It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board

• Very oily skin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-27-2004, 12:15 PM   #1
    DJC6535

DJC6535 HB User
    Very oily skin

I am a male, well removed from puberty and while the white heads of acne have gone, my skin has remained oily as ever. I have very oily skin, esp. on my forehead and nose. As you can imagine, blackheads have formed and refuse to go away.

I wash my face twice daily with Cetaphil for Oily skin, but within an hour my face is oily again. It gets so bad at work that I can just FEEL the layer on my skin.

I eat a healthy diet, I exercise... what can I do to prevent my skin from producing so much oil? What am I probably doing wrong that is causing this?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2004, 07:08 AM   #2
    tiramasu
    (female)

tiramasu HB User
    Re: Very oily skin

hiya!
    i'm an oily skin sufferer too but it's got much less of a problem since i stopped using harsh products supposedly 'designed' for oily skin. the harsher the product, the more it dries your skin and the more your skin retaliates to the sudden loss moisture by producing even more oil! so for me i use a gentle cleanser which effectively cleans but doesn't strip your skin of its moisture!!

i really like using oil of olay daily facials for dry skin (and green people gentle cleanser at morning)and then an oil free moisturiser after ( i use kiehls sodium pca moisturiser which is a bit pricey but i've heard clean and clear's oil free moisturiser is good too and much cheaper) also don't cleanse more than twice a day, cos that can aggravate it to. when you dry your face, pat it dry, don't rub cos that stimulates the sebaceous glands!

alot of it though is down to the hormone production. for girls it's a bit easier - we can go on b.c. pills (i'm on yasmin)to reduce the oil promoting hormones. i think guys can go on spironalactone too, which is meant to be an antihypertensive but also reduces oily skin problems. thats prescribed by doctors tho and you need your blood checking when on it.

also whats helped me is cutting out dairy products. i hate cheese anyway and i just converted to soya milk which tastes foul on its own but is ok on cereal. i think it's the lactose in milk that stimulates sebum production. this change has been the most effective so far for me reducing the oil!

doing all of the above has totally helped me out, hope it helps you too! if you need more advice, do a search in the acne forum, i'm sure they'll help you out there!

good luck

Old 03-01-2004, 10:09 PM   #3
    Saka
    Veteran

Saka HB User
    Re: Very oily skin

I have suffered from very oily skin for years now and it does get very annoying. I've used so many cleansers it's not funny. The ones that are the best for oily skin though are cream cleansers. They are much gentler to your skin and do not dry it out. And I also exfoliate twice a week.

Though my skin is still oily it has improved a lot. I can now go all day without my makeup rubbing off with the oil.

And one final note, there is a good side to having oily skin. You don't age as fast as other people. Because your skin is oily it keeps it's youthfulness a bit longer than dry skin does.

Cheers
    Sakorsha

~*~Always look on the bright side of any situation. Sometimes it's hard to find, but it [I]is[/I] there.~*~

Closed Thread