It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board

• Problem with Seborrheic Dermatitis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-28-2006, 07:33 AM   #1
    Ontarian

Ontarian HB User
    Problem with Seborrheic Dermatitis

I was diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis 5 years ago (in 2001). I noticed some changes on my face, as it suddenly got little redder (pinkish in some areas) than it used to be. Well, for 5 years the problem was very, very mild. In the summer I would even forget I had seborrheic dermatitis or any such thing on my face.

Suddenly, 2 weeks ago, my dermatitis came back (stronger than ever) and I am scared to death. I suffer from anxiety; temperatures here in Canada have been varying (from around 0 C to -30 C) and I've been walking in this cold weather a lot. Also, in my house + my place of work, the heater is constantly turned on, so my face always feels extremely dry and itchy. Also, I was just in the process of hooking up with a great girl when this thing happened (extra anxiety added).

The problem is: My dermatitis does not seem to be contained in the area where it used to be for 5 years. It used to be around my nose (pinkish colour) and a small patch on the right cheek (very tolerable). Now, I've got some pimple-like features on both my cheeks. Actually, they used to look like pimples, but now they have "morphed" into pink blotches on my face (the area that used to be naturally white and not affected with SD at all). At the beginning, I thought they were just regular pimples that would just go away, but now, I am terrified that these patches will stay here forever.

One thing I don't understand about SD is: Once it "spreads", does it forever stay in that area? I mean, should I expect to have SD in the area of these current patches forever, since now it seems that that area is affected. Or, is it more of a random thing - patches come and go wherever and whenever they please? In other words, do areas once affected by seborrheic dermatitis remain affected forever?

Maybe I worry too much, and the worry is terribly increased by the possibility of dating this great girl. She will certainly notice that something is wrong with my face.

My dermatologist cannot see me before August (Canadian health system sucks) and I don't have anything to treat it. If anyone has any advice for me, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Last edited by Ontarian; 02-28-2006 at 07:36 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2006, 11:12 AM   #2
    missingyou
    Inactive
    (male)

missingyou HB Usermissingyou HB User
    Re: Problem with Seborrheic Dermatitis

I have a quite similiar situation to yours was diagnosed with SD about 6 years ago with symptoms of pinkness around my nose. a few months ago i got dermatitis around my upper lip which was nasty looking and painful as well, it has mostly gone away with antibiotics, and Apple cider vinegar. You can try the ACV its an antiseptic.

I know how you feel i've had some nice girls that are into me asking me to go out to the club, i feel like **** and dont look so great either so i have to pass. its sorta depressing.

It should come and go to some degree depending on your triggers and level of stress. IT might still be there but almost unnoticable when your not triggered.

Old 02-28-2006, 05:13 PM   #3
    Ontarian

Ontarian HB User

Thanks for your reply.

So, as far as I understand it, once it appears in a particular spot, it is there to stay (although sometimes it might not be as visible).

This is so crappy, because seb. dermatitis on my cheeks used to look like natural redness that would come and go...Now, with these pink patches on both of my upper cheeks, I am very self-conscious...It's like I have pimples that just won't go away...Crappy stuff...

I've been using Nitrogena T-GEL...Do you know of any better treatment for the face?

p.s. So far I have no dandruff or scaling on my scalp, ....My cheeks and my nose are the areas affected.

Old 02-28-2006, 07:25 PM   #4
    princess77023
    (female)

princess77023 HB User

Hello:

I have it on one palm and my scalp. It is horrible to live with. I am on meds from the Derm. but they don't really help too much. A suggestion on another board was "Apple Cider Vinegar" to kill the fungus.

I use it on my scalp daily. It seems to help dry up the area; and although it is a little smelly, it works pretty good. Just use cotton to dab it onto the skin; and you can use it as often as you like.

Good luck,
    Alice

Old 03-04-2006, 02:08 PM   #5
    Ontarian

Ontarian HB User

OK, guys, I have a date tomorrow. I am so stressed. My dermatitis is worse than ever. What do I do? Do I cancel my date? Or do I ignore my SD? I am so self-conscious...I bet all this stress is only making my SD worse...

How much apple cider vinegar should I put on my face to make the bloody thing calm down? Does it have to be mixed with water?

Does anyone know if artificial tanning can generally help seborrheic dermatitis? Or is it only going to make it worse by damaging the skin?

I remember last year, my face burnt badly in the sun - twice. Can that be the reason that my seborrheic dermatitis has since spread all over my face and looks uglier than ever?

Another thing I don't understand about this stupid thing - Is my skin too oily or too dry now? Apparently, SD means that too much oil is being produced in my oil (sebaceous) glands. On the other hand, my skin feels dry and very itchy. Doesn't that seem contradictory?

I have some hydrocortizone cream, but it doesn't seem to be helping much...

Last thing (and I am sorry to be so annoying), my eyes, especially the right one, are itching a lot. Can SD cause my eyes to itch?

Boo-hoo...I don't know what to do...

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Last edited by Ontarian; 03-04-2006 at 02:19 PM.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:06 PM   #6
    indie85
    (male)

indie85 HB User

Not sure if I had what you had but reading it, it reminds me alot of it. When I was around 12-13 I developed these patches on my cheeks, they started off as flaky skin, but developed into this deep red, dry, cracks, sometimes even bleeding, scabby areas. As you can imagine it looked absolutely horrendous, THANKFULLY my mom came up with a solution and suggested i tried this anti-sepctic tea-tree cream, applied it and i immediately noticed an improvement, altho when i stopped it came back... vicious cycle until i just dolloped the stuff on my cheeks, literally leaving like a cm layer on all night and all day for about a week. Now obviously if your doing this you wanna pick a time when you dont have to go out that often if at all. Occasionally it came back in a mild way but a retreatment of this and it went away. I found after this the only reminder would be when I had hot showers, the same patches would be red after about 20 mins, then fade to normal. After about a year though it went completely and theres no sign of me ever having it. I still keep a tub handy though just in case.
    Seriously try this, it worked for me completely. You should notice improvements within 48 hours and SPOON it on, seriously the more the better. Hope it works.

Old 03-11-2006, 05:13 PM   #7
    fairycake
    (female)

fairycake HB User

You could also try taking flaxseed oil. I have seb derm and I find that it helps prevent bad flare-ups. I also recommend the apple cider vinegar. Whatever you do, do not take antibiotics as this will only make it worse. Be careful with the hydrocortizone cream too as your skin can become addicted to it.

I know that sunlight definately helps seb derm so using a sunbed may have the same effect.

It is the excess oil that is the problem as the yeast fungus that causes seb derm thrives on the bacteria in the oil. I think it's just the flaking skin that makes it feel dry.

I also get itchy eyes sometimes, I think it may be the oil getting into my eyes.

Old 03-12-2006, 10:10 AM   #8
    Ontarian

Ontarian HB User

Thank you for your replies, guys.

I've been using apple cider vinegar deluted in water, T-Gel shampoo, hydrocortizone, and oatmeal moisturisers for a week or two now. All these things help temporarily reduce the redness/itchiness/flaking, but it all comes back within hours.

For those of you who've been dealing with this annoying condition: How long do your flare-ups and remissions last? When I was first diagnosed with SD 5 years ago, the flare-up disappeared within a month or two, and the condition was totally tolerable for 5 years (also, the area affected was much smaller). Now that my SD is back and spreading, it seems that I will never be able to put it in a remission again.

Are your flare-ups / remissions more like a day-to-day thing or do you go into long (moths, years) remissions and then unexpected flare-ups? I am trying to find something about SD patterns and "logic", but all the info I find on the Net is so generic and "basic"...

Old 03-14-2006, 07:31 AM   #9
    indie85
    (male)

indie85 HB User

Ontarian, I can say my 'flare-up' lasted a good part of a year, pretty much as soon as it cleared it came back, but then that was because most of that time was taken up by experimenting with stuff to put on it. As soon as i applied the way i described above it went in about a week and that was it, you have to put loads on though, kinda nip it in the bud. Also I found the anti-septic tea tree cream was the ONLY thing that worked, other variants actually made it worse i found, like some tea tree liquid cream just stung and dried it out. The cream was the only thing that moisturised, kept germs at bay with the anti-septic bit and the tea tree did its thing. I would link to product I used but i dont think you can do that on here unfortunately, actually now that i look at it, its got this stuff in it too- Contains antiseptic organic Tea-Tree , Manuka and Lavender pure essential oils in a blend of softening Cocoa Butter and Sesame oil. Also with antioxidant extracts of organic Arnica and Sage, the cream will cleanse, soothe and moisturise.
    Actually if you just type in Tea tree and manuka cream in google you'll see it.

Old 04-01-2006, 07:22 AM   #10
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I keep mine in control a couple ways.
    A shower every day is mandatory.
    After every shower I apply miconazole 2% cream (OTC) to the affected areas (whether red or not.) For me that means between the eyes,,,and into the eyebrows even, above my lip on both outsides and on both sides of my nose. Clotrimazone, spectinazole, and econozole don't work at all.

Once a week I rub in full strength dandruff shampoo with zinc pyrithione (also OTC) on all the affected areas...leave on 5 minutes and spray it off in a shower...it burns if you get it in your eyes.

WHen it gets red and ugly, hydrocortisone (natch, OTC ) works well but too much cortisone can give you permanent red spidery arterioles in the skin (telangiactasias...forgive the spelling). I use cortisone cream that works well works well but I use it as infrequently as I can...when it's red and ugly.

If I keep to this regimen, I can keep the red rash to a day or two a month.

Never a problem in the Summer when, I presume, the ultra violet kills the fungi/yeast as it emerges with facial hair growth.

I am convinced that the way to eliminate it is to eliminate the yeast/fungi UNDER the skin, on the hairshafts with a systemic agent. I don't think Lamisil oral will do the trick because Lamisil cream doesn't touch the stuff. I used griseoflvin years ago for something else and it don't work on the seborrheic dermatitis either.
    Tossing around Sporanox, Nizoral and Nystatin.

What I need is to get my GP interested in doing a culture, but so far he thinks all is well with my treatment plan...but who wants to do something like that FOREVER? Not me...a few years has been enough!

Has anyone tried any oral fungicides for it?

Last edited by Lenin; 04-01-2006 at 10:20 AM.

Closed Thread