It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board

• eczema back of neck long hair

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-03-2020, 09:11 PM   #1
    eirrac
    (female)

eirrac HB User
    eczema back of neck long hair

I just started having eczema at the back of my neck, along the hairline. I have long hair. Does that make the eczema worse? Should I keep my hair up in a pony tail? It seems that when my hair is down, it makes my neck warmer or something. Will I get more eczema when I wear my hair down? Your thoughts?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: eczema back of neck long hair

Are you sure its eczema, and are you on medication?

I assume that anything that would exacerbate discomfort, that might be causing itching or scratching, would help.

Have you made any changes regarding products, diet, new supplements, etc?

q

Old 11-05-2020, 02:33 PM   #3
    eirrac
    (female)

eirrac HB User

My dermatologist diagnosed it as eczema about a month ago. He prescribed triamcinalone ointment first, and it helped some. But I was getting a few red, pimply spots on my back as well. So I just finished 10 days on betamethasone cream. I'm on the fourth day of being off of it. My doctor said not to use any more cortisone cream for at least a week. I'm experiencing tiredness and a weak, shaky feeling as well as some lightheadedness. Other than that I'm okay. My doctor would like to avoid the cortisone from now on, and have me come to the hospital for ultraviolet narrow band treatments. But because of the pandemic being so bad in our area, he wants me to wait until it's safer, because I'll need to come for those treatments 2 or 3 times a week for about 3 months and I'm a senior citizen. In the meantime, all I can use on the eczema is colloidal oatmeal cream. It helps with the itching and any redness. I don't have a really bad case of eczema, but I'm getting new itch bumps here and there. I'm hoping it doesn't get much worse, since it will be months before I can have the UV treatments. I'm putting the colloidal oatmeal cream on right after showers as well, to moisturize as well as control the itch. But this is all new to me. And I really wonder, too, whether the tired, weak, shaky feeling could be from stopping the betamethasone and triamcinalone creams. Sorry if I'm not explaining this very well. I don't know anyone who has eczema, so I can't really compare notes. And my doctor is gone for a few days. Any suggestions you have, or information, would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-06-2020, 11:05 AM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi...you're explaining it perfectly.

It is possible for someone to have a stronger reaction to steroid topical than others. How long have you been off it?

Do you have any other allergies? Asthma?
    I'm wondering if an antihistamine might help with some of the itching?

There is a medication that I used on my face to see if it would help another issue. Elidel. It is used for eczema, nonsteroid...but is expensive. Worth a try though to discuss it with your doctor.

I used it on my forehead and around my nose, but it gave me a headache, so I had to stop using it. Could have been location...but I do get headaches very often and am sensitive to some meds. I didn't have eczema anyway, but tried it for another issue.

q

Old 11-09-2020, 11:20 AM   #5
    Laura789
    (female)

Laura789 HB UserLaura789 HB UserLaura789 HB UserLaura789 HB User

I've tried steroids which worked only for a short time. I was very happy to find something that actually worked. I've been using Aloe Vera gel for a couple months and the eczema on my hand is almost completely gone, no more itching and burning or cracked skin. I got a bottle from a dollar store to try. It contained alcohol, which I do not recommend as it stings and irritates. I squirted some out and let the alcohol dissipate for a while. No more stinging. I'll finish this bottle since it is working so well.

It is certainly worth a try since it is so inexpensive and you can find the gel with no alcohol. Look for one that has a high percentage of aloe vera. I apply it only once a day.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:42 AM   #6
    eirrac
    (female)

eirrac HB User

Hi Quincy, I have tried eating less sugar so far. I read that I should eliminate dairy and eggs, which I need for the diet my doctor has me on for another health issue. I do drink lactose free milk and take a probiotic. Not sure whether it's good to take the probiotic or not. The probiotic has virtually eliminated my irritable bowel issues, so I'd like to keep taking it. I've also read that eczema can be a result of an overactive immune system. And probiotics are good for strengthening your immune system. My doctor says I need a strong immune system to help prevent the COVID virus. I need to get answers from other eczema sufferers. It doesn't help to just google "eczema" and get answers that contradict each other. I hope you'll answer some of my questions.

Old 11-29-2020, 12:25 PM   #7
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi...eczema is an autoimmune disease, and unless you have an allergy to eggs and milk, it doesn't seem you would need to cut it out.

Stress will definitely drive it, and products that your skin doesnt like won't help.
    What are you using for your hair and skin products? And do you have eczema elsewhere on your body?

You're absolutely right about info...there are always the extreme and then there are the factual regarding disease on the internet.

What is your other health issue....autoimmune diseases love to party with others. As well, some are linked.
    I believe probiotics are necessary in general. Good you're staying on them.
    q

Reply Reply