It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board

• Folliculitis Suddenly Destroying my Body

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-16-2016, 01:00 AM   #1
    troop111
    (male)

troop111 HB User
    Folliculitis Suddenly Destroying my Body

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and could really use your help.

I'm 31 years old, male, and I've never had folliculitis (in-grown hairs) in my life. Now they're spreading across my whole body and I'm freaked out.

About 6 months ago they appeared on my inner-thighs and pubic hair region. They looked like little red pin-points, dozens and dozens of them, covering both inner thighs and pubic hair region. The ironic thing is that this condition generally occurs in areas where a person shaves, and I don't shave any of these areas.

Anyhow, the dots would turn into these fiery little whiteheads, then turn into angry looking sores, almost like little boils. I'd apply a medicated ointment to them, and they'd eventually abate, but they'd leave these dark purple scars behind, in the shape of little pin-points or, for the more severe ones, cigarette burn-like scars the size of a dime. For the in-grown hairs that happened to be clustered together, the scarring would connect, so it'd look like one big dark purple scar. I went into the doctor and he diagnosed it as folliculitis, and after viewing pictures of the disorder, this seems to be a correct diagnosis.

Since then, they've spread to my lower legs and chest. Again, I shave neither. I'm afraid they're going to consume my whole body with dark purple scars.

My question: Why this sudden onslaught of folliculitis? Nothing in my life has changed, they just appeared out of nowhere. I've never had it before, and it's suddenly consuming my entire body. I'm freaked out because of the nasty-looking scars they leave behind.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? It'd be much appreciated!

troop

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2016, 03:55 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Folliculitis Suddenly Destroying my Body

Troop, I feel your pain. I had something going on which sounds very similar on the backs of my thights. Sitting in a chair was KILLING me because it burned! My best friend said it sounded like heat rash....finally, I went to the dermatologist because I couldnt take it anymore. Did yours itch? Mine itched randomly.

Anyway, the doctor said Folliculitis, but it wasnt all ingrown hairs, it was clogged pores as well from where the pore just wouldnt open. She prescribed a steroid cream and an antibiotic ointment to use 2x a day. Not only did it immediatley clear up, its been a week without any new ones. It appears the steroid cream controlled the inflamation, so it stopped spreading, the antibiotic ointment was just to make sure that those little pustules didnt open and spread....as they pop, the bacteria inside them can cause more!

Dont know if this will help you. but ten days after going to the derm I am doing 100% better!

Old 09-21-2016, 11:28 AM   #3
    troop111
    (male)

troop111 HB User

Hi MSN,

Thanks for your reply! I have a question for you: How did you apply these ointments so that they wouldn't be immediately rubbed off by your clothing/chairs/bed sheets?

troop

Old 09-22-2016, 03:23 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

The steroid cream is absorbed into the body within 10 minutes. I actually tried to let it absorb before getting dressed. Once it dried, it really couldnt rub off on anything.

I was told to use the antibiotic on top of it. My doctor prescribed an ointment which had a creamy consistency. Some of it may have gotten on the inside of my pants; but I would say 90% of it also absorbed into my skin.
    With the steroid, I was told to use a pea sized amount in each area. The antibiotic was also just a small amount.

FYI, after using this for less than 10 days, everything is completely gone now! It took getting a prescription strength for this to work..nothing over the counter even touched it and I spent 2 months trying to fix this on my own.

Good luck!

Old 10-05-2016, 10:31 PM   #5
    troop111
    (male)

troop111 HB User

My concern is that once I stop using these creams, the Folliculitis will flare up again. Have you had this issue, or does it seem to be gone for good?

Reply Reply

Tags
    acne, folliculitis, ingrown hair, scarring, skin conditions