It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board

• Keratosis Pilaris problem

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
    SparkMan
    (male)

SparkMan HB User
    Keratosis Pilaris problem

Hello, I've had Keratosis Pilaris for some time now and I've been to a couple of dermatologists and they said theres not much they can do for me. I have it on my chest and on the sides of my arms, and I even have a bit of a rash on the sides of my face and the dermatologist said its because of Keratosis Pilaris. I was wondering if anyone else had this skin condition and found ways to treat it? If so please help me, thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2005, 12:08 PM   #2
    Tauri79
    (female)

Tauri79 HB User
    Re: Keratosis Pilaris problem

SparkMan,

Sadly my boss would say the same as you've already been told. Unfortunately there isn't much that will help to 'cure' this condition, which I imagine is frustrating.

The usual recommendations are regular moisturising and sometimes, hot baths or exfoliating (if you can tolerate it).

Sometimes, in extreme cases, antibiotics can be given.

The good news is that the condition normally disappears of it's own accord and is perfectly benign, the bad news is it can take years.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, best of luck

Old 10-24-2005, 03:44 PM   #3
    SparkMan
    (male)

SparkMan HB User

Thanks for your reply, yeah i've tried antibiotics and accutane and neither helped, I guess i'll just wish for the best.

Old 11-28-2005, 02:45 AM   #4
    yourspecialmiss
    (female)

yourspecialmiss HB User

[QUOTE=SparkMan]Thanks for your reply, yeah i've tried antibiotics and accutane and neither helped, I guess i'll just wish for the best.[/QUOTE]
    Sparkman, have you tried MSM? That may help you a bit.
    Also, my little sister has it and manages to reduce the symptoms by having a hot steamy bath and then shaving that area with a razor. She also exfoliates on a regular basis. She hasn't tried the MSM because she can't committ to any supplements.LOL but I think you might want to give it a shot.

Old 12-13-2005, 04:45 AM   #5
    Unknown3r

Unknown3r HB User

[QUOTE=SparkMan]Hello, I've had Keratosis Pilaris for some time now and I've been to a couple of dermatologists and they said theres not much they can do for me. I have it on my chest and on the sides of my arms, and I even have a bit of a rash on the sides of my face and the dermatologist said its because of Keratosis Pilaris. I was wondering if anyone else had this skin condition and found ways to treat it? If so please help me, thank you.[/QUOTE]
    I've got everything you have just listed. On the chest, arms everywhere, but unfortunately he said this is a condition which you are suppose to grow out off.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
    SweetAmy87
    (female)

SweetAmy87 HB User

I know this is an old post, but what is MSM? does anyone know?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    _-*~!ŚMy!~*-_
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:08 PM   #7
    Skinamarinka
    (female)

Skinamarinka HB User

MSM is a supplement. You can do a search for MSM on Google and you will get tons of info. I heard it is good for skin, hair and nails too. My dermatologist said that Keratosis Pilaris is a mild form of eczema.
    I've also heard that KP can also be a form of vitamin A deficiency. May be worth a try with the MSM. Keep in mind that vitamin A can be toxic at large doses.

Last edited by Skinamarinka; 02-26-2007 at 05:02 PM.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:17 PM   #8
    SweetAmy87
    (female)

SweetAmy87 HB User

Can you buy MSM in a store?

_-*~!ŚMy!~*-_

Old 02-26-2007, 10:17 PM   #9
    Skinamarinka
    (female)

Skinamarinka HB User

Yes, you can buy MSM in health food stores. Ask for it by name and the clerk will help you find it.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:13 AM   #10
    Maggipie
    (female)

Maggipie HB User

[B]I've had this problem my entire life, it's on my arms, face, legs. I find that sweating helps, it cleans out those pores that are having the problem. I've always wanted nice skin and will still hoping to out grow this problem eventually. That's the only advice I can give, it works for me. [/B]

Old 03-05-2007, 04:35 PM   #11
    fire87
    (female)

fire87 HB User

Have you tried using Kp duty? I'm not sure if it works but it is for kp and it's not too expensive.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:35 AM   #12
    zak7
    (female)

zak7 HB User

I have KP on my upper arms, and it is so frustrating because I have nice skin elsewhere. I am trying Retin-A to see if that helps. I am also trying hot baths. I wish there was a cure for this irritating benign condition.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:35 AM   #13
    sqeeks
    (female)

sqeeks HB User
    Smile Re: Keratosis Pilaris problem

Hi I am a new member but I wanted to tell you that I have had this my whole life. I have done the whole dermatalogy thing and it has never gotten any better. I do have some good news though, I had somesome suggest to me that I try a lotion called Amalactin. You can buy it at walgreens and fredmeyers, its under $20:00 which is very nice. I started using it a couple of months ago right after I get out of the shower. I have to say that it works great, it didnt go away 100% but my arms are now smooth to the touch and not red and bumpy looking and I can finally feel good in tank tops. I wold like to know if you decide to try it and if it works for you. good luck

Old 12-05-2007, 01:48 PM   #14
    legallyblonde2
    (female)

legallyblonde2 HB User

Glytone makes an exfoliating body wash and a lotion which my dermatologist game me for my KP, and it magically got rid of it. Definitely try that.

Closed Thread