HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Skin Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/skin-problems/)
-   -   keratosis pilaris (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/skin-problems/94494-keratosis-pilaris.html)

magpie 12-26-2000 04:29 PM

keratosis pilaris

Hi,

Has anyone had any luck treating Keratosis Pilaris? If so, I'd like to hear some suggestions. Any kind of info would be helpful. Thanks.

barefoot_gal 01-31-2003 07:04 PM

I recently went to the dermatologist about that and she told me to purchase 20% urea (ureacin) cream. It's available over the counter, though your local pharmacy might not carry it, you might want to ask them to special order it for you. It basically really softens your skin, which I've noticed, and has helped my arms a little bit, although I have yet to notice a change I am really happy with. You might try it though, everyone is different and I know this cream is often recommended for this problem. My aunt a few years ago tried Retin-A, and she said she loved it, it cleared up her skin. However, with Retin-A you cannot go into the sun. I might try that next though, if I don't see further improvement. Good luck!

Anonymity 02-05-2003 12:47 PM

The lac-hydrin presciption strength works for me... if I can remember to apply it 2-3 times a day!

:)

mariee 02-05-2003 12:59 PM

i once tried lac-hydrin but didn't really see results. the derm said it would help with the roughness but not the redness (and the redness is what i was more concerned about). i went to the regular doctor yesterday and asked again about keratosis pilaris, and he said he sometimes prescribes retin-a but most people stop using it because they don't see results. maybe just something we have to live with!

Susannah 09-09-2003 02:57 PM

I am using a 40% urea cream prescribed by my dermatologist called Carmol. It has helped a lot. For some reason, however, it really makes my hands peel. So, I've started wearing plastic baggies on my hands when I apply it (also, vitamin E helped when they were peeling).

Susannah

help me 09-10-2003 01:59 PM

Hello!

I have been using retin-A for a while now and i think it is finally starting to work a little bit. I hope it is NOT something we just have to live with. GOOD LUCK with whatever you try!!

Susannah 09-10-2003 02:28 PM

How long did you have to use the Retin A before it started working? I have a prescription for that, too, but I haven't really tried it yet. I'm really sensitive to almost everything I put on my skin, and I know Retin A is bad for people w/ sensitive skin. But, I might try it eventually. The 40% urea is working wonderfully on one arm, but the other arm still is a little broken out.

Also, since you're pretty cleared up now, did you get rid of the redness along with the bumps, or only the bumps? I was thinking about trying this scar treatment cream called Mederma for the redness, some people had mentioned it to help w/ redness and just slight scarring on the acne board.

Susannah

phoebe911 09-30-2003 09:24 PM

Hi!

This is what I have been doing for the last month now and it has worked magic on my KP bumps.You will not need any special creams or lotions for this...

First rub your entire body with body oil.Soak in a warm bath for 10 mins.Rub vigorously on your skin with a washcloth(watch all those dead skin cells just come out of your skin!)Then after doing this apply a rich lotion all over you body particularly those areas with KP bumps.You could also use baby oil which is very very nourishing-it will leave your skin smooth and supple!Then apply a blob of petroleaum jelly like vaseline all over those nasty KP bumps! Go outside and tan yourself for about 2 hours twice a week for optimum results!WARNING: I do not recommend this for people with fair skin!!!!!!!!Make sure you wear a sunblock!
You will see a vast improvement on your Kp bumps in a month or so! Trust me! I have tried and tested this method! :)

Hope i helped magpie
bye

jdist 10-01-2003 02:29 PM

Hi, Phoebe911,

I'm trying to get your instructions straight and have a couple of questions. First of all, do you do this routine every day? Also, let me see if I have this right: first you put the oil on, THEN get into the tub and soak, then rub down, then apply the lotion, THEN apply the Vaseline to the KP trouble spots?

This is tricky stuff. LOL!

Thanks for your help. I've tried so many different things.

J.

[quote]Originally posted by phoebe911:
[b]
First rub your entire body with body oil.Soak in a warm bath for 10 mins.Rub vigorously on your skin with a washcloth(watch all those dead skin cells just come out of your skin!)Then after doing this apply a rich lotion all over you body particularly those areas with KP bumps.You could also use baby oil which is very very nourishing-it will leave your skin smooth and supple!Then apply a blob of petroleaum jelly like vaseline all over those nasty KP bumps![/b][/quote]