It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board

• recurring dry/flaky patches on forehead

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
    studio
    (male)

studio HB User
    recurring dry/flaky patches on forehead

Hello, I am 20 years old and I have been having these patches of dry sometimes red and flaky skin on my forehead now for a few months. I also get scalp dandruff and very flaky skin in and inbetween my eyebrows. I generally have a very oily t-zone so these dry patches really confused me. The patches started out as one small spot on my forehead that was only there for a few days but now its gotten to the point where I have multiple patches and I've had them in the center of my forehead for two weeks. I just started applying an anti-fungal cream (containing miconazole) a few days ago because based on research it seems like its seborrheic dermatitis but the patches haven't really changed at all. Maybe I just need to wait to see results? Or it's not seb derm?

It's really uncomfortable when talking to people and having these unsightly patches on my face so if anyone has any advice or experience with this I would be very grateful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
    studio
    (male)

studio HB User
    Re: recurring dry/flaky patches on forehead

Well its been about a week and the patches on my forehead are finally going away!! The micatin cream (containing miconazole) is really working! I think I must have seborrheic dermatitis then because the treatment for this involves antifungal creams an shampoos which I have been using. I'm going to keep applying micatin to my forehead twice a day for another week or so like the instructions say. I'm really hoping I can control my skin with this and not have the patches come back as soon as I stop applying. Maybe there are other things I could do to ensure they don't come back like taking biotin? I read this can help keep seb derm away. Any thought?

Old 02-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
    Silas1066
    (male)

Silas1066 HB User

[QUOTE=studio;5076101]Well its been about a week and the patches on my forehead are finally going away!! The micatin cream (containing miconazole) is really working! I think I must have seborrheic dermatitis then because the treatment for this involves antifungal creams an shampoos which I have been using. I'm going to keep applying micatin to my forehead twice a day for another week or so like the instructions say. I'm really hoping I can control my skin with this and not have the patches come back as soon as I stop applying. Maybe there are other things I could do to ensure they don't come back like taking biotin? I read this can help keep seb derm away. Any thought?[/QUOTE]

I think I might have something very similar (see my other post on this). I developed this weird flaky pink skin patch on my temple, and the rest of the skin on my face is dry and itchy. The skin peels off from the patch easily, leaving redness underneath. I haven't tried anti-fungals, but I have done other creams and exfoliants, which so far have not worked.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
    studio
    (male)

studio HB User

Thanks for replying! I took a look at your post and its possible we have the same thing. Different areas of the face but skin conditions vary so much from person to person I think.

Just to update, with just applying the micatin once a week I managed to keep the flaky, red patches off my forehead but about two months ago I developed similar nasty patches on either side of my nose that were slowly getting bigger and moving to my cheeks. I started applying the micatin but the patches barely gave way so I went to my doctor. He thinks I have rosacea and prescribed me with metrogel (metronidazole). I was skeptical but its been a month on this new cream and the patches on my nose/cheeks are finally dissipating. I don't know if I have seb derm or rosacea or a combination of both but at least my treatment is working.

Honestly if you do your research and think you might have seb derm then definetly try an antifungal cream. They are low risk in contrast to some other treatments you could try (like hydrocortisone which was the first cream I every used on my forhead and ended up making things worse). You should probably see your doctor if it gets worse though as it could be something else.

Also just having a mild face cleansing routine with a very gentle cleanser and regular moisturizer helps alot too I think.

Closed Thread

Tags
    dermatitis, face, flaky, forehead, patches