It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board

• seborrheic dermatitis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2006, 11:31 AM   #1
    missingyou
    Inactive
    (male)

missingyou HB Usermissingyou HB User
    seborrheic dermatitis

ok so i finally figured out this is whats causing the burning in my upper lip area. I got antibiotics a few days ago so hopefully i see some inprovement in the next little while.

Now every day or two at the most my lower lip gets these yellowish flakey crusts that are just gross, should i peel them off or just leave them?
    The flakey things arent part of my lip skin as they dont bleed at all and come off very easily. Lately ive been trying to leave them on as long as possible thinking that it might help it heal better.

I hate having this condition and especially on my lips couldnt think of a worse place to have it. I have dealt with seborrheic dermatitis around my nose for years(only some pinkness/light redness and only mild irritation compared to what my lips feel like) and it was something i just accepted but this lip dermatitis is driving me crazy. just needed to vent a bit thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2006, 03:14 PM   #2
    fairycake
    (female)

fairycake HB User
    Re: seborrheic dermatitis

Antibiotics are the worst thing you could take for seborrheic dermatitis. They kill the good bacteria needed to keep yeast fungus under control - seborrheic dermatitis is a yeast infection. It was a long-term course of antibiotics that actually caused my seborrheic dermatitis. Taking antibiotics therefore will only make the condition worse and you need to stop taking them immediately.

I suggest applying apple cider vinegar (a strong antiseptic) twice a day to the affected areas until it has calmed down and then for about a week afterwards - this always helps mine tremendously. You could probably continue to use acv every day, I just choose not too because I'm worried that my skin will get used to it and it will stop being so effective. Taking flaxseed oil has also helped prevent bad flare-ups and applying a little jojoba oil twice a day also works well for me. I'm currently experimenting with probiotics too since I obviously need more good bacteria in my system.

The yellowish crusts mean it's infected - this is probably why you were prescribed antibiotics however the apple cider vinegar will clear this up without killing any good bacteria. You probably shouldn't peel the crusts off in case you make the infection worse.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 02-15-2006, 12:30 PM   #3
    Interested999
    (female)

Interested999 HB User

i also have sebhorric dermatitis. i have been diagnosed with it for 2 years. no matter what i do, it wont go away. i was perscribed loprox shampoo, but it didnt work. nothing works. i hate it. its itchy and it sucks. i also have egsima. i get egsima all over my body whenever my head breaks out. doctors cant help me, but i really need some help over here.

Old 02-17-2006, 08:47 AM   #4
    neddy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

neddy HB User

I agree, the antibiotics are the worse thing you can take for it. I'm using a zinc shampoo (putting it everywhere I need to) and I'm also eating tons of yogurt and taking probiotics. I have it now to where it is manageable. I still have it but it is manageable. Hopefully when the weather warms up it will go away like when I had it years ago.

Old 02-20-2006, 02:02 AM   #5
    Princess256
    (female)

Princess256 HB User

Hello:

My derm. said I have Eczema on my scalp and gave me medicated shampoo and some cream. But, they are taking their time working. It is awful

I am going to try the vinegar; and yogurt. I really need help. I have been to two derms.

Alice

Closed Thread