It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board

• Help: does my daughter have melanoma and is it likely to be malignant?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-11-2007, 03:57 PM   #1
    Bowie
    (female)

Bowie HB User
    Question Help: does my daughter have melanoma and is it likely to be malignant?

My daughter had a lesion removed from her leg a year ago that looked somewhat like melanoma and the biopsy results were positive for atypical cells. The lesion was removed only superficially. One year later, and three months pregnant, my daughter returned to a dermatologist because the "mole" had come back and looked abnormal. It was removed by punch biopsy and we are awaiting results. The lesion was 6mm in diameter. Borders irregular. Some areas raised. Two colors: brown and pink. Removed by punch biopsy last week in Boston (where she lives but I don't). How soon can I expect the results from the biopsy? How likely is this to be malignant? If it is, will she have to end her pregnancy for treatment? What is the prognosis? I know this varies and more data is required but, I'd like an educated suggestion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
    ___vintaqe
    (female)

___vintaqe HB User
    Re: Help: does my daughter have melanoma and is it likely to be malignant?

I'm sorry to hear what you are going through. Was the lesion removed without any further testing? Such as a PET/CAT Scan, blood work, etc. The scary thing about Melanoma is that if it's left untreated for an extended period of time, it can become invasive and attack your lymphatic system, and other vital organs. I can't tell you much besides what I've been hearing for the last month. My boyfriend has just recently been diagnosed with a possible Stage 3 Melanoma, with no signs of lesions. You should have your test results back by now.

Depending on if it is Melanoma, and what stage/level it is in, will depend on the type of treatments she will receive. From what I've heard most forms of Melanoma are treated with Interferon. Some women have had complications with pregnancy on it, and some have delivered healthy children. It really all depends on what the diagnosis is, and what the doctors believe would be the right treatment.

Good luck with everything, and definitely give us an update!

Last edited by ___vintaqe; 08-14-2007 at 10:00 PM.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
    Ladypepper
    Inactive
    (female)

Ladypepper HB User
    Re: Help: does my daughter have melanoma and is it likely to be malignant?

Sometimes pregnancy will initiate changes in moles... You should receive the results within a week or so.

I am curious though, when the mole came back abnormal - did the doctor suggest she go ahead and have it removed to clean margins? That would have been the best thing. Even though MOST abnormal moles will NOT turn into melanoma, it IS possible and the chances of it turning into melanoma is higher than just a regular mole. Make sense?

Until she finds out what the mole is exactly, she should not concern herself with PET scans and all that. The doctor will refer her to what she will need.

[I][B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]>>>How likely is this to be malignant? If it is, will she have to end her pregnancy for treatment? What is the prognosis? I know this varies and more data is required but, I'd like an educated suggestion.<<<[/COLOR][/B][/I]
    No one here can really answer these questions for you until you have more information. I do not think ending a pregnancy would be required (I surely hope not) and as for the prognosis - it totally depends on the results. If it IS melanoma, there are stages and all stages have different statistical prognosis'. But they are statistics and statistics are NOT the way to live.

I will be thinking of you and your daughter and hoping all results are good!

Wishing you the best! Be sure to keep us updated.

Closed Thread