It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board

• skin rash

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-11-2004, 11:54 PM   #1
    hal_robertson

hal_robertson HB User
    skin rash

I am writing because it's late on a Friday and I will be virtually unable to reach a doctor until Monday unless I go to the emergency room, so I'd like some help determining if that's necessary, plus anything I can do to self medicate in the near term.

I've developed in the past three hours these huge red blotches all around my stomache, all over my back, some in my armpits and in between my legs

The surface of my skin near these places is bumpy, (I don't know if they're blisters, or blotches, or what, but it's kind of like orange peel when the skin of the orange is really thick) No open sores or wounds. I itch quite a bit. Not super bad, but a good amount. A little in my eye right now though I'm also quite anxious at the moment. Trying to stay calm... The symptoms started real light ~3 hrs. ago, and then got much much worse while I was watching a movie at a movie theater. When I stood up at the end of the movie I found myself itching everywhere.

I should mention, too, that for the past 2+ weeks I've been fighting a very persistent but again not overly strong sinus infection which has mostly cleared thanks to saline washes in my sinuses.

I ate popcorn at the theater, but I was itching a little before the movie.(nowhere near now) and for that fact I had popcorn last night with no problems.

5 days ago, I had a similar breakout, but it was nowhere near as bad. That day I also had popcorn, just the same kind I made for myself last night. I attributed the breakout to some granola I had at a vegan restaurant. The oatmeal was full of all kinds of nuts I've never seen before, so I thought maybe one of those I didn't agree with. But now, 5 days after I ate the granola, with the symptoms reappearing (much worse this time) I don't think that was it.

I suspect it may be a byproduct of my sinus infection, or that my sinus infection was a smaller symptom to a bigger problem that I have.

So ... my question is -- since I don't know what I have or how potentially dangerous it is, how do I know when it's the right time to go to the emergency room? Can I wait until tomorrow to maybe find a doctor open on Saturday (hah!)? Can I wait until Monday? Should I run to the store and find some Vitamin D cream, Oatmeal cream, or Benadryl? Anybody been through this kind of thing?

Then, if anyone has any comments on how to cleanse my body of whatever is running through it, I would really appreciate it. I am quite scared at the moment!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2004, 12:39 AM   #2
    hal_robertson

hal_robertson HB User
    Re: skin rash

well, well, well.... I may have figured it out

You know what I drank along with that granola I had the first time I got the rash? A very strong herbal ginger tea.

Guess what I had a big glass of before I went to the movies today? A very tasty all natural cup of Ginger tea!

There are a few subtle references on the web to ginger skin creams or ginger leaves causing skin rashes. My guess (and hope!) is that I'm alergic to Ginger. (though I really liked the teas, I'd be fine to avoid them if it makes this rash go away)

I've had ginger ale and ginger sprinkled in asian food, as well as some weird ginger alcoholic drink at an African restaurant in the past w/o problems. But I assume in all those cases that the ginger was not strong enough to cause a breakout. Though that ginger alcoholic drink had a *really* strong ginger taste - I didn't like the stuff. It was likely not made with the same kind of ginger like the teas I've been drinking.

In short, this has calmed my fears for the night. I'm not sure how long they symptoms should persist. Perhaps as much as a few days? My guess is I should still contact my doctor just to be safe, but that it can likely wait until next week, provided my symptoms don't get worse.

Last edited by hal_robertson; 06-12-2004 at 12:45 AM.

Old 06-12-2004, 07:06 AM   #3
    teachergirl64
    Veteran
    (female)

teachergirl64 HB User
    Re: skin rash

It sounds like you may have figured it out. I'd keep some Benedryl on hand, both the pills and the cream. The cream will calm the hives and the pill will work on the allergic reaction. If you went to the ER, they would give you benedryl, so I'd save my $$ unless you start having breathing problems. In that case call 911 or have someone drive you.

Closed Thread