongue

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-12-2008, 06:38 AM   #1
    bakingnut
    (female)

bakingnut HB User
    Burning of the mouth and tongue

Hi everyone,

I have recently been diagnosed with osteo arthritis and psoriatic arthritis. My rhuem. dr. also suspected sjogrens. The blood work came back negative. However, I am struggling with dry eyes and dry mouth quite bad. The biggest problem is with my mouth. I cannot use any toothpaste or mouthwash with any kind of mint flavor, even sensodyne is too strong. So I am stuck with kid's bubblegum toothpaste I am really concerned that I can hardly touch my gums and flossing is so painful. The dentist did not see any gum disease. My tongue burns, my lower lip "sticks" to my teeth now, and my taste and smell are way off. The other day I noticed I was feeling nauseated from a smell and finally pinned it down to the fresh air smell coming through my bedroom window. I also forgot to mention that the glands behind my right ear and down my neck are very tender and swollen.
    Does anyone have any experience with these symptoms? Thanks so much

bakingnut

Last edited by bakingnut; 08-12-2008 at 07:03 AM. Reason: forgot

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2008, 10:35 PM   #2
    AuntieLeela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
    Re: Burning of the mouth and tongue

You could have an infection of the salivary gland, sometimes caused by a tiny 'stone' plugging up the salivary duct.

[url]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001039.htm[/url]

If you ever find you suddenly have alot of salty saliva in your mouth, it's because you passed a salivary stone.

A burning sensation with redness and white/grey patches could be thrush.

Closed Thread