It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board

• Angry, itchy, peeling palms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2007, 11:08 AM   #16
    Krazykcio
    Veteran
    (female)

Krazykcio HB User
    Re: Angry, itchy, peeling palms

Hi,
    Thank you once again for your support. I have been on Methotrexate for a few months now and my skin and scalp lesions have almost entirely cleared up! I have had a few periods of slight nauseau, and my Doc has me taking folic acid to address that problem. So, all seems to be going much better. I hope that I can stop taking the drug someday, but meanwhile I am enjoying having some relief! Thank you to all. Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2008, 04:51 AM   #17
    itchyangie
    (female)

itchyangie HB User

OMG... Me too. I have had autoimmune stuff since 16 yrs old, that was when I had ITP and nearly bleed out, but a spleenectomy was sucessful. I have only had brief flares up until 11 months ago. I have been having awful inflammatory arthritis and am on celebrex, steroids when absolutely needed, and eating pain meds. Yesterday was the first time I had experienced itchy palms and of course knowing that most of the weird things that come up with me are lupus related, I got on the net to look up itchy palms. I have had Raynauld's syndrome in the past which is related to an overreaction to temp changes but this itchy stuff is driving me crazy. And also at one time my gland biopsy slides were sent to a Doc in CA to determine if I has Kawasaki's, and I am also not to take sulfa, it causes autoimmune reaction in me, usually a flare or bleeding. I am really scared because my lupus has never been this bad and I am having new wierd things happen to me. I am having to take hot baths to soothe my inflammed knee and that seems to accelerate the itching on the palms of my hands. Benedryl does help but I am allready on so many meds that I am afraid I will go to sleep and not wake up. My husband tells me to stop scratching my hands but I can only replace scratching with rubbing. He also had me buy a power ball lottery ticket just in case the old saying was true about itchy palms bringing money. Well I am way too wordy, but seems I have alot in common with some of the other people posting. I think I will try some topical Caladryl. I'll let ya'll know if it helps. GG

Old 04-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #18
    Krazykcio
    Veteran
    (female)

Krazykcio HB User

Greetings,

I find that Eucerin calming lotion helps to stop the itching. The relief is temporary, but it really does help me when I can't stand it any longer. I hope you can find some relief.

Kathy

Old 04-07-2008, 10:23 AM   #19
    shadowfax77
    (female)

shadowfax77 HB User

I'm sure this isn't the case, but some folks are allergic to metals - and it causes these types of problems: copper (water pipes and pans) and nickel (jewelry) sensitivities. Also, cleaning and polishing compounds (like stove cleaner, enamel cleaner) can flare up skin problems in the extreme.

In addition, my family has food allergies. Removing the food that compounds the allergy can help: usually it's milk and wheat-gluten. But, some folks are allergic to soy, eggs and/or nuts and don't know it. A dermatologist can test you for these allergies and rule them out (or in).

Old 04-08-2008, 09:00 AM   #20
    Krazykcio
    Veteran
    (female)

Krazykcio HB User

In my case I had been tested and tested for allergies. I wore rubber or white cotton gloves and did not touch anything for over 9 months. I only used unscented soap that the dermatologist prescribed and even tried using olive oil to moisturize. All to no avail. After a month or so of taking methotrexate I began to see the skin on my hands and scalp improve. Within a few more months my fingernails began to grow in without the ridges and pits. My joint pain lessened and I felt better overall. All this after suffering for years.

I'm sure that there are many allergies that can contribute to skin problems. I wish that had been the case with me, but I'm just thankful that I have finally found relief.

***Just a side note....my Doc tried to decrease my Methotrexate dose. Unfortunately, after a few months I was beginning to go downhill again. He reminded me that it had taken a few months to build up in my system to the point that I found relief, which is why it took so long for the problems to resurface. I'm on the mend now that I am back on the right dose for me.

Closed Thread