It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Scary central apnea, what to do?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
    mangosplums
    (female)

mangosplums HB User
    Scary central apnea, what to do?

Hi,

I am really desperate and looking to see if anyone has experienced what I have and if they have any answers.

In the past few years when I go to sleep on my stomach or my side (which I've slept on my whole life), as I'm asleep and dreaming, I will suddenly experience the sensation that something is sitting on top of my chest, preventing me from breathing. I am a very lucid dreamer, and what happens is I'll be dreaming, I'll start to be unable to breathe, that sensation will incorporated into the dream. I will dream something is lying on my chest, or I'm underwater and drowning. I can feel myself losing oxygen and I try to to breathe, but I can't. It feels like I'm dying. I try as hard as I can to wake myself up, and after a very scary struggle, eventually I can wake myself up, but it feels like I come close to death each time. I now sleep on my back because it rarely happens on my back, but it's very hard to sleep on my back, and I don't get a good or deep sleep. This might only happen once a night, but it is so severe, and so horrible. It feels like if I hadn't consciously struggled to wake myself, I would have died. It feels like I go without oxygen for a very long time.

I have had a sleep study done, but it didn't happen during the sleep study. I was too scared to sleep on my stomach or side. Stupid, I know, I wasted that study. I then got another sleep study done, but I had trouble falling asleep and was only asleep for a few hours, and again it didn't happen.

I don't know what to do. I need to get this documented, because it is so severe, but I'm afraid the insurance company is not going cover another study. I have never heard of anyone having the specific symptoms that I have. It is ruining my life, and makes going to sleep every night a scary experience.

Thank you to anyone who answers.

Last edited by mangosplums; 08-15-2016 at 06:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2016, 06:51 PM   #2
    iowa1972
    (female)

iowa1972 HB User
    Re: Scary central apnea, what to do?

do you think you could ask your doctor for a pulse ox to wear for a few nights, or a week maybe? this would document your oxygen level, so if you were not breathing, it would definitely show on the results?? That might be more inexpensive for the insurance company to cover, instead of another sleep study. Plus, it would give you more time, and more of a chance for this to occur. Best of luck.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:02 PM   #3
    mangosplums
    (female)

mangosplums HB User
    Re: Scary central apnea, what to do?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iowa1972 View Post
    do you think you could ask your doctor for a pulse ox to wear for a few nights, or a week maybe? this would document your oxygen level, so if you were not breathing, it would definitely show on the results?? That might be more inexpensive for the insurance company to cover, instead of another sleep study. Plus, it would give you more time, and more of a chance for this to occur. Best of luck.
    Thank you for the reply. I can ask my doctor about that. That might be a better way to catch it.

Reply Reply