It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board

• Need help removing skin tags; could they be cause by hypothyroidism?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2004, 12:40 PM   #1
    concerned_mom

concerned_mom HB User
    Unhappy Need help removing skin tags; could they be cause by hypothyroidism?

A few years ago i had some moles removed from my face, and at the same time i also had skin tags removed from around my neck and under my arms. Well recently the skin tags have begun to return around my neck, but have gotten even worse than before. A year ago I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and was told that could be why the skin tags are coming on more rapidly. Does anyone know if this has any truth to it? Or has experienced it yourself. Also is there something that i can do myself to remove them, it it quite expernsive to have it done by a doctor and i just cant afford it right now. But they are starting to look very bad and unappealing, and being single that is not good. ..if you know what i mean So any information would be helpful..thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2004, 09:12 AM   #2
    Katyana
    Veteran
    (female)

Katyana HB User
    Re: Need help removing skin tags; could they be cause by hypothyroidism?

[QUOTE=concerned_mom]A few years ago i had some moles removed from my face, and at the same time i also had skin tags removed from around my neck and under my arms. Well recently the skin tags have begun to return around my neck, but have gotten even worse than before. A year ago I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and was told that could be why the skin tags are coming on more rapidly. Does anyone know if this has any truth to it? Or has experienced it yourself. Also is there something that i can do myself to remove them, it it quite expernsive to have it done by a doctor and i just cant afford it right now. But they are starting to look very bad and unappealing, and being single that is not good. ..if you know what i mean So any information would be helpful..thanks.[/QUOTE]

Skin Tags (Papilomas) are hereditary unfortunately. And they tend to occur in "sweaty" areas (under arms, beneathe breasts, abdominal folds, groins, face etc). They are annoying and unattractive.

Yes, it's possible to remove "some" of the tags yourself, but I'm reluctant to answer the question more than that for fear that you may end up with an infection. I suggest you contact your doctor and ask if there is anything you can do at home on your own that is safe, to remove them yourself.

Old 03-06-2004, 02:34 PM   #3
    GirlHarley
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GirlHarley HB User

Concerned Mom - Please don't try to remove the skin tags on your own.
    I had mine done 5 years ago during an office visit with my Primary Doctor
    he burned them off and it did not hurt. It was more like a pinch. The office visit with medical insurance cost me only $10.00 and I was there for the Flu and happened to mention to him about my annoying skin tags that started to bother me when putting on clothes. They were around my neck and chest area.

Good Luck

Old 03-19-2004, 09:40 PM   #4
    kcoffey25

kcoffey25 HB User

i clean mine with betadine & snip them off myself (this is what the dr. does). it doesn't hurt as much as having lidocaine injected to numb the area. you can get some small nail scissiors & not use them for anything else. you also need to clean these with betadine before you snip the mole. afterward apply an antibiotic ointment & bandaid, you need 2 keep the area clean & dry & apply ointment & bandaid as needed. i'm not talking about any skin tags other than really small ones, remember that they do have the potential to bleed a lot & infection is a real danger. it will be much better if you talk to your dr before u try 2 do 1

Last edited by kcoffey25; 03-19-2004 at 10:20 PM.

Old 06-12-2005, 09:24 PM   #5
    softballmomof2
    (female)

softballmomof2 HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Need help removing skin tags; could they be cause by hypothyroidism?

I recently had my 2nd set of skin tags removed. I asked why they were back again and my dermatologist said that the skin tags were a type of virus and that as soon as I noticed them appearing to make appt. and have them removed because they spread. she also said that if you ever notice someone with many on their neck it is where necklaces have rubbed and spread the virus. Hope this helps.

Old 06-12-2005, 11:50 PM   #6
    kitkat77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kitkat77 HB User

I'm hypothyroid too and never heard of getting skin tags from this although I suppose it's possible.

Like Katyana said, they are hereditary and occur in warm places. What was not mentioned here is that they occur during pregnancy, so may have something to do with hormones as well.

Old 06-13-2005, 05:56 PM   #7
    JanetinHouston

JanetinHouston HB User

Softball is right. I didn't have one until about two years ago, and my derm said once you find one, there are more to follow.

Closed Thread