It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board

• small bumps, please help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2005, 02:44 PM   #1
    Ruffian29
    (female)

Ruffian29 HB User
    Exclamation small bumps, please help!

For the past two or so years, i've had small bumps show up on my hands, usually on the sides by my thumb or under my little finger, but sometimes they are on the bottom of the palm (a bit above my wrist) or on my fingers, never on the back.
    They are really tiny, usually skin colored, I can't tell if they are fluid filled or not. The first time they appeard i thought that i was getting posion ivy but they didn't itch, they go away w/in a week (usually) and then come back later... usually at least a month, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. They dont usually itch, cept for this last "outbreak" that does itch and is taking longer to go away. Since they are itchy i've been scratching them and now they are like dry and flaky / pealing a little but they dont hurt.
    Anyways, they are usually skin colored, maybe tinted yellow or white, and i had previously decided to do nothing about them cause they don't usually itch and they go away on their own, but since this time it itches and is taking longer to go away i decided to try and see what they are.
    Its hard to schedule a dermatologist apt for them because they'll go away so quickly and are unpredictable. I have asked a dermatologist about them when i was in for something else, but they wern't present there and she said that it is probably eczema- but i've looked that up and it doesn't seem the same.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2005, 04:20 PM   #2
    feretgrl12

feretgrl12 HB User
    Re: small bumps, please help!

Omy, I have had the same problem before, not recently, like a year or something, im not sure why i would get them too, i thought it had something to do with stress, or holding my turanatula, since they have small hairs i though they would get in my skin and cause irritation. Mine would itch like crazy, especially in the morning grrr. then i would poke them with a safety pin and clear liquid would come out. i guess they are blisters.... or something. wierd huh? then they would dry out and become flaky or something...

Old 04-08-2005, 07:21 AM   #3
    Ruffian29
    (female)

Ruffian29 HB User

ok well i dont have any spiders lol and i can't imagine that it would be a good idea to pop them...
    They dont usually itch, except for this time, and its not all that bad - it only itches a lot if i start to scratch it, which just makes it worse.

Any ideas on what this could be??

Old 04-08-2005, 10:53 AM   #4
    ScruffyGuy
    Inactive
    (male)

ScruffyGuy HB User

Do note that you MUST get a professional diagnosis here.

But since you are seeking at least an opinion and that such an opinion may help relax you about the condition...

Sounds an awful lot like common fungus. Lots of people have this. It's nothing to worry about, though admittedly it is bothersome.

These fluid-filled (or not) blisters that appear just below the surface (on palms) of skin or just above the surface (usually between the fingers) can sometimes itch, sometimes just, not just like you said. They are commonly found on hands and feet.

Fungus is tenacious -- it doesn't go away for long. But it can also sometimes stick around for several years and then just... vanish. At least THIS type of fungus can. That's without treatment. With treatment -- you might get it to go away much sooner -- or at least get a lengthy remission.

Keep your hands as DRY as possible. Exposure to some sunlight in the summer months might help. But the heat and humidity of being outdoors can make it hard to keep the skin dry. Using tons of powder is not a good idea -- it won't do much for this problem.

You can try an over-the-counter fungal cream, like Tinactin or something similar. You MUST use it AS DIRECTED -- FAITHFULLY. Also, you must KEEP using it for AT LEAST two weeks or more AFTER the little blisters have gone away. This is the point when most people stop using their anti-fungal cream and then wonder why the fungus returns soon after.

Better yet -- a prescription anti-fungal cream will work even better, but the same rules apply -- you have to keep on using it even after visible symptoms are gone.

Scratching the itch makes it worse. Breaking the blisters and spreading the fluid around will spread the infection.

Keep hands clean and dry. You may even wish to use a blow dryer on them. If you put your hands in water often for work or home-life... this is going to make it harder to get rid of. Fungus loves moisture. Try to take that away from it!

You can try the anti-fungal over-the-counter cream and see if you get results. If you do -- then you DID have a fungal infection. If you do NOT -- you have something else and need to seek a doc's advice. Yet even if you DO get relief from an OTC product -- it would be wise to talk to a doc about this anyway.

And these types of fungal infections have nothing to do with being "dirty." Fungi are everywhere -- humans are often the hosts for them. But people can fight back...

Old 04-08-2005, 03:31 PM   #5
    Ruffian29
    (female)

Ruffian29 HB User

If i get an OTC cream, should I use it only in the spot that it is present in now? or should i use it over a larger area, since it seems to show up all on the sides of my hands but now it is isolated to a small area?

What you said sounds about right...
    The only other thing i had to add is I thought that it could be a form of granuloma annulare, which i have, i had a large spot on my ankle- nothing like these little bumps, but I heard that that can show up in different forms also. BUT, that also took treatment to go away, it woudn't go away on its own, and these do. But that was just a thought.

Thank you so much for your advise

Closed Thread