It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Skin Problems Message Board

• Accutane and Body Hair Affect Self-Esteem

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
    TheGlowingOrb
    (male)

TheGlowingOrb HB User
    Accutane and Body Hair Affect Self-Esteem

I am a 22 year old male with low self esteem. Until this past August, I had been on accutane because of back acne.

Anyway, I've been off accutane since like mid-August. I don't really have any back acne. If anything, there are just really faint red marks on my back--maybe the skin is still healing or whatnot. The point is, my acne isn't really bothering me anymore.

Before accutane, I had been doing laser hair removal on my back and shoulders. This is basically my one large insecurity that plagues me. My ethnicity has me pretty pale, and hairy. It sucks. Over time, back and shoulder hair minimized a lot. I mean, I don't know how to judge my hair growth. When I first started laser, it seemed pretty bad. Every time I mention it to my doctor, he just scoffs at me and tells me it's my self-esteem, and that he's seen much hairier dudes.

So, I've been off accutane for roughly 4 months. I wanted to start with the laser treatment again. I waxed my back and shoulders a month ago. It wasn't too bad. For 2 days, my back stung a little. There were some bumps here and there for a week or two, but nothing crazy terrible. I guess my skin doesn't react too badly to waxing. My laser treatment lady (she owns a hair studio and she does a whole bunch of random stuff for good prices, like laser treatment on my back and shoulders for 200$) tells me I shouldn't do laser hair removal now because it'll be a risk. After accutane, you're supposed to wait 6 months.

I feel really insecure about my body. I'm really skinny, which is nice I guess. But I just got a lot of hair. Like, my legs aren't hairy at all, but my chest is really hairy. I trim it down pretty short though and I think I do a decent job in making it look acceptable (I do the whole belly hair, then the line up, then the chest hair, all on #3/1 on the trimmer). When I trim my shoulder hair down (again, it's not too terrible, but it would be noticeable) and when I shave it, it just gets all red and I get a lot of little red dots because shaving my shoulders and the whole collar bone area is kind of tough.

I don't really know where I'm going with this, or what I hope to gain. In all honesty, I feel like I may find myself involved with a girl soon and she's pretty attractive. I'm just worried that I might not meet her standards when it's all said and done. I guess at this point, I'm looking at shaving my back and shoulders when I can, but that never lasts long at all.

Do you think it's all in my head? It sucks that society makes certain people feel so insecure about their bodies. I'm pretty sure I have a tendency to focus on the bad aspects of myself and my body, rather than the good. How do you think a girl would react to what I have described? Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm leaning towards waxing my back every month or so if I don't find myself in situations where I'd have to shave before anything intimate.

Thanks for reading the story of my life...

Last edited by TheGlowingOrb; 11-27-2013 at 03:33 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to TheGlowingOrb:
    movielover40 (11-27-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User
    Re: Accutane and Body Hair Affect Self-Esteem

If a woman won't like you because of some back hair I think you need to find someone else or have her shave your back hair for you.

Best of luck...

Closed Thread

Tags
    accutane, laser hair removal, self esteem