It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board

• Will I get stretch marks during pregnancy??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2003, 07:50 AM   #1
    remy03

remy03 HB User
    Red face Will I get stretch marks during pregnancy??

I have a question, I am 27 yrs old and got stretch marks on my lower back, hips, and buttocks during adolescence. The are all flat and whitish in color. I am wondering if I have a greater chance of getting stretch marks during pregnancy because i got them when i was younger. My mother, grandmother, and aunts never got stretch marks (so I am hoping genetics will kick in : ) . I know that it is important to maintain your weight and keep your skin hydrated. If anyone has personal experience I would appreciate it.
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2003, 09:11 AM   #2
    siren1024
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

siren1024 HB User
    Hi... hate to tell you this, but it sounds likely to me that you will since you got them in puberty. I have the old faded marks you described from when I filled out on my hips and butt when I was a young teen. I'm 22 now and just had my first baby 3 weeks ago. First of, all, I'm a Mary Kay beauty consultant, and have access to great products. I'm also incrediby vain about my skin. It was in tip top condition when I got pregnant. Let me tell you, I used everything under the sun, drank tons of water, and tried to keep my weight gain down. The only stretch marks I had until 7 months were on my breasts. But around 8 months, they exploded, all over me, and no preventative measures I tried seemed to do any good. And it wasn't just excess weight gain, because I was all baby. The bad news seems to be that the firmer and more conditioned your skin is, the worse your stretch marks will be, because it's never been saggy, stretched, or flawed before. So when it has to do all that stretching so fast, it can be really bad. Plus, as far as weight gain goes, there isn't a whole lot you can do about mild fluid retention in pregnancy, which caused the stretch marks on my upper arms. I wish I knew of a miracle cure.
    DD born 3/24/2005

Old 07-29-2003, 09:21 AM   #3
    remy03

remy03 HB User
    That is what scares me. I must have got them when I filled out as well. I only weigh 105 lbs and I am 5'4. Like you my skin has never been saggy or stretched. Did your mother every get stretch marks? Everybody tells me it has alot to do with genetics so I am a little confused. Where are most of your stretch marks?

Old 07-30-2003, 06:37 AM   #4
    siren1024
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

siren1024 HB User
    I was 5'8 125 before I got pregnant, so I was thin and always had been. My mother did have some on her lower abdomen, but she's always been overweight, so she had more "room" already. But her's were nothing like mine. My first, like I said, were on my breasts because I went from a 34A which I'd always been to a 36C in less than two months. I know most girls already have them there from rapid growth during puberty, but since it took me to the age of 16 to fill out an A cup, I didn't have any before.

Then when I really started growing (around 7 months pg) I got them on my upper thighs first, on the inside and front (the inside ones are really deep) then small ones on my butt, hips, and side, the inside of my upper arms, and REALLY REALLY deep bad ones from my pubic bone to my belly button. Those are the worst, and there was absolutely nothing there but a rapidly growing baby.

I've also heard genetics has alot to do with it, so maybe you'll be lucky. But it seems like if you got them during puberty, you're predispositioned to get them. Believe me, I tried EVERYTHING. Miracle creams did nothing.
    DD born 3/24/2005

Old 07-31-2003, 12:30 AM   #5
    Debbie_80

Debbie_80 HB User
    I've heard this from someone who really knows what they're doing (been in the "child delivering buisness" for 30+ years)
    Apply olive oil to all areas that might get stretch marks (stomach, tighs, butt) do this every day (and night for the entire pregnancy. Don't think about the smell or the stains on the clothes or bedlinen. I can almost guarantee that you won't have any stretch marks. Just masssage the oil into your skin every morning and evening.

Old 07-31-2003, 04:23 AM   #6
    Lindarella
    Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
    Well remy, I hope you don't get stretch marks.

Like siren here, I got them pretty bad. The stretch of your skin is hereditary. There isn't anything you can do to prevent it except pray. Stretch marks develop within the connective tissue layer that's underneath the skin. Nothing you can put on the outside or inside will prevent or remove or fix them.

It sucks to have them as the bikini days were over for me by the time I was 20. The good news is, the kids are healthy and it was worth a few marks.

Old 07-31-2003, 01:42 PM   #7
    kellie2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kellie2 HB User
    Hmmm. I honestly don't know of ANYone who didn't get some kind of stretch marks during pregnancy. It's pretty much a given, and people who say they have NONE, I'd really like to sneak a peek at their sides as I'm sure I'd spot a couple here and there. And unless you can go over every inch of someone nude, they may 'appear' not to have any as the few they do have are nicely hidden under panties or a bathing suit. People think I have none also, but I do - on my sides where it can't be seen. I believe there's no way to completely avoid them as the skin stretches during pregnancy no matter what you do. I really don't see what olive oil - or any moisturizer for that matter - does for prevention as it's not how moisturized your skin is, it's the elastic in your skin that's being stretched, and moisturizer isn't going to stop that. It may keep your skin from becoming itcy when it stretches, but I don't believe it will stop the elastic from breaking.

Old 07-31-2003, 01:52 PM   #8
    Christyus

Christyus HB User
    The olive oil thing they say does really work. But there is a lotion called Palmers with coco butter and it's for pregnacy to help eliminate stretch marks. I used that and that really worked well. But all in all it doesn't matter what shape your in. I have friends who have great bodies and before there kids too and they didn't get stretch marks and I've known heavy people who did get them really bad. It all depends on your body. If your prone you will probably get them but then again you never know. Besides those marks are battle wounds. ha ha

Old 08-03-2003, 07:15 PM   #9
    babygurl

babygurl HB User
    Remy, I was 20 when I had my first child and got stretch marks really bad all over my body. I was 120 when I got pregnant and I am only 5'1". But the good news I guess is that I just had my second child and got just as big with him as I did with her and only got a few extra stretch marks. Nothing major like before. I was also told that if your mother had them you will and my mom had them too. I tried the cocoa butter and all that with my first pregnancy and it didnt work so all you can really do is just try to enjoy your time being pregnant and just think of the reward you will be getting in the end. I hate my stretch marks but I would rather have them and have my kids than have a perfect body and not have them.

Closed Thread