It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board

• widespread case of Keratosis pilaris

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-17-2003, 09:46 PM   #1
    help me

help me HB User
    Question widespread case of Keratosis pilaris

Hello!

I am hoping someone could help me answer some [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif[/img] questions i have about using Retin-A to control an annoying skin condition called keratosis pilaris. My question is how long does it normally take to see results? I have been using it for a couple of months now but, I only use it once every two days because it is everywhere and cause it costs so much. My other question is it doing any good only applying it once every 2 days, or does it need to be applied every day so it does not lose it's strength? I would appreciate anyone's help.

Thank You!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2003, 07:33 PM   #2
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
    Keratosis Pilaris is a condition where the hair folicles are plugged with dead skin and oil. This is usually a genetic condition or tendency.

Not sure how long it would take to get results with Retin-A. What I have read about it, perhaps scrubbing with a loofa would help to clean the buildup off and the Retin-A would help keep hair folciles open.

Have you tried a facial mask to clean pores good? Not sure if this would help with your condition or not but it helps my face when pores appear to be full.

I have used "Pretty Feet" on my face and legs. Put on and then rub good. The dead skin rolls up and falls off. This is a good way to really clean dead, dry skin off and leave pores open.

Old 03-22-2003, 11:51 AM   #3
    help me

help me HB User
    Lightbulb

Thanks for your reply marie55 i appreciate it . I think will start to use a loofah, i read somewhere though that you should not. I am going to try it and see what happens anyways, because it makes sense the way you explained it. Thanks for your help!

Old 03-22-2003, 11:53 AM   #4
    help me

help me HB User
    Lightbulb

Thanks for your reply marie55 i appreciate it . I think will start to use a loofah, i read somewhere though that you should not. I am going to try it and see what happens anyways, because it makes sense the way you explained it. Thanks for your help!

Old 03-24-2003, 01:47 AM   #5
    greenapple
    (female)

greenapple HB User
    ive used salicylic acid based lotions with some success. salicylic acid is supposed to clean out the build up in pores. probably need at least 2% solution. cheers

Old 03-24-2003, 11:18 AM   #6
    help me

help me HB User
    Arrow

Thanks for replying to my post greenapple, I appreciate your help although i have used salicylic acid with lotion and i could not tell any diffence at the end of 10 weeks. I am glad that it worked for you i wish it would have for me too, it would have been a lot less expensive then retin-a.

Thanks

Old 03-24-2003, 11:19 AM   #7
    help me

help me HB User
    Arrow

Thanks for replying to my post greenapple, I appreciate your help although i have used salicylic acid with lotion and i could not tell any diffence at the end of 10 weeks. I am glad that it worked for you i wish it would have for me too, it would have been a lot less expensive then retin-a.

Thanks

Old 03-24-2003, 01:25 PM   #8
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rita HB User
    Whatever you do, DO NOT use loofah on your face (or anywhere). It is very harsh and abrasive and will cause tiny tears in your skin which, in turn, can become inflamed and may also lead to broken capillaries. Stay away from mechanical scrubbers such as loofah or ground up nut shells which are found in many scrubs. These have sharp (although invisible to you) edges which will damage your skin and ( my dermatologist warned me) can cause acne-like flare ups. The best to use is, as another poster mentioned, salicylic acid. L'Oreal makes good products which contain it (Pure Zone line). The products are awsome.

Old 03-28-2003, 08:43 PM   #9
    HalfwayThere

HalfwayThere HB User
    Hi there --

I know that this condition is supposed to be largely genetic, but my experience has convinced me that, at least for me (and surely for others as well), choices we make regarding diet and cleansing options can contribute to and greatly aggravate (or alleviate) the condition.

I have had a problem with massive and rapid weight fluctuation much of my adult life, and in that connection, I have gone through several phases of various extremes of diet and skin care, and in hindsight, I can see that my skin reacts in a very predictable way through each phase:

"BAD PHASE" - When I am going through those phases where I let my weight get "up there," everything else in my regimen falls by the wayside as well. So in addition to eating almost daily doses of unhealthy foods that are high in fats, salts, sugars, and all the other bad stuff, I also tend to become "invisible" to myself. I hide behind loose clothing and my "personal care" regimen disappears. I take quick showers using "any old soap" and don't invest the time and trouble to do "every little thing" that I might do when I'm in my "good phase."

The result: BAD SKIN. My face is constantly breaking out, my pores stay clogged and oily, I get tiny bumps all over my body, and the bumps on the backs of my arms return big time. But the good news is...

"GOOD PHASE" - When I finally decide I've had enough of being fat and hiding out from the world, I usually "bounce back" in a big way. Rather than just watch calories, I COMPLETELY change my diet. NO "bad" fats - only VERY limited amounts of "good fats" in the way of canola or olive oil or flaxseed. No (or very little) red meat. Lots of complex carbs and TONS of fresh green veggies. No processed foods. No (or very low) salt. No sugar. TONS and TONS of water. Regular visits to the sauna AND the steam room at the health club. Using quality soaps and cleansers, and a homemade concoction of ground oatmeal mixed with sugar and a few drops of olive oil rubbed all over my body (including and especially my arms) in the shower several times a week. Mud masks on my face, neck, chest and arms. Regular exercise.

The result: In addition to a new slim body, my skin is so silky smooth that people marvel over it and actually come up to me all day long just to feel it - and it's that way ALL OVER - including my arms, which after a few months of that regimen show no signs of ever having bumps.

But when I fall off the wagon and go into my "bad phase" again, switching back to "bad food," no exercise, limited water and sloppy hygeine, the weight - and the bumps - all return in full force -- until next time.

I've been through this phase several times in my life and it's always the same. So I'm convinced that the bumps can be cured - or at least greatly alleviated - for many people if they incorporate some or all of those components into their lifestyle - (1) healthy foods (very low fat/sugar/salt), (2) lots of water, (3) gentle scrubbing (oatmeal/sugar mixture), (4) sauna and steam, and (5) mud facials.

Your mileage may vary, but you have to admit that such habits certainly can't hurt, and would have other benefits as well! I've been in a "bad phase" for several years now and have recently gotten back on the "good behavior" wagon, and already I'm noticing the bumps starting to be less noticeable.

This is just my opinion, of course, but I hope it helps someone!

Karen

[This message has been edited by HalfwayThere (edited 03-28-2003).]

Old 03-28-2003, 10:01 PM   #10
    help me

help me HB User
    HalfwayThere

Thanks for replying. I think your post make so much sense and i agree with you on alot of it,especially the water. I think i started getting this skin condition around 12 or 13, before that i did not have it and i think it is because i only drank water and i used to drink a ton of it, now that i am older i drink a lot of pepsi and dont have all that much water. I am glad that you can rid yourself of it when you want to, and i probably could to but i always want it to happen overnight so i always go back to the bad habits after a short time. Thanks for replying!

Old 03-29-2003, 06:31 AM   #11
    HalfwayThere

HalfwayThere HB User
    Morning, Help Me

I'm glad you found my post helpful. It would be interesting to see what happened if you could switch to a "water only" regimen (plus maybe cutting back on salt to get the maximum "flushing" benefit") for the next few months and see what happens. Or maybe even just start increasing your water intake (eventually working up to 100 oz a day) while gradually cutting down on the Pepsi.

But I understand about the instant gratification thing. I always joke that God forgot to give me the "patience factor" when he was assembling me, and I not only have ZERO patience to wait for ANYTHING, but as if that weren't bad enough, I have a tendency to begin obsessing BIG TIME over whatever it is I'm waiting for, including "instant beauty" results LOL. So you can bet that anytime I've started using a new product or a new regimen, you can find me poised in front of the mirror with bright lights and a magnifying glass from DAY ONE looking for my results, even if they're not supposed to happen for six months! So for what it's worth, you're not alone!

If you do try the water thing, by all means, please come back here and give us a full report on the results, as I'm very curious to see if any or all of my "no more bumps!" regimen works for anyone else.

Have a great one!

Old 03-29-2003, 12:42 PM   #12
    chrina2

chrina2 HB User
    Lightbulb

Here it goes. I have a very 'inexpensive way' that personally worked for me. I have KP on my upper arms my whole life now that I can remember, and when I got pregnant with my second child it spread to my thighs and buttocks. I tried the urea cream, and lac hydrin aswell a few others. They did nothing by take my money. I realized that the key thing is to keep the skin clean and moist so that the build ups don't get the chance to start. I started using regular old Johnson's Baby Oil after my shower daily. I put it on, and yes, I saw results after two weeks. The Kp on my thighs and butt is completely gone, although my upper arm still hold bits of it. I don't think I'll every completely get rid of it from my arms. But hey, it is worth a try. It makes your skin VERY soft, you smell good, and it worked for me!!! KEY NOTE!!!! --> My experience with it is like all others, you need to do it daily, or at least every second day (I applied morning and night for the first few weeks, now once every day or two). If you miss a few days, the KP starts to return. Let me know if it works for you. Good luck. You have nothing to loose right?

Old 03-29-2003, 02:12 PM   #13
    help me

help me HB User
    Smile

Thanks for the reply. I am using baby oil mixed in with my lotion that i use and it does make my skin a lot softer and it smells so GOOD . I don't know how much good it will do for my skin since it is mixed in with something else but i know it can't hurt. Hopefully i will get rid of this annoying skin condition from all the help i am getting. Thanks for your reply i appreciate it.

Old 03-29-2003, 02:13 PM   #14
    help me

help me HB User
    Smile

Thanks for the reply. I am using baby oil mixed in with my lotion that i use and it does make my skin a lot softer and it smells so GOOD . I don't know how much good it will do for my skin since it is mixed in with something else but i know it can't hurt. Hopefully i will get rid of this annoying skin condition from all the help i am getting. Thanks for your reply i appreciate it.

Old 04-02-2003, 12:43 AM   #15
    Bubbalina
    Inactive

Bubbalina HB User
    Chrina2, i was just wondering how long it took for ur bumps to COMPLETELY go away?

Closed Thread