HealthBoards (
-   Skin Problems (
-   -   reaction to toilet paper, pads and clothing? (

Rorie 04-02-2008 05:38 AM

reaction to toilet paper, pads and clothing?
I am looking for some advise. Over a year ago, I started having skin problems in the external female area and down onto my legs. I've been to many doctors. It has been a miserable experience. The conclusion is that I have contact dermatitis...a reaction to something I come in contact with, but we are having trouble finding out what.

I did a patch test with a dermatologist recently and they only thing I reacted to on that was nickel sulfate. But from what info they gave me, I am not in contact with nickel in that area.

I do notice that if I have to use a lot of toilet paper, I get a reaction bad that say when my irritable bowel flares up. I also have a horrible time finding anything to use when I have my period that doesn't make it worse.

I am also thinking that certain clothing items, even my jeans, make it worse.

Questions: what toilet paper is best for sensitive people? I don't see anything labeled on the packages that would let me know. How do I know what is in my clothing that makes it worse? What kind of test would show what dyes in clothing or chemicals I am allegic to?

Any help would be appreciated. The only other thing I can think of is if I am eating something that I am allergic to and somehow it is coming out in my urine or bowel movements that my skin in those areas are reacting to. Is that possible? I have heard there is nickel in some foods like nuts, and nickel is the only thing I know for sure I am allergic to, other than cats!

BigMomma24 04-02-2008 08:23 AM

Re: reaction to toilet paper, pads and clothing?
Maybe the soap you're using? I had a terrible reaction to GAIN powder laundry detergent. Although it smelled really nice, i developed a rash all over. I can imagine, if you're washing your undergarments with a certain soap, it would cause itching in that area, especially since that is a sensitive area. Also, be careful what kind of soap you bathe with. I have to use a very mild soap, since I have sensitive skin, and I buy a feminine wash made especially for sensitive skin for all the "delicate" areas.

Try baby wipes for sensitive skin as an alternative to toilet paper, just in those cases where you have to wipe a lot. The moisture of the wipes will help clean you up better, and then just blot with toilet paper when you are finished. I don't use a special toilet paper, just Angel Soft, which is plain 2 ply. You want to stear clear of anything with dyes, but I don't know if they make those anymore. The really thick toilet paper might actally make it worse, because I noticed it leaves behind a residue. Just something to think about. In the meantime, keep plenty of benadryl on hand, or talk to your doctor about putting you on an allergy med to take daily.

Rorie 04-02-2008 06:42 PM

Re: reaction to toilet paper, pads and clothing?
Thanks for your reply. I use a dye free hypoallergenic laundry soap and no fabric softener. I also have stopped using any soap on the female area and just rinse in water, as the doctors have instructed.

I think I will try the unscented baby wipes for sensitive skin for wiping. Thanks for that suggestion. I am willing to try just about anything to stop the reaction I get. Thanks

BigMomma24 04-03-2008 10:09 AM

Re: reaction to toilet paper, pads and clothing?
Another thing: I get really irritated after being intimate with my partner and sometimes the irritation lasts for days. I've heard that some people can have an allergy to their partner's semen... I thought maybe I was one of those people, since i have a reaction afterwards. I know its an embarrassing topic to bring up on a forum, but that crossed my mind and I thought I'd throw it out there.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:33 PM.