It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• How to get off ambien pills?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-28-2016, 08:23 AM   #1
    ladygirl50
    (female)

ladygirl50 HB User
    How to get off ambien pills?

My situation is pretty bad. I have been on slerp aids for over 7 years. Honestly I didn't know that you are supposed to stay on them for more more than several months. By the time I was told i begged my doctor not to take me off.Due to menopause I was unable to sleep for months. Please don't judge me or my doctor it's as much my fault the doctor. The thought of not sleeping was terrifying. I was cut back from 10 mg a night to 5 several years ago . And I do sleep.The situation now is that I can't get off them. And I have tried. The side effects are horrible. To the point that nor having a sleeping pills causes me great distress. I have heard now that studies show that the longer you are on them the chances of altzheimers is high. So any suggestions would be much appreciated . Any free trials for sleep if you know of any. I live in California. Thank you in advance

The following user gives a hug of support to ladygirl50:
    movielover40 (06-28-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: How to get off ambien pills?

Have you tried other, safer sleep aids such as Diphenhydramine or melatonin? Both are over the counter, both usually cause sleepiness. There are several other sleep aids out now, but they seem to have the same drug, Diphenhydramine, in them...again, not recommended for long term use, but certainly a good half way point towards getting you off ambien.

Have you discussed this with your doctor? He or she should have a plan for helping you wean off this drug.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:38 AM   #3
    ladygirl50
    (female)

ladygirl50 HB User

Thank you for your response. The format changed and I didn't see your response. My doctor just said to break them up into thirds and wean off slowly. But there was no set formula given. I looked on the Web to see if there was any as well. Didn't see anything

Old 07-16-2016, 08:36 AM   #4
    ladygirl50
    (female)

ladygirl50 HB User

Have you discussed this with your doctor? He or she should have a plan for helping you wean off this drug.[/QUOTE]

I tried to wean off a year ago..it was horrible. not only was it extremely hard to fall asleep..when I did it was in half hour intervals.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:45 PM   #5
    sonshinelolo
    (female)

sonshinelolo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladygirl50 View Post
    Thank you for your response. The format changed and I didn't see your response. My doctor just said to break them up into thirds and wean off slowly. But there was no set formula given. I looked on the Web to see if there was any as well. Didn't see anything
    U can't get off them I've come to the conclusion. Forget benedryl. Taking them for 20 some years,20mg. Sorry now. Too late.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:56 PM   #6
    Angelofmusic101
    (female)

Angelofmusic101 HB UserAngelofmusic101 HB User

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I too have been on Ambien. I couldn't sleep on my own for several years. I know you had said that it's as much your own fault as the doctors. That's NOT true. Your doctor that prescribed them should've been more careful and watching. When I tapered off I was taking them every other day for about 2 months. I know iit sounds bad but when you've been on them for a long time you need to get off of them. This problem didn't develop over night so your body needs time to adjust to the changes. Lucky for me once I did finally get off of the Ambien my body kind of reset itself because I gave iit several months to do it. Now, I don't take any sleeping medication. I pray the saying will happen to you. If you need melatonin or something like that its not bad at all. Your body right now is "dependent" on the Ambien, which is different than being "addicted." Your body literally doesn't know how to sleep without it. Its OK though. Just take it in baby steps to ween off. God Bless!

Old 09-17-2016, 07:50 AM   #7
    ladygirl50
    (female)

ladygirl50 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Angelofmusic101 View Post
    I'm so sorry you are going through this. I too have been on Ambien. I couldn't sleep on my own for several years. I know you had said that it's as much your own fault as the doctors. That's NOT true. Your doctor that prescribed them should've been more careful and watching. When I tapered off I was taking them every other day for about 2 months. I know iit sounds bad but when you've been on them for a long time you need to get off of them. This problem didn't develop over night so your body needs time to adjust to the changes. Lucky for me once I did finally get off of the Ambien my body kind of reset itself because I gave iit several months to do it. Now, I don't take any sleeping medication. I pray the saying will happen to you. If you need melatonin or something like that its not bad at all. Your body right now is "dependent" on the Ambien, which is different than being "addicted." Your body literally doesn't know how to sleep without it. Its OK though. Just take it in baby steps to ween off. God Bless!
    Very encouraging. Thank you

Reply Reply