It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board

• Mole removal....is this normal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-06-2005, 06:41 PM   #1
    dorri
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
    Mole removal....is this normal?

For two weeks now, I've been applying the baking soda and cold pressed castor oil on the mole on my neck. At first it loosened up and became dangley. Now it is has engorged and looks like a nipple that sticks out. The problem is, it's starting to bleed and itch, is this normal? Does anyone know how long I should apply the paste for?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2005, 09:01 PM   #2
    grapeape789
    (female)

grapeape789 HB User
    Re: Mole removal....is this normal?

I hope you have had that looked at to make sure that it's not a cancerous mole or one that is suspicious and to be kept an eye on. Even if you remove the surface of that mole and can't see it, those cells are still there under the surface and most likely it will grow back anyway.If you haven't check with your derm. Be careful.

Old 05-06-2005, 09:08 PM   #3
    dorri
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for the reply. I've had this mole all my life and yes, I had it checked out by a doctor who said it's a normal mole. Well, right now, it doesn't look very normal.

Old 05-08-2005, 07:59 PM   #4
    dorri
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The bleeding has stopped. I started to use peroxide on it, instead of rubbing alcohol. Half of it turned white. Peroxide stings more, so I'm wondering if I should go back to the rubbing alcohol? It seemed looser before, now it seems somewhat smaller but is hard. It doesn't appear like it has started to detach.
    I'm having trouble with the new bandages I bought. They have too much adhesive and are irritating to the skin on my neck, leaving behind a line of glue. When I rub to get the adhesive off, it's irritating my skin even more. It's now 16 days and I'm beginning to wonder if this mole will ever fall off ??? Will keep you posted.

Last edited by dorri; 05-08-2005 at 08:07 PM.

Old 05-09-2005, 10:17 AM   #5
    Takara
    Inactive

Takara HB User

Why not just have your derm remove it? It takes about 5 seconds..

Old 05-09-2005, 05:12 PM   #6
    dorri
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

My doctor told me that normal moles fall under cosmetic surgery, (unless they are suspicious or of other concers), so it would not be covered under my insurance. My son had 2 removed a couple of years ago because they were on the collar line and were constantly irritated, but this removal left terrible scar tissue.

Is anyone else trying the castor oil and baking soda method? Is it working for you?

Old 05-09-2005, 07:41 PM   #7
    Gutter9
    (male)

Gutter9 HB User

I tryed the castor oil and baking soda method for about 7 weeks it didnt work for me...ive also tryed the garlic method for about 4 weeks with nothing, though the mole does look a bit lighter.

Old 05-09-2005, 08:26 PM   #8
    dorri
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Did your mole show any reaction like engorging, redness, bleeding or blistering, during those 7 weeks? I've experienced all of the above but now it seems like it tamed down somewhat, but now the skin around the mole is very irritated and looks worse than the mole. I kept the bandage off today and applied antibiotic ointment on the mole and surrounding skin.
    Did you wait before you switched from castor oil/baking soda paste to the garlic method?

Old 05-12-2005, 08:55 PM   #9
    dorri
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

A progress report. It is now 3 weeks and the mole is half the size that it was, maybe even more but I can't tell exactly because there is still a scab on it. I have red irritation on the skin surrounding it. Anyone know what I can use on this area without deterring removing the rest of the mole, as I am still using the castor oil and baking soda paste?

Old 05-13-2005, 10:23 AM   #10
    Tater Tot

Tater Tot HB User

Hi dorri...keeping the area clean is definitely the best thing! I wouldn't suggest adding ointment on the actual scabbed mole part...just on surrounding skin. Use that ointment on the surrounding skin or also vaseline or vit e gel from the capsule are what I have used. Sometimes depending on the mole size (I presume) that this method doesn't always get the full mole which is common...and gets parts of the mole or layers of it therefore making it smaller in some way. Once that happens commonly people quit because their irritated over all the work they've done and the mole still hasn't fully gone. I think you may have to go through the process a cple times. I definitely think you should give it a break and let that ugly scab fully form and fall off with no help from you. Keep it clean and add something to the skin around it. I'm pretty sure you'll notice a change in the mole but it won't be gone. Once the scab has fallen off...and you're ready...you'll need to start the process again.
    I've done this process...and through this, my moles are flat and almost skin coloured now and have not raised back up. Mine went through everything you describe! Not pretty at all! But I'm happy with the results and best of all... I had no scarring.
    Best of luck!

Old 05-13-2005, 10:44 AM   #11
    dorri
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tater, thank you so much for the reply. You say to leave it and let the scab fall off, won't this interfere with the process? I've been putting antibiotic ointment on the surrounding areas but it seems to fall into the mole, so I am constantly dabbing around it with a Q-tip to get it off. I'm so glad you wrote, as I been pretty much going it alone with all these weird phases. I'll take a break and see if the scab falls off. Thanks.

Old 05-13-2005, 01:55 PM   #12
    Tater Tot

Tater Tot HB User

Hi dorri...I know what you're saying about interfering with the process but when it starts to scab it's difficult for the castor oil/baking soda to penetrate the scab and get to the mole as it is. I suggested to stop and let it finish scabbing because you've been doing this for quite some time now. The whole process is like 'sluffing' off the layers or parts of the mole, so that eventually with repeated trials...you should get much of the mole. Part of the mole dries up as well with the scabbing process which is why you don't want to pick at the scab. Keep the scabbed mole clean and continue to treat the skin around it as best you can. You can only do what you can do...when the scab falls off then apply vit e or ointment to all of it. I'm not an expert...but I think with the length of time you've been doing this...it's just time for you to let it dry up and hopefully OFF.

Old 05-13-2005, 03:08 PM   #13
    dorri
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks, it makes good sense. I'll let it dry up for now! I will let you know in a few days how it's doing.

Old 05-17-2005, 11:42 AM   #14
    dorri
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well gals and guys. My mole fell off today, at 3 weeks, 5 days. LoL, I wonder if I should keep it as a shrunken souvenir. The area where it used to be, is almost level with the skin, with a very slight raised spot. Don't know if it's because it's so fresh, or if it's scar tissue, or some irritation as it is red and itchy right now. Well so far, it does look like the castor oil/baking soda method did work for me. This mole was on my neck, and was close to that of a pencil eraser head. I had it all my life. It was a long haul going through this method. There were times, I have to admit I was very scared, because of the changes this mole went through as I applied the paste. I was ready to give up more than once, but somehow hung in there. I would be cautious removing a larger mole from the face with this method, because of the frighterning stages it does go through, and the general look of the mole, as in my case engorged and stuck out like a nipple, before it actually started shrinking.

Old 05-17-2005, 12:12 PM   #15
    Tater Tot

Tater Tot HB User

Yay! Congrats you've shrunk your mole! Let's hope it stays away! The 1 of 2 I did with this method WAS on my face...so I've been through the same torture too in a HUGE VISIBLE way! Cheers!

Closed Thread