It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board

• mole excision VERY soon - help please?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2005, 11:01 AM   #1
    FearfuL
    (female)

FearfuL HB User
    mole excision VERY soon - help please? maybe share your experiences?

ScruffyGuy seems to be knowledgeable in this area, but anyone who's had any sort of experience with moles, stitches or surgery of this type can help me out, please.

I'm having a mole excised (fully removed) soon. Can someone bring me through the process? I know they numb you up and get the scalpel out to cut you open. Is the pain mild during the procedure? Also, I've actually never had stitches before ('cept in the mouth after wisdom teeth removal), are those bothersome? The area is sort of on the hip/borderline butt area.

Are there any complications with this sort of minor surgery? Also, can anyone tell me how the healing process is as well? You know, is there swelling to be expected or pain? Thanks!

Last edited by FearfuL; 05-23-2005 at 11:17 AM. Reason: more details

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2005, 12:19 PM   #2
    ScruffyGuy
    Inactive
    (male)

ScruffyGuy HB User
    Re: mole excision VERY soon - help please?

Funny... I clicked here and you mentioned my name! Cool...

Your questions are a bit difficult to answer with any sort of precision because the responses change a bit depending on the size of the mole to be removed. But let's take it a step at a time...

You will feel NOTHING except the initial sting of the local anesthetic. Two seconds of MILD discomfort at most. That's it. During the surgery, you will feel some pressure and some tugging sensations. Otherwise... nothing at all. So rest easy there.

The doc will make a football shaped incision around the mole, twice as long as the mole is wide. The mole will be removed, probably scraped with a curette, then the two sides of the incision will be stitched up. You'll feel most of the sensation of pressure and tugging when the doc uses the curette and does the sutures. This is NOT pain -- it's just SENSATION. You know SOMETHING is going on, but you don't FEEL it.

The doc will probably swab the area with antiseptic when he's done and put a light dressing over it. He will give you after-care instructions which probably will just say to avoid showering for twenty-four hours and then to just wash the area normally, keep it dry and maybe apply a thin coat of antibacterial gel over it (but maybe not). If the area is very large, the doc may say to keep it bandaged for a few days. If not, he may tell you that bandaging the area is optional and your choice.

In about an hour after the procedure, when the anesthetic wears off, you'll feel some tingling at first. Then a LITTLE bit of discomfort. You'll know the area has been worked on. It isn't any sort of horrible pain at all. Just a little throbbing reminder of the recent surgery. This will probably last no more than a few hours.

It should be smooth sailing from there on out.

Stitches can itch as they heal -- this is normal. Just LIGHTLY press on the area to relieve itching -- do not rub or scrape, obviously.

There will probably be some very, very minor swelling around the immediate area as the tissues knit together again. This is normal and expected and a natural part of the healing process.

A SMALL amount of clearish fluid or a few bits of dried blood is normal, too. Don't worry -- just shower when you can and keep it clean. It will NOT ooze or drain -- it should heal like any minor cut.

If you notice redness, streaking of color from the area, or cloudy, white or yellow liquid -- this is a sign of infection that needs to be reported to the doc immediately.

Therein lies about the ONLY concern I can think of with mole excision -- the complication of post-op infection. This would be EXTREMELY rare, though. There is no good reason for a tiny incision to get infected. Keep it clean, use the antibiotic ointment if the doc says to -- you'll be fine.

This is the part of your question that I had trouble answering because just generally speaking... the larger the area, the higher the risk for infection. Not knowing the size... it was hard to calculate the risk. But heck, even knowing the size... still pretty hard to determine the risk!

Fact of the matter is... the risk is VERY, VERY small indeed.

Healing should be complete in a week or two, again -- depending on the size of the incision.

You will have a faint scar. It may look worse at first when the stitches come out -- it will fade gradually over time. So don't panic. The end result should be a very fine line where the mole used to be.

So don't worry -- this is an EASY procedure to deal with. Having your teeth cleaned if often more uncomfortable!

Hope this helps -- do stop back and let me know how it went, OK?

Old 05-24-2005, 06:52 AM   #3
    FearfuL
    (female)

FearfuL HB User

Wow, awesome, I'm glad you opened this thread. I knew you may be able to help!

The mole itself was actually originally biopsied. Came back mildly dysplastic. Doc said it's fine and nothing more needs to be done, then sent me on my way. But I didn't really like that idea since it was just 'scooped' out and didn't get the whole thing. So I'm going ahead and getting it excised. I'm assuming this detail doesn't change the procedure you mentioned.

The mole was probably 4-5mm in diameter. The biopsy area is slightly larger, so I'd say 6mm now, which is what they'll cut around. Is that considered large?

Thanks again! I'll be back later this week to give an update.

Old 05-25-2005, 12:06 PM   #4
    ScruffyGuy
    Inactive
    (male)

ScruffyGuy HB User

Nah, shouldn't change the procedure at all!

Size-wise... perhaps a tiny bit on the larger side, but nothing extreme.

No worries!

Will await your final response to see how things go!

Best of luck to you.

Old 05-25-2005, 09:41 PM   #5
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

[QUOTE=FearfuL]The mole itself was actually originally biopsied. Came back mildly dysplastic. Doc said it's fine and nothing more needs to be done, then sent me on my way. But I didn't really like that idea since it was just 'scooped' out and didn't get the whole thing. So I'm going ahead and getting it excised. I'm assuming this detail doesn't change the procedure you mentioned. [/QUOTE]
    [B]
    Wise choice.[/B] You have to be careful with moles. It could have remained mildly dysplastic for years, but sometimes irritation (like biopsies, sun damage, scraping, etc.) can trigger a more dangerous response. If you're going to cut into a mole, you need to get the whole thing. That's what I've always heard anyway, and what I still believe.

Old 05-26-2005, 09:25 AM   #6
    xJennx
    (female)

xJennx HB User

Im having a mole on my torso removed in 2 weeks and Im really scared, Ive got my lip pierced and the doc said it would hurt no more than that but Im still really nervous about it, Im not too worried about the injection but I am worried about the actual cutting it out part.[B] {removed}[/B]

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 05-26-2005 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Please make a seperate post for your question.

Old 05-26-2005, 02:54 PM   #7
    Sustasha
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sustasha HB User
    Cool Re: mole excision VERY soon - help please?

Stitches?? Are you sure? I"ve had many moles removed but never had stitches. Even had a basal cell carcinoma scraped out with no st.
    I felt the shot but that's it. I had one on my neck. The doctor sprayed an anesthetic on it then sheared it off with a razorblade; never felt a thing!
    Honest! My carcinoma was oozing, bloody and black. He scraped it out; nothing to it. I think he was surprised it was benign; this was 19 years ago!
    Don't worry; it's really nothing. I'd rather have six moles removed than have one tooth drilled.

Old 05-27-2005, 01:43 PM   #8
    ScruffyGuy
    Inactive
    (male)

ScruffyGuy HB User

Mole scrapings, as Susan described, don't generally get stitches unless there is some unexpected bleeding that won't stop after the procedure. Mole EXCISIONS are different and DO require a few small stitches.

Old 05-29-2005, 08:17 AM   #9
    FearfuL
    (female)

FearfuL HB User

Ok, I'm back with a little update. First of all, thanks everyone for your responses!

kerry1, good thing this doc thought it was reasonable to take out if I wanted. My other doc was kinda lax about it. You said that biopsies etc. could trigger a more serious response - you don't think the few weeks I waited to have this taken out would be enough time to do that, do you? Also, I had another mole biopsied but that one came back completely benign, so I haven't had it fully excised. What do you think about that? Is your belief only with dysplastics?

ScuffyGuy, thanks again for the info you offered! I had internal stitches. Yikes. I stupidly looked it up on the net and every story is about someone's internal stitches being infected or popping, lol. I also read that one can fail to dissolve and work its way up through the scar months or years later. I'm sure the people who have had fine experiences don't post about it on the internet for all to see though. The internal ones are supposed to dissolve on their own - but do you know anything more about them? Like how long it would take or how I would know they are fully dissolved? Thanks!

Jenn - are they cutting it out completely (with stitches) or just scooping it out?

Old 05-29-2005, 08:30 AM   #10
    xJennx
    (female)

xJennx HB User

im really not sure! I have no idea what there going to do, whats the diffrence? is one more painful?

Old 05-29-2005, 10:51 AM   #11
    ScruffyGuy
    Inactive
    (male)

ScruffyGuy HB User

You're correct, Fearful -- as a general rule of thumb, when looking up medical info online, usually the problematic issues are more commonly discussed. Folks who have good results and no problems have little need to ask questions!

Internal stitches for a mole removal are obviously going to be very close to the surface of the skin by nature. Infection, in the rare case that it would occur, would be noticed right away and easily dealt with.

Stitches that don't dissolve as they are supposed to are rare. I wouldn't even give it a thought if I were you. Were that to be an issue, the doc would be able to tell (and you might, too). The area would not be healing properly or you'd see hints of the migration of the stitch to the surface, like you mentioned.

These are really not issues worth much consideration. Best advice to you... stop reading about "what if" scenarios online. You seem like a very practical, reasonable person -- but maybe you are getting too many creepy images in your head from your research! This is common -- happens all the time to many folks.

Trust me -- this is an EASY procedure and complications are very rare. Complications that DO occur are almost always easily treated, too.

ALL surgery has risks -- no avoiding that. But MOST surgeries go off without a hitch and patients recover as expected.

As long as you have no health issues that could complicate healing (like diabetes), you'll be fine -- I'm quite sure of it!

After the procedure, take care of yourself -- eat properly, drink lots of water and stay hydrated, keep the area clean as instructed by the doc. Probably the first day you'll be told not to do any heavy lifting or not to let the area dangle, etc. Probably you'll be advised not to use any topical makeup or creams or lotions other than what might be prescribed, like antibiotic gels, etc. The after-care is EASY.

Best to you...

Old 06-08-2005, 12:04 PM   #12
    FearfuL
    (female)

FearfuL HB User

Hey! It's me again lol. Thanks for ALL your help, ScruffyGuy. Things went fine with the aftercare.

I just got the stitches removed today.

I had a couple of clear strips placed over the area and was told they will come off on their own. The only post-removal care I was told was to let the strips come off on their own and continue the antibiotic ointment for one more week, then I'm done.

When I got home, I noticed blood under the clear strips. Any idea if this is normal when stitches are removed? (woman who picks up the phone at the office said yes, but I have no idea her where she got that answer). I mean, I guess there'd be little holes where the stitches were removed. But if I'm to leave the strips on, the blood is trapped underneath them. I'm not sure if that would form a scab. Thanks for anything you can share with me! Give it your best shot. And sorry for all the inquiries for such a little thing. At least with this first experience, I'll know for next time if there is a next time lol.

Jenn - did you have the procedure done yet? One doesn't necessarily hurt more than the other because they numb you up either way. But the excision will require stitches. Are you getting a biopsy or is it this for cosmetic removal?

Last edited by FearfuL; 06-08-2005 at 02:16 PM.

Old 06-08-2005, 01:54 PM   #13
    xJennx
    (female)

xJennx HB User

Im getting mine removed tomoro! im a bit nervous Im getting is removed for cosmetic reasons, I am quite nervous about feeling pain because Ive never had anesthetic before but Im hoping it works and I dont feel anything just the sting of the injection, Il let you know how it goes!

Old 06-09-2005, 05:28 AM   #14
    xJennx
    (female)

xJennx HB User

Hi I had it done today! anyone who is thinking about getting a mole removed dont worry because it didnt hurt at all, I hardly even felt the injection as I was just talking the whole way through, its a bout an hour later and its beginign to throb a bit now and its probably gonna get worse but at least the evil mole has gone

Closed Thread