It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• New mattress help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
    Schaf77
    (male)

Schaf77 HB User
    New mattress help

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and posted this here after reading the sticky thread under general health. I recently purchased a new mattress that is medium firm (a 4.5 on US mattress's firmness to softness scale). First couple of nights I slept on it but then I started having sleepless nights. I am a 5'6" male about 145 pounds and I sleep on my back. I use one pillow to just elevate my head to keep my spine aligned. Now, even with using one pillow that is not too thick, after lying down for a few minutes, my neck feels uncomfortable with a slight pain. This prevents me from falling asleep. So the other night I slept on a different bed in my house that is softer. I also used two pillows to form an incline and I actually slept better. Why would I have this neck pain when my spine is aligned on my new mattress?

Note: I have no lower back pain, only upper like near the shoulders and neck

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2016, 11:35 AM   #2
    JudyLady
    (female)

JudyLady HB User
    Re: New mattress help

Similar issue here. A thick mattress topper fixed the too firm issue. Slept like a champ after that.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-15-2016 at 09:26 AM.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:25 PM   #3
    Balakumar
    (male)

Balakumar HB User
    Re: New mattress help

When you sleep either on soft or too firm mattress it will affect your sleep. If you sleep on too firm mattress you will get so much push on key pressure points and take you out of alignment. If you sleep on too soft mattress the pressure points won't be properly supported and your whole body flops back. The mattress needs to support your body in neutral position. Currently, I am being using Sunday Mattress which gives me perfect level of firmness for my body. I think you may try that..

Closed Thread

Tags
    insomnia, mattress, sleeplessness