It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board

• Help! Do I really want to have an Obagi blue peel?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-07-2004, 01:11 PM   #1
    jlh9s

jlh9s HB User
    Help! Do I really want to have an Obagi blue peel?

I'm in my early 30's and have quite a few sun spots and freckling, such that my dermatologist recommended that I get a blue peel. I'm pretty nervous about it, though, because she also recommended the laser hair removal - which is supposed to be painless and relatively side-effect free. Well, that was not the case with me! I had the laser hair removal on my brows and upper lip on Thursday morning. Since that time, four days later, every place that she touched - and I warned her in advance how sensitive my skin is - has broken out into blisters that have crusted over. My skin is bright red and hot, like a severe sunburn, and my whole face has swollen so badly that this morning I had to go to the emergency room because I could barely see out of my eyes. They gave me some prednisone and told me to apply Barrow's and just wait it out for a few more days.

They told me at the emergency room that they've seen this happen to others who get the laser hair removal, and they've seen people have really extreme reactions to peels, too. I read and asked my dermatologist carefully about side effects, and she said 1-3 hours of redness and a little swelling, but I'd have no problem going back to work immediately, and nothing like this was ever mentioned!

The treatment itself was also very painful, like burning with the smell of my hair burning. I have no intention of getting the other 3 treatments recommended, and now I am wondering if I'm unusually sensitive and should avoid getting a blue peel, or whether others have had similar experiences? It may be that there's so little out there that this is normal and no one ever reports the true rotten side effects.

If I get a peel, I am definitely doing it when I don't have to see anyone for at least 10 days and I'm going to ask for a very low dosage. I would really appreciate hearing people's experiences with it. I don't have any acne or facial scarring, just sun spotting/freckling. Did anyone have a bad experience with it? How long before you could go out in public? What is the worst that I should expect? Did anyone have it leave your skin worse than before?

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2004, 01:16 PM   #2
    girlygal

girlygal HB User
    Re: Help! Do I really want to have an Obagi blue peel?

Reading your post you sound just like me I am having the peel on Nov. 20th but I am so nervous I have dark spots I want to get rid of but I have heard good stories and bad I do not want to be one of the bad, I am really thinking hard about this so anyone with info please fill us in. Thanks

Old 11-08-2004, 11:11 PM   #3
    jlh9s

jlh9s HB User

If no one else responds, would you mind telling me how it goes on Nov 20?

Old 11-11-2004, 09:40 PM   #4
    Allicsirp1

Allicsirp1 HB User

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=2]Hi!

I have very fair, freckled skin. I am 47 years old and I refuse to do a blue peel knowing how sensitive my skin is to things like depilatories and also Retin A. I have also done some home remedy glycolic peels that have kept me from going out in public. I know a professional peel would set me back for weeks at a time.

I just wanted to suggest to you to try the Obagi NuDerm products. I just started with them a month ago and I promise you, most of my sunspots have faded, my skin is so smooth and I have even noticed that I will need to move further down on my chest because there is a definite difference between the condition of the skin on my neck (which I have been treating with the Obagi) and on my chest where I have not been using it. I spent close to $400 on all of the NuDerm products. I was shaking when I walked out of my PS office wondering what in the hell had I just done? Another product to throw in the cosmetic closet after a few weeks?? My husband was going to give me the evil eye on this one for sure! And to boot...there are six daily steps to follow done once in the morning and once in the evening. I thought it would take me forever to get the steps right, but it's second nature to me now. You eventually use it as a maintenance program two to three times a week. For skin tone, refining pores and diminshing fine lines it has made a world of difference in my skin.

You are very young and there are different levels and strengths for each skin type. I bought it through a Plastic surgeon, but when I have to start re-ordering it, I am going to get it cheaper off of the internet. I've already found a few websites that have better prices than my PS. Also, Retin A is prescribed to be used along with the Obagi NuDerm products, so I will have to continue getting that from my doctor. It is used by mixing it with the Blender so it isn't quite as irritating. However, redness, dryness and irritation from using it, are all good signs (believe it or not) that it is reversing the damage.

Being my age I have tried everything. Obagi, by far, has been the best thing I've ever used. Please post back here to let us know what you decide about the peel. I am so afraid of them. I've seen a few peels that leave the patient with obviously different pigmentation lines of demarcation. So just be careful and tell your doctor you want to see before and afters of his/her patients. Good luck to you!
    [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

Old 11-13-2004, 06:33 AM   #5
    girlygal

girlygal HB User

Hi,
    I am really confused about these peels I went back to the plastic surgeon the other day as I am having ba on nov 20 that is why I was doing the peel I figured while I was under just get it done he said he is doing a moderate peel I now realized I did not ask what a moderate peel is so now I am even more confused I was so concerned about making sure I picked out the right breast size as I do not want to be big just fuller I forgot to ask more about the peel so I will have to call him Monday I have a feeling I am not going to go through with the peel that is scaring me more then the ba. Anyone know what a moderate peel means?

Old 11-14-2004, 07:10 AM   #6
    KIMBEE
    (female)

KIMBEE HB User

[QUOTE=Allicsirp1][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=2]Hi!

I have very fair, freckled skin. I am 47 years old and I refuse to do a blue peel knowing how sensitive my skin is to things like depilatories and also Retin A. I have also done some home remedy glycolic peels that have kept me from going out in public. I know a professional peel would set me back for weeks at a time.

I just wanted to suggest to you to try the Obagi NuDerm products. I just started with them a month ago and I promise you, most of my sunspots have faded, my skin is so smooth and I have even noticed that I will need to move further down on my chest because there is a definite difference between the condition of the skin on my neck (which I have been treating with the Obagi) and on my chest where I have not been using it. I spent close to $400 on all of the NuDerm products. I was shaking when I walked out of my PS office wondering what in the hell had I just done? Another product to throw in the cosmetic closet after a few weeks?? My husband was going to give me the evil eye on this one for sure! And to boot...there are six daily steps to follow done once in the morning and once in the evening. I thought it would take me forever to get the steps right, but it's second nature to me now. You eventually use it as a maintenance program two to three times a week. For skin tone, refining pores and diminshing fine lines it has made a world of difference in my skin.

You are very young and there are different levels and strengths for each skin type. I bought it through a Plastic surgeon, but when I have to start re-ordering it, I am going to get it cheaper off of the internet. I've already found a few websites that have better prices than my PS. Also, Retin A is prescribed to be used along with the Obagi NuDerm products, so I will have to continue getting that from my doctor. It is used by mixing it with the Blender so it isn't quite as irritating. However, redness, dryness and irritation from using it, are all good signs (believe it or not) that it is reversing the damage.

Being my age I have tried everything. Obagi, by far, has been the best thing I've ever used. Please post back here to let us know what you decide about the peel. I am so afraid of them. I've seen a few peels that leave the patient with obviously different pigmentation lines of demarcation. So just be careful and tell your doctor you want to see before and afters of his/her patients. Good luck to you!
    [/SIZE] [/COLOR][/QUOTE]
    Hello, I also tried the Obagi Nu derm and I could not handle the pain after about a week, M y face was so red and raw it made me cry to put it on. It was worse around my mouth area. Maybe I was useing too much at a time, I dont know. I was really excited about tring it I have heard wondeful things about it. I would like to try again but am a little nervous, I also could not go out in public while using it, I looked like a snake! Do you have any suggestions? Did you have to stay indoors the entire time you started? Any advice is appreciated.

Old 11-14-2004, 12:00 PM   #7
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

STOP!! Don't do it!! I read a post from someone who suggested flax oil daily to improve your skin. She said you have to get the fresh oil in a bottle, keep it in the fridge, and drink one tablespoon per day. In a few months (3-6) she had skin like a teenager. It got rid of age spots & freckles. That's what I'M trying.

That peel sounds scary, especially if you know you have sensitive skin. Unless you have active skin cancer, I'd be very conservative. Your gut is telling you the right thing. Our guts are so often smarter than our doctors; if we'd only listen to them more often.

Old 12-21-2004, 04:43 PM   #8
    jlh9s

jlh9s HB User

Thanks for the advice on the Obagi product line. I am definitely trying them. I went ahead and decided to take the plunge on the blue peel. Apparently, there is almost always SOME sort of demarcation line, but a skilled dermatalogist will make sure that she "blends" it in and feathers and softens so that it will not be noticeable to anyone other than you (and that would be you looking at it really hard).

I just had it done today. I took a Claritin before going in hopes of warding off any crazy allergy symptoms, and I will take a Benadryl (only take that instead when you can afford to get drowsy, e.g. not driving yourself to/from) tonight along with a Motrin for swelling. So far, I am very optimistic. I did forgot to take the two Motrin or Tylenol before the peel, and that was a mistake. Definitely remember to take your painkillers before, because it was painful!

I only had two layers done, and really only a layer and a half according to my dermatologist. Given my crazy swelling last time with laser, I told her I'd rather do two treatments than try to go too deep on one treatment. I'm back home now. The whole procedure took about 45 minutes. It is now just feeling pretty raw, and my face looks like I have a really bad sunburn with a tinge of blue (one of my home remodeling guys was furious because he first thought someone had hit me!). I expect the remaining blue to go away tonight or tomorrow with some cleanser. So far, my face is not swollen at all, and I feel and look much better than I had expected.

I should be peeling in another day or two and then that should end about 5 days or so later. I will let you all know the results!

Old 12-22-2004, 01:56 PM   #9
    jlh9s

jlh9s HB User

Ok, it's day two and I'm feeling great. Definitely not the reaction that I feared. There is no pain. I am staying out of the sun and I am still taking a once a day Claritin just in case, but so far, no peeling. It feels like my face skin is tight and sunburned (not a bad sunburn, but it is slightly warm to the touch). Tomorrow should be the first day that it starts peeling, so I will let you all know the progress. I still have a blue tinge. It looks like I've been doing weird face painting or something and couldn't get it all off, but I've been eating out in public, etc. and no one's looked horrified or anything.

Closed Thread