It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board

• Extremely vexing itchy rashes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-09-2004, 12:36 AM   #1
    blackplastic

blackplastic HB User
    Extremely vexing itchy rashes

I've had extremely vexing itchy rashes for the past few years. I can't pinpoint exactly when they started. I am an 18 year old female and I have contact dermatis, and because I've rid myself of all metal things, I'm positive that it has nothing to do with this. I've done numerous research sessions in an attempt to identify what exactly is wrong with me and I haven't found much.
    It has become especially extreme since summer has arrived. This is what happens... for example... If I'm wearing a plastic bracelet on my wrist and my wrist starts to sweat, I tend to get very itchy. So I scratch it, very carefully. I realize what happens when I excessively scratch and stop but I'm still very itchy. The itch turns into a rash, which might sweat more and sting, still very itchy. If I continue to scratch that area, the rash spreads and becomes sort of bumpy with sort of white tops and if I continue to scratch the white bumps bleed. The bumps are very small and very close together and very itchy. However, when my face sweats, I don't become itchy.
    This also happens on the inside of my arm, neck, wrist, under my breasts, my lower back, in the area where my butt and the back of my leg rest when I sit, and behind my knee where the leg bends. Basically any place that I sweat. Currently, my right wrist, lower back, and the entire back of my legs itch. It's so frustrating and nearly every cream that I've tried doesn't work.
    The skin eventually gets sort of tough where it heals and stays sort of itchy. If I keep itching that spot, the skin bleeds easily and hurts. I once had very spread out bumps on both arms up to my elbows and when it healed, I got a very light colored bumps on my arms as scars, almost like white goose-pimples. These are finally going away after more than two years. The entire section of the back of my legs is a very dark color compared to the rest of my skin. It's like a huge scar that won't stop itching. I don't sit down in one spot for very long for fear of my legs getting hot and being uncontrollably itchy. Thinking that maybe there's something under my finger nails, I'm constantly washing my hands and reprimanding myself for even touching an itchy area. I almost want to wear mittens on my hands all the time. And I'm afraid that when I sleep, I unknowingly scratch myself, despite all of my efforts to control my hands when I'm awake. My rashes and scars make me very self conscious. I won't even let my significant other see the back of my legs. It's very distressing and frustrating.
    I'm positive that I'm not allergic to my clothes because no matter what I wear, I itch.
    So, I guess when I sweat or get too hot I get itchy, rash, and scar. I haven't seen a doctor about it because I'm almost positive that he WON'T research my problem to help me. He'll just PRESCRIBE something to me that won't work and kick me out of his office. I once went to a doctor for my contact dermatis and he gave me two different popular and highly effective creams that didn't work for me at all. It turned into a layer of cream on my itchy skin that I scratched and got under my finger nails and was disgusted. The only cream that worked at all was something that somebody bought me from Hawaii, used to treat eczema, sunburn, and other skin irritations. It also smells really good.
    By myself, I've concluded that I should try and control my hands, keep my fingernails short (as much as I hate it), and try to not be in a situation where I'd become hot or humid. I just apply cream, control myself, stay cool, and try not to think about it. The back of my legs are brown and I haven't exposed them to sunlight in years! It disgusts me and I have no idea how long it'll be before they're normal again... maybe never.
    It may just be an issue of self control, but I'd really like to figure out what's wrong with me, especially since I can't find anything specifically about it. And especially since it's so, so distressing. Also, nobody in my family that I know of has allergies or skin conditions. I try so hard not to scratch but sometimes an itch could drive you crazy. Just imagine a very large, severe itch that won't go away and you know if you scratch it, you'd be scarring yourself. Sometimes I can't help but wonder, why me?
    Does anyone have a similar condition or knows what this is? Also, would a dermatologist actually help me or give me a prescription and tell me to leave?

The Following User Says Thank You to blackplastic For This Useful Post:
    eat right (08-13-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2004, 11:18 AM   #2
    delaeh

delaeh HB User
    Re: Extremely vexing itchy rashes

Hello,

The terms eczema and dermatitis are interchangeable and refer to the inflammation of the skin. There are many different types of eczemas. You've stated that you have been diagnosed with contact dermatitis. Another form of that eczema is called allergic contact dermatitis. The difference between the contact dermatitis and the allergic contact dermatitis is localization. For example; a reaction on the wrist due to the materials (metals) of a wrist watch that is localized to the area of the wrist is contact dermatitis. An allergic reaction from poison ivy is considered to be allergic contact dermatitis and will more than likely affect the whole body and spread rapidly due to the scratching from itching. You can also have this type of a reaction, "allergic contact dermatitis", due to certain preservatives found in creams or lotions.

Eczemas of any kind are a sign of poor immune health. In treating the skin of eczema, you will need to address the immune health as well. This is done through good nutrition. Water, fruit, and vegetables are essential to restoring good immune health. Water will not only rehydrate the skin and restore the moisture barrier; but it will also flush the toxins from your blood stream. (The inflammation and breakout that you see on the skin is manifestation of toxins in the blood stream). Fruit and vegetables, in addition to providing the vitamins and minerals essential for good immune health, also absorb the toxins that enter the body and promote their flushing through normal bowel movements. Beta carotene/vitamin A and zinc boost immune health. Green vegetables (spinach, kale, collards & brocolli), carrots, squash, and romaine/green lettuce are good sources of vitamin A/beta carotene. Soft drinks, sugars, and processed foods cause havoc to your immune health; therefore opting to drink more water and the application of a healthy diet will dramatically change your immune response by restoring balance to the immune system.

My nieces are living proof that a healthy balance can be restored to the immune system. Two of my nieces, who suffered severe (total body) eczema flareups in their infancy were totally healed of their eczema skin in two weeks time (no scarring). They haven't suffered an eczema flareup since that time; despite the fact that they have been diagnosed with atopic eczema (hereditary eczema). We removed the allergen from their environment, treated their skin with a natural vitamin/enriched skin care system, and addressed their immune health with good nutrition. They are now 5 and 3 years old. Making sure that their diets were free of soft drinks, sugary drinks, and junk foods; and that their diets were rich in water, 100% fruit juices, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains has ensured the longterm success that my nieces have enjoyed.

Much of the frustrations that come with eczema sufferers is due to the fact that their immune health is never addressed. The body is messaging through the skin (release of toxins) that toxins are overwhelming the system. Topical medications don't address the message for help that the body is sending; and instead choose to suppress the symptom (the message). {For example; say that the oil light comes on in your car, the correct response would be to check the oil levels in your car and to add more oil if needed. If an individual's response to an oil light in their car was to go under the hood of the car and snap the line that sends the message to "check the oil" in order to avoid having that light bother them again, it would probably be pretty clear to most people that such a response was not a smart one. However, this has been the response for treatment of eczema or dermatitis through medications that suppress the symptom; in essence, ignoring the message and not addressing the reason the body was sending it} My history with eczema goes back 30+ years. I've witnessed this type of treatment with my mother who has suffered all these years. When my nieces were born, I refused to have them suffer in the same way, and with my family's blessing, we found an alternative and healthy way to approach eczema. By addressing eczema on all three fronts, (internal - immune health, external - skin care, and foreign - allergen/irritant), we were able to bring immediate, longterm healing to my nieces.

Often when I describe the success in treating eczema and addressing the immune health through good nutrition, it is inevitable that someone will make a comment regarding an overactive immune system and how what I am saying contradicts it. It is from their response that I know that people have defined an overactive immune system to be synonymous with a strong immune system. This is not the case. An overactive immune system is an "out of balance immune system", overwhelmed by toxins in the body which produces an abundance of histamine release. It's the abundance of histamine release (activity) that establishes the name "overactive immune system". A strong immune system would be more synonymous to a healthy immune system (meaning strong, not weak). It is because my family realized that the overactivity in the immune system was due to a system overwhelmed by toxins that we chose to strengthen the health of my nieces' immune systems through good nutrition. Our nieces longterm success of eczema free skin and my mother's continued suffering (suppression through medication & poor nutrition) confirm our point. In order to heal the skin successfully of eczema, the message from the body through the symptom needs to be addressed in all three areas: internal (immune health), external (natural vitamin/mineral enriched skin care), and foreign (ridding allergen/irritant from environment).

Another misconception that people have is that atopic dermatitis (hereditary eczema); due to its hereditary nature, can't be helped. The misconception arises because they assume that the flareup is inherited. The flareup is prompted or caused by the presence of an allergen/irritant in the environment. What is inherited is a system that is prone to breakout or flareups due to their poor immune health. This is why, in the very extreme cases experienced by my nieces, we were able to achieve success due to our understanding of the skin disorder. Although it is stated that there is no cure for eczema; it does not mean that the skin can't be healed of eczema. No cure, simply means that orthodox medication hasn't developed a drug or immunization to stop the progression of eczema. No cure doesn't mean that the skin can't be healed. Eczema skin can, indeed, be healed and health can, indeed, be restored to the immune system.

Keeping in mind that you need to address all three areas, I can suggest a natural skin care regimen that may work well for your sensitive skin care needs. Borage Skin Therapy lotion by Shikai contains borage oil and aloe which have natural anti-inflammatory and healing properties. Shikai also produces a bath and shower gel moisturizer that contains colloidal oatmeal and aloe as well. Colloidal oatmeal is a natural anti-pruritic. What that means is that it has natural anti-itch properties. The Borage Skin therapy lotion is a fragrance free lotion. You can also obtain their bath and shower gel in a fragrance free formula. These items can be found at your local Whole Foods Market, a national whole foods chain in the U.S. As I have stated earlier, it is important to address all three areas when treating eczema skin. The body is messaging, through the symptom (eczema flareup), a system overwhelmed by toxins in the body; therefore it is important to identify the allergen/irritant (toxin) and to restore the health of the immune system through good nutrition, in addition to finding good skin care.

Eczema medications are a billion dollar industry for pharmaceutical companies. It is also inevitable that when I tell of the success that my family has achieved, someone will respond with this statement, "it can't be that simple". That is exactly what a billion dollar industry wants sufferers to think. Over 30 years of suffering with eczema and numerous medications later, not once did any of my mother's dermatologist address her poor health practices (she never drank water, only soft drinks). My mother used the medication as a way of condoning her poor health habits. Now, even after the personal success that she has witnessed (for five years now) with her granddaughters, she has become addicted to the medications and continue her poor health habits. It's one thing for people to seek out medications to help with their suffering; however it is not wise to be naive to the billion dollar industry promoting it. I don't want you to end up suffering in the way that my mother has; especially when I know that you can enjoy the same freedom from suffering that my nieces have enjoyed for years now. You don't have to suffer any longer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delaeh For This Useful Post:
    eat right (08-13-2012),sjoconnect (04-11-2011)
    Closed Thread