It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board

• Dermagraphism

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-19-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
    jessica805
    (female)

jessica805 HB User
    Dermagraphism

I've always been very healthy... had allergic reaction to pollen...but never thought I had any allergies to food. I woke up last Tuesday being very itchy... it started out with my head, arms, neck, shoulders then back to my head. It just kept going. I went to my doctor, and he tested for my general health and everything was normal. So we decided to test to see if I have any allergies to a few things that I ate over the weekend.

We tested for crab, shrimp and peanuts. I have a feeling I might be allergic to crab. Everytime I ate crab, my body usually tensed up, then my whole body got tingly then sort of stung a bit. My mom also got this way, so I didn't think anything of it. I had crab & shrimp on Saturday.. .and my symptoms started happening on Tuesday.. aren't allergic reactions pretty instant? Or can it happen a couple of days later?

Anyway, for the time being, he prescribed me some medrol... and I've been taking this for 4 days now, and it hasn't helped. I itch heavily at night, but in the day time.. I can control it by taking claritin. When I scratch, bump into something, or wear tighter clothing... it leaves a wheal on my skin that lasts for about 30 minutes. As the wheal forms, it starts itching for about couple minutes and swells up. I heard this was called Dermagraphism. Can this be treated? I read a lot of postings saying that this will stay with you forever. Is this true? Why does this happen all of sudden?

This is really upsetting... and frustrating. Is there something that's worked for anyone out there that's had Dermagraphism?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2006, 02:09 PM   #2
    jessica805
    (female)

jessica805 HB User
    Re: Dermagraphism

Turns out I'm not allergic to crab, shrimp or peanuts. They say I might not be allergic to crab, but they do have a lot of toxin. And I guess you can get hives due to a lot of toxin in your body.

I'm done taking the medrol. I guess it helped a little.. the swelling on my face & eyes did go down after taking them. I went to my doctor again, and now I'm on an anti-depressant called doxepin for 2 weeks. He also gave me a higer dose of prenisone, which I'll start taking this weekend.

I feel like I got a bit better.. I'm not as itchy during the day & evening, but that can be due to claritin. My doctor told me that 20% of the population have dermagraphism in their lifetime. Some will last longer than others.. but from the 20%... about 5% of them have it for a long time (meaning longer than 6 weeks.. up to years). I'm hoping I'm not in that 5%...

Old 09-19-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
    jessica805
    (female)

jessica805 HB User

I posted the two previous under allergies, but decided to repost it on here.

I'm done taking prenisone... and doxepin. The itchiness is gone... but I still get wheals when I scratch my skin, accidently bump into something, etc... It's been a month now. It's not bothering me as much. Yes, I want it to go away... but I'm getting used to it now.

I decided to go see a dermatologist. Has anyone had dermagraphism that's gone away?

Old 10-11-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
    bluevelvet7
    (female)

bluevelvet7 HB User

I was told by an allergist that i had dermagraphism. He perscribed hydroxyzine and I've been taking this everyday for the last 10 years now. I've tried to stop taking it, but then I notice in about 2 days I start to feel my palms and feet itch a lot. Sometimes the inside of my mouth itches too. I want to find out more about this condition, and hopefully find a cure for it.

Closed Thread