It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board

• Terrible sunburn turning purple in spots?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-09-2016, 09:25 PM   #1
    JN19870
    (female)

JN19870 HB User
    Terrible sunburn turning purple in spots?

Is this normal? Sunday, so 6 days ago, I was an idiot and got severely sunburn. Had chills that night kinda sunburn and was swollen up until a few days ago on my legs. Things are better, but my shins are so red and still warm/tingly/painful to walk and standing. I know it's inflammation still, but parts are sort of purple in color, too. Elevation helps it. It's not hurting as bad, but it just looks scary and awful. Is this part of healing on a bad burn? Did I do any permnanent damage? I've never had a sunburn this bad and it kinda freaks me out! I didn't go to the doctor because I haven't had blisters or anything. I'm just paranoid now because of the color change.

Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2016, 10:30 PM   #2
    mmmc
    (female)

mmmc HB User
    Re: Terrible sunburn turning purple in spots?

I am going though this right now as well, it's been 12 days for me. I was just checking in to see if you have recovered yet? I'm worried my legs will be red/purple forever.

Last edited by mmmc; 09-28-2016 at 10:31 PM.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:17 PM   #3
    JN19870
    (female)

JN19870 HB User

I did! It took a long time, though. Aloe nonstop and if you're REALLY worried, go to a doctor for special cream. If you're still really swollen 12 days later, might be best. I think I was less swollen by then but I peeled for weeks after. Seriously the worst pain/stupidest thing ever. My skin texture on my legs is still kinda rough. That was in April so 5 months later lol. And my legs still get redder than normal when heated up, like getting out of the shower! You basically burst a lot of small blood vessels and those capillaries swell and need a long time to heal. If you have any other questions, let me know! I know it sucks. Keep your legs elevated above your heart as much as possible. Helps with the purple-ness and swelling.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:18 AM   #4
    mmmc
    (female)

mmmc HB User

Thank you so much for responding!
    It has stopped swelling - it only lasted one night and was pretty much gone by the next morning (that was on night 3 of the burn) so I didn't go to the doctor. By the week mark I was stressing badly because I still had pain in my shin so I did go to the doctor. He gave me anti inflammatory tablets and told me just to moisturise it. It hadn't changed 5 days later so I went back and a different doctor has given me a steroid cream to apply before bed - she said it probably won't do much as it had been so long since getting burnt

I am still very red - almost purple in spots on my shins and I'm so worried that I will never have my legs look normal again. My legs are still blistering and I haven't properly peeled yet so I'm just leaving it alone and hoping for the best. Are you really pale by any chance?! If I ever get back to normal I am never laying out in the sun again. Lesson learnt.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:43 AM   #5
    mmmc
    (female)

mmmc HB User

Also I forgot to ask how long exactly until the redness went away?

Old 09-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #6
    JN19870
    (female)

JN19870 HB User

Oh I was definitely purple on my shins. And every time you shower and heat your legs up, it's still going to get redder than normal for a while. Like months. I think mine still get a tiny bit red 5 months later. I'm not even thatttt pale! I used to be tan from playing outside as a kid and even as a young adult some. I've been out of the sun for about 4-5 years now, but I never thought I'd get a burn like this. Your legs will look normal again I promise. It'll just take a while. What kind of blisters do you have? Are they just really tough and red/purple or did you have like, boils basically? When that peels, it'll peel a few times or more, and you'll start looking normal again. Just let it peel naturally and don't peel any of it yourself. Keep it moisturized during that process, too. Like I said, my skin texture is a little different on my shins now, lol. It's just rougher/thicker feeling. But I think this will change over time. It's definitely a lesson to learn! Tons of sunscreen from now on...

Old 09-29-2016, 03:13 PM   #7
    mmmc
    (female)

mmmc HB User

Same. I am very fair but with time I can tan. I have never had a burn this bad in my life and I'm 26. Thanks for bringing me some hope that they will return. It's 2 weeks tomorrow and I still don't see much improvement. Although I still haven't peeled! I have peeled on my stomach and it's still red - I could live with that if my legs were normal.

They're just little bubble blisters, the clear tiny ones all over, not those huge yellow ones. Did you end up getting blisters?

Old 09-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #8
    JN19870
    (female)

JN19870 HB User

Yeah, I think it took me a while to peel as well. Like Maybe 3 weeks, lol. I never had blisters, but my shins were the worst and just VERY tough feeling and it ended up being just layers that was going to peel. The worst pain I've ever felt was trying to walk on my legs after having them propped up. That shin pain is terrible. My tattoo was nothing at ALL compared to that lol. It will totally heal but it'll take forever.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:44 PM   #9
    mmmc
    (female)

mmmc HB User

Yes! The shin pain was horrible for the first few days. So glad that is gone.

Well it seems like I've still got a while to go until I completely heal...I guess all I can do is wait.

Thank you so much for replying and answering my questions, it's helped me not to stress so much

Let's never do this again haha.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:00 PM   #10
    JN19870
    (female)

JN19870 HB User

No problem at all! I made it a point to answer because I never once found a description of exactly what I had, anywhere online, lol. Definitely use sunscreen ALWAYS in the future! Haha. And good luck with everything!

Old 10-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #11
    mmmc
    (female)

mmmc HB User

I agree, I couldn't find any information about this either. I saw a lot of people say they had the same symptoms but no one ever came back to say how/if they have healed.

I just have another question - I have now finished my 5 nights of steroid cream and I think it helped the redness a tiny bit but now I'm on my own...I was just wondering if there was any specific cream or lotion that you used to help heal the skin? I am using a burn gel that the pharmacy told me to use but I don't think it is doing much.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:47 AM   #12
    JN19870
    (female)

JN19870 HB User

I don't think I used anything special, just aloe several times a day for a month or longer. I pretty much did that and wore long skirts for a month, lol. I was looking at my skin on my shins today and it's definitely not as smooth still. Like, feels about the same texture-wise, but it looks like someone who has tanned a ton and aged their skin... not WRINKLY, that's the wrong word, but I can see lines there that weren't before in certain angles. Literally nothing that anyone could ever see or notice or pay attention to, but it does speak to how the sun damages your skin. I think it's still something that could improve, maybe, with retinol or something later on. But for now I don't wanna use anything harsh at all on my skin. I just use oil in the shower or normal lotion now.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:09 PM   #13
    mmmc
    (female)

mmmc HB User

Were you still quite red after a month? In some lights I look pink, then inside/in the shade I look bright red/purple and freshly burnt and very splotchy - other times (in daylight) I almost look my normal colour? Did you have this as well?

I'm starting to get really stressed again because it hasn't changed in the last week at all. It's hard to believe they will ever go back to my natural colour. It's also coming into summer here in Australia and I'm not sure what I'm going to do seeing as it's ridiculously hot where I live and I won't be able to wear long pants the entire season ahhhh.

I'd be okay with a bit of texture if only they were back to normal colour wise..

It'll be 3 weeks on Saturday. I have a lot of dead skin waiting to peel off but it STILL hasn't started to peel yet. It's so tempting to try and exfoliate it but I'm resisting.

Last edited by mmmc; 10-05-2016 at 06:10 PM.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:45 PM   #14
    JN19870
    (female)

JN19870 HB User

DEFINITELY don't pick at it or exfoliate. Yes, mine did that. It's almost like it's turning different shades. It should start peeling and you'll be fine, I'm sure, but you really have to be patient and give it time. You got a REALLY bad burn, and it's going to take a while. I know I felt the same and was freaked out, but it'll start peeling in another week or so and just let it do it on its own. Some will come off in the shower. But don't agitate it or "make" it come off before it does so naturally. I can only imagine that would make it slower to heal, maybe even make it worse. Keep moisturized. All you can do at this point. And obviously don't get in the sun.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:09 PM   #15
    mmmc
    (female)

mmmc HB User

I definitely wont pick or pull the skin off. I've been wearing long pants and avoiding the sun as much as possible - even when I'm inside at home I make sure all the blinds are shut haha it's probably a bit dramatic.

When did you notice the redness started to fade? Did it turn into tanned skin after or just back to normal?

Closed Thread