It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board

• Insomnia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2017, 09:01 AM   #1
    punky97266
    (male)

punky97266 HB User
    Insomnia

Hi! Iím a 41 year old male from Oregon and in the last 3 months Iíve been suffering with insomnia. The sleep problems started when I felt faintish at a grocery store a few days before Christmas. I ended up freaking out that I might had a problem with my heart but after numerous tests from a Cardiologist it shows that my heart is fine. But because I was freaking out about my health I started to have nights where I woke up numerous times during night to nights where I donít sleep at all. After three months this behavior is still going on, itís gotten to a point where every night as my head hits the pillow I start to think thoughts that Iím never going to sleep and in turn I start to worry. Iíve tried different medicines (mostly natural) to try to help me sleepÖTrazodone, Hydroxyzine, Melatonin and Unisom and they donít seem to cut. Actually Trazodone did start to help but I didnít like the side effects especially the low pressure and low heart rate at times. Iíve tried Acupuncture and I did feel relaxed after the appointment but my over thinking mind that night made me believe I wasnít going to sleep and sure enough I didnít sleep a wink that night. I do have another Acupuncture appointment this coming Saturday so weíll see if that helps. Does anyone have any suggestions that would help? Does Yoga and Mediation work and any suggestions with a good meditation videos? I know this is weird to ask but does sex help you sleep?
    I did want to add that I had stomach issues this last month and a half but Iíve had Ct Scan and a scope down my throat into my stomach and other than a few pouches of Diverticuli in my colon that isnít inflamed, they couldnít find anything wrong. I did have a bloody hemorrhoid problem but it seems like itís getting better.

The following user gives a hug of support to punky97266:
    movielover40 (04-12-2017)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2017, 09:11 AM   #2
    rd433
    (female)

rd433 HB User
    Re: Insomnia

Try getting dr to prescribe elevil 25 mg. It is not sleeping pill but a low dose of tricyclic antipressant. The side effect of elevil is it makes you sleepy so take it at night. This is also given for migranes..I take it for both.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:14 AM   #3
    rd433
    (female)

rd433 HB User

elevil even helps people with ibs irritable bowel syndrome. I also take it for that.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:46 PM   #4
    Jamesie
    (male)

Jamesie HB User

Try Restoril, 15 mgs and 100 mgs Trazadone. It works for me but the sleep periods are short-4 to 5 hours. My doc just told me to try 30 mgs Tamazepam (Restoril) with the 100 mgs Trazadone for a longer sleep period.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:42 AM   #5
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

Best thing for sleep is go to bed at same time everyday and get up at the same time every morning 7 days a week.

For me I like a dark room, quiet, kind of cool. I read for about 1/2 hour or so before turning the light off. Avoid caffeine for 6-7 hours before bedtime. Avoid naps the same time frame. Exercise earlier in the day.

Best of luck to you. Your not alone....

Old 05-08-2017, 07:31 AM   #6
    Shomna
    (female)

Shomna HB User

I've had success using Super Sleep. It says to take 2 but I take 3. Good luck

Last edited by Administrator; 05-12-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:48 PM   #7
    Dragonfly Wings
    Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User

Hello Punky,

I see you're going the mostly natural path and have already tried Melatonin. I was wondering if it was script strength melatonin you have tried though? My doctor wrote me a script for one that you cannot purchase on the shelf and it has been the only thing to help me sleep.

I hope this helps!
    DW.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #8
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

You asked about sex and natural remedies.
    Sex, is different for men and women...my husband goes into a deep sleep after sex, but I am wide awake! It has to do with the endorphins your brain releases...but you should certainly try it! It might work for you!

I have a problem with insomnia as well. Nothing has worked until I learned about a type of meditation which includes starting at the feet....flex them and tense your toes and relax. Now your legs, flex your muscles in your legs, tense them up, and relax...next the hands (you are laying on your back while you do all of this)...tense and relax. Then the arms, the shoulders and finally your neck. Squeeze your eyes shut and then relax...

Try a white noise machine. I have one which plays soothing sleep sounds. I like the noises which do not sound like birds (too distracting) or waves (makes me want to pee) but more like soothing spa music....mine also has a light...cool yellow nights for night time, bright orange and blue lights for daytime. This helps your body adapt to the world! The noises if I concentrate on them, really help my brain shut down and allow me to fall asleep....concentrating on tensing and relaxing each area of my body while listening to the music signals my brain that its time to relax.

all I can say it good luck! What works for some, doesnt work for others...but I would try everything to stay off the medication. and, by the way, you can increase the dosage of melatonin up to 10 mgs a nights safely. If you are only taking 3 mgs (standard dose) try doubling it up to see if it helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
    Kittycat2014 (07-08-2017)
    Old 01-18-2018, 02:03 PM   #9
    designbo
    (male)

designbo HB User

DW, may I ask what strength your doctor prescribed that script "melatonin"? MG'S...

Closed Thread

Tags
    insomnia, insomnia treatment, sleep anxiety stress