It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Hallucinations after waking from sleep

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #1
    moongrl
    (female)

moongrl HB User
    Question Hallucinations after waking from sleep

I have had sleep problems since I can remember. When I was younger, I used to sleepwalk often and I had intense reoccurring insomnia, which sometimes kept me awake throughout the entire night. Once I got into high school, I had just about finished with my sleepwalking. I still had frequent insomnia but I was able to get enough sleep to get by. I have always had very vivid dreams and I could wake up and tell you every detail about them, but then I started to have something a bit different from just dreams. I would wake up in the middle of the night and it was almost as if I were hallucinating. It started in high school and occurred rarely. It got more serious once I was in college and I had assumed that it was from stress. Eventually, I got so scared and my sleep was being extremely disrupted so I got a sleep study done. All that was shown was that I had “excessive daytime sleepiness” and my doctor offered me medicine, which I told him I would consider. I never took the medicine but I switched off of an allergy medicine that my doctor thought might be provoking some of the vivid hallucinations. At first, I thought it helped; however, I still have problems with these types of dreams today. I am currently 22 years old and I often wake up in the middle of the night. The past couple of months I have had nightmares at least once a night that result in me waking up. Last night was the worst sleep/awake hallucination that I have had in a long time and so I am looking for anyone who has also dealt with something like this. I can’t find anything on the internet and my doctor didn’t seem quite sure what to make of what I told him before. Here is how the hallucinations go:
    I wake up from troubled sleep and I can see my room, but my mind thinks that I am somewhere else, usually at work (but not always). I work as a server so I have to have my hair up. I get concerned because I can’t have my hair down at work and so I put my hair up. Then I realize that I can’t sleep with my hair up so I take it back down. After that, it is a battle back and forth about where I am and what I need to do. Part of me knows that I am home and should sleep and part of me thinks that I am at work. I take my hair up and then back down maybe two or three more times. Sometimes I try to force myself to realize that there is no way that I have a table by remembering how I took the report for the day, etc. Then I try to sleep but I will hear my coworkers telling me that I can’t sleep because I am at work. Usually I just sleep in a t-shirt because I get warm at night. Last night, I was freaking out that I had no pants on at work and so I made myself get out of bed and put on my workout pants and my robe. I got mad at myself because I was going to “check on my table” but I knew that I had nowhere to go because I was at home! I had a difficult time sleeping for the rest of the night as I struggled to convince myself that it was okay to sleep.
    During these episodes, I know I am at home and in my room the whole time. I can see my room. Sometimes I get flashes of whatever place I think I am at and I can tell you exactly what table number I am going to “check on”. The whole time I battle myself because half of my brain knows and the other half doesn’t know. It is IMPOSSIBLE to convince the other half of my brain that I am home.
    I have had one time when I started crying because I knew I was at home and I was so sleepy but I couldn’t stop myself from sitting up in bed and doing the hand motions that I would do if I were working.
    I have had my friend stay over once when it happened. They asked me what I was doing because I was doing arm motions while sitting up. I got really embarrassed, but couldn’t stop and told them to just let me do it because I HAD to finish whatever I was doing.
    I feel as if I am going crazy! Please, if anyone has any information on phenomena like this then let me know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    hallucinations, insomnia, sleep